I'd like to break any thoughts right now before I get started... This isn't a guide (currently) to buying classic consoles. I'm curious on advice on getting various vintage game consoles.
I already own the general group of items. (Nintendo, Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis, PlayStation 1, PlayStation 2, etc)
However, what I'm lacking on is some of the older and lesser remembered (as far as society seems) game consoles.
Classic Game Fest is next weekend, and I'm hoping to find a few game consoles to add to the collection. I don't know how successful or unsuccessful I'll be, but I'd still like to try.

In general, what I'm looking for are tips and suggestions as to what I should be looking for (IE specific models or avoiding problematic versions) in the various consoles I'll be listing below. I'm happy to offer suggestions and tips as well on many consoles, but my advice won't be the best honestly. I generally don't care about the outward appearance as much unless it's just awful. ANYWAYS!

The consoles I'd like to acquire soon would be...

Sega Master System - I know there are several models available, but only one or two offer composite output. I realize I'll want an S-Video mod on this if possible. Curious if anybody here at AtariAge does that, or knows someone who does.

Atari Jaguar - I'm curious to give this system a shot since I've honestly never played much of any Atari system. (I have a hard time playing the old old stuff though... Sorry >_<) I need to experience more Atari though to figure out what I missed out on. I know nothing of the console beyond it's general look though... Not even sure about titles.

Atari Lynx - I've seen pictures of it, but I'm curious to try it as well. I've seen a few on here for sale but never took the plunge. I also always see something about blown caps involving the screen? (Did I say that right...)

Turbo Grafx 16 - This one seems to be the most expensive of those I've glanced over. Wouldn't mind having one, but not looking to spend a huge amount on something I have very little experience with. Is the system even worth the effort? If so, need suggestions for games as well. XD

Neo Geo X - Forgot to put in this one. I know they have a re-released Neo Geo X "Gold" package or whatever that comes with a bunch of packed in games with the system plus a handheld piece. Is this thing any good and worth getting over the old Neo Geo system?

Sega Saturn - This one is probably the lowest on the list, but I would be interested in getting one if I can get it for a low-ish price. However, I also don't know very many games I'd want on it, so it's on the back burner for the moment.

Another thing to keep in mind is that my repair (solder) skill is pretty basic (consider a title like SUPER AMATEUR to be appropriate).

I do apologize if this seems lazy or something, but I didn't see anything else like this on the forums. (If I missed it, I apologize and please link me. I searched price guides or console buying guides and came up empty.)

Thanks for anybody who can give any opinion or suggestions on these consoles. I realize the Classic Game Fest may not be the best place to go for these items, but maybe I get lucky and find some killer deals. Even beyond that, I'd be interested in acquiring these items regardless of the convention.

Wouldn't mind a few game suggestions as well of course. ;)

Edited by KeeperofLindblum

These are just some personal thoughts on the consoles.

Sega Master System

Honestly, I say skip it and buy either a Power Base Converter if one of the cards appeals to you or a Power Base Mini if they don't. The PBM works with both a model 1 and model 2, but the PBC (which only works with a model 1 unless a lot of plastic has been ripped off) has a slot for card-based games. The biggest benefit, besides not having to buy a new console, is that you only need to get the Genesis modded to reap the same AV benefits.

Atari Jaguar

Bad console, ugly games. I can't believe how bad some of the games are that are "must-haves". Some decent games are Rayman, Raiden, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, NBA Jam, and Tempest 2000, all of which can be found on other systems, though I will say that the Jaguar's version of NBA Jam has more players and some other extras and people swear by Tempest 2000. Rayman, though? Saturn. Raiden? PS1. Doom and Wolfenstein get on the PC. It just seems a useless system, and the CD add-on is crap.

Atari Lynx

The Lynx was underwhelming. I thought I wanted it, I might still do for Zaku, but I'm not impressed with it very much.

Turbo Grafx 16

The games for this become infinitely cheaper if you get the Japanese versions, though obviously you can't do that for RPGs if you don't speak Japanese. But it's a great little system that has a nice selection of platformers, shooters, and even a few odd-balls. You should check out the thread for it here if you want game suggestions. Personally, I went big bucks and get a Duo and then had it region-modded, but that might be cost prohibitive for some folks. A regular PC Engine isn't a bad start, though, especially if you don't mind RF.

Sega Saturn

Like fighters and shooters? Get a Saturn. Saturn has some more stuff, too, but it really excels at these two genres. I love it for Rayman (as I mentioned earlier), Astal, Clockwork Knight, arcade perfect ports of Space Harrier, Outrun, and After Burner II, Panzer Dragoon, Saturn Bomberman (10 player!), Virtua Cop, and a huge amount of shooters like Strikers 1945 1 & 2, Metal Black, Layer Section, Shienryu, Soukyugurentai, Darius II, and Darius Gaiden; and fighters like X-Men Children of the Atom, Street Fighter Alpha 2, Vampire Savior, and Golden Axe The Duel. There are, of course, a lot more than just those, but I list what I know and love.

If you're a fan of mid-90s arcade stuff, it's the console to get.

• Like 1

I have 3 of these systems and I will breakdown to you the ones that I own and the pros/cons.

Sega Master System: I have the model 1 from 1986. It is the one with Snail Maze built in. In 1988 models it came with Hang On and Safari Hunt built in. In 1990 a cheaper redesigned model 2 was released with Alex Kidd in Miracle World built in. Bear in mind it doesn't have a Sega Card slot to play card games. But about 10 games for it were released and they were mediocre/bad games anyway. Or if you haveva model 1 Sega Genesis. You can go a cheaper route and get the Power Base Converter add on peripheral. It plays all games including the carts. Mine has AV out as well. Great games are. Shinobi, The Ninja, Phantasy Star, Golden Axe Warrior, Alex Kidd in Miracle world and Shinobi World, Outrun, Space Harrier, Wonderboy, and Fantasy Zone. A great library!

TG-16: These are great systems. But are getting high in price recently. I'd go for the PC Engine. Lower in price and the games are cheaper than the U.S. releases. Great shmups like Blazing Lazers and Galaga '90. Platformers like the Bonk series which is super fun, great arcade ports of Splatterhouse and Pac-Land also the hilarious J.J. and Jeff. If you don't mind shelling some bucks go for the TG-16.

Sega Saturn: A highly underrated system. Awesome arcade ports, RPG's and shooters. Also if you get a NTSC model. I highly reccommend getting the Action Replay 4M cart. It is a region lock device as well as a game enhancer. You can play Japanese imports. The fighters are amazing as well.

• Like 1

Neo Geo X - Forgot to put in this one. I know they have a re-released Neo Geo X "Gold" package or whatever that comes with a bunch of packed in games with the system plus a handheld piece. Is this thing any good and worth getting over the old Neo Geo system?

It was great on pen & paper at first. But its a disappointingly made product that your better off getting a PSP to emulate all of the SNK library. Just about everything in general about the unit was below par and not worth the full price for it!

The up-to-date hardware download was also terrible because of the problems with its units! If you had the 370 versions of the NGX, you didn't have problems downloading the new data to play the new games. But if you had the 337 versions, many couldn't download anything because the process was stuck in the loading screen!

Even though I have it for my collection, I wouldn't really recommend it. Seeing that you have better options to play Neo-Geo games on better and more reliable hardware.

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info so far everybody!

Sounds like the Power Base Convertor is the route to go for the Master System.

Looks like not much favor towards the Atari systems either. (lol)

But a lot of suggestion towards the Saturn... Looks like the Saturn should be my next big purchase!

Also will reconsider the Turbo Duo or PC Engine in the future.

Yes, get a Saturn. Just make sure you plan on importing stuff for it. Pick yourself up an Action Replay or a Game Shark to play the Japanese games.

PC Engine is fun but I'd recommend just buying a flash cart for it (Turbo Everdrive) and call it a day, unless you are really hell-bent on paying up for real games (it adds up quick, even if you go Japanese). A system should be fairly cheap (sub-$100) unless you are getting into CD territory (like a Turbo/PC Engine DUO), then those will cost you a couple hundred bucks.

The Jaguar isn't a bad system, I just can't recommend it at the current price it sells for ($100 - $150 for a console without the box). Some of its "better" games are more expensive and it doesn't have a flash cart where you can have the full library loaded up at once (it only has the Skunkboard which only allows a game or two at a time). I will always have a soft spot for the system, but I'll be the first to say you'd be crazy to buy something like that over a better system that's half the price (i.e., the Saturn). Save the Jag for later when you have exhausted your cheaper options, or if you see it cheap ($50-ish), then snap it up.

Master System isn't a bad system to have and you probably aren't going to pay much more for a base console than you will a Power Base converter (unless you are going boxed of course, that always makes the price go up on these older systems). If you have a Genesis flash cart, that will play SMS games too, so that's something to consider. It's a fun library that focuses mostly on arcade-style games. A lot of games are forgettable but there are some 8-bit classics there. Games are still relatively cheap overall.

The Atari Lynx is a really solid handheld if you don't mind being tethered to a wall outlet. Go with a Lynx II. It's not as large as the model 1 and I think it looks cooler. I'm not sure how this system couldn't impress someone--the scaling on this thing should blow anyone away, especially when they consider when most of these games came out. Lots of arcade-style stuff here so if that's your kind of thing I think you will dig it.

Neo-Geo X is not worth owning at the current rates it sells for ($100-ish). Fdurso said it best. It's just cheap and poorly executed compared to other ways you can play or emulate Neo-Geo games. At $50 I think it would be cool to have, but any more than that and you are paying for a pretty box.

• Like 1

If I were handed a free neo geo x, I would expect it to come with additional money to compensate me for the cost of its continued storage. Maybe that's being generous as I don't I don't believe it's even worth the calories it would take to walk it to a garbage can, and walking it home would take even more of them. It is not a neo geo, or even a game system. It is an exceptionally lousy android device doing a terrible impression of one. And that's without going into the 'who stole from who' firmware drama. The omega mvs is a currently available neo-geo that is of high quality--it costs more, but it's actually quite a bargain for what it is.

As for turbografx--if one cheaps out and buys the inexpensive base model, it will require expensive and rare accessories (or modding) to become really useful. For example it doesn't even come with composite video out stock, or the ability to save games. Buying one of the more expensive models fixes some issues. Be aware that the system isn't region free without modding.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

These are just some personal thoughts on the consoles.

Atari Jaguar

Bad console, ugly games. I can't believe how bad some of the games are that are "must-haves". It just seems a useless system, and the CD add-on is crap.

Atari Lynx

The Lynx was underwhelming. I thought I wanted it, but I'm not impressed with it very much.

:mad:

My thoughts

Sega Master System - I'd also skip this one and go for a Mega Everdrive, which will play SMS, Gen, and 32x games.

Atari Jaguar - Like the TG-16 it is a PRICEY one to get into. But there are plenty of great games on the Jaguar. I would start with the base system, an AV cable, two controllers, and a skunkboard. See what you like and buy accordingly.

Atari Lynx - It's great fun, early handheld gaming bliss. A good collection can be put together on the cheap, and the Lynx II really isn't that bad on batteries at all, much better than the game gear in my experience.

Turbo Grafx 16 - Get a regular system, have it AV modded or buy it that way. Then get a Turbo ED and load it up with roms, pure 16 bit gaming bliss. You will also need a multitap if you are going to get into bomberman and all that, but there really aren't a ton of mulitplayer games otherwise so it can be avoided. A controller extension cable is also a must.

Neo Geo X - I don't know much about this one.

Sega Saturn - This should be one of the highest on your list, great system! There are plenty of reasonably priced games still to be found on the Saturn and endless hours of quality gaming to be done. LOVE my Saturn. And yes get an Action Replay Cart. The pricier games you can burn if you just want to have fun and not get ebay gouged $140 bucks for burning rangers or house of the dead.

I'd say the TG-16 is my favorite of those, systems, but is, as noted, expensive to collect for. AV/Region modded PC Engines seem to go for about 100$ on ebay....I wish I had gone that route as opposed the American way. Great library of games.

SMS is next IMO...I WAS going to suggest you get a Power Base Mini from Stone Age Gamer, it's just a new version of the Power Base Converter. However, mine is the older one and I only paid 30$....there is now a version which gives you FM sound on games that have it. BUT, it's 64.99, which is more than you'll pay for a Power Base converter. Still...cool to have FM sound ability.

Jaguar, Neo Geo X...no comment. Ahem.

The Master System 1 is the way to go if you want plug and play composite output, but the SMS 2 model can be modded for composite (I have one that's been modded for RGB). The original Master System also has other benefits like compatibility with card games, Light Phaser and 3D glasses so it's a must if you're serious about collecting for the system.

A Mega Drive/Genesis with an SMS converter/Everdrive isn't a bad deal, but backwards compatibility doesn't cut it for me. Whether it's PS1, Gameboy or Master System, I can't take the games seriously unless they're on the real thing.

I love the Lynx. Sound/video capacitors are an issue with any handheld (at some point you'll either have to learn how to solder or pay someone else to do it for you), but the Lynx is pretty durable in comparison to the Gameboy/Game Gear. The games are pretty cheap too; if you're ok with loose, you'll pick up a library of 40+ games without even trying.

Nothing to think about with the Saturn. Do it.

• Like 1

Sorry to say but Robo Shit would not top my sega Saturn list. Keep building your library though, plenty of Saturn gems to be had.

Yeah, that was kind of my opinion on it, but I needed a game to test out the console to be sure it worked before I left.

(Classic Game Fest is in Austin, Texas, and I live in central Oklahoma. A bit of a trip if I had to do something. lol)

I honestly might need precise suggestions for games at some point.

FOR THE MOMENT... Sega Saturn obtained!

I'll slowly work on building a library for it. Probably not anytime soon because a bit broke after CGF.

That leads up to the next purchase... Probably do the Power Base Converter for the Sega Genesis. (I have a Model 1 so that should be easy.)

• Like 2