IGNORED

Astro-Storm - My new RB+ Game

Well here it is. The updated version.

Change List:

- Added navigation mini-game every two levels. Fly inside the rectangles to boost your score. Hopefully the sound effects here will annoy everyone.

- Added Highscores!! If running with MemoryTrack these are saved too!!!

- Main menu shows highscores every 5(ish) seconds if you leave it there before playing.

- Replaced sprite based Starfield with Particle based starfield.

- Fixed areas of game running too quickly once new particle field added :twisted:

- Few tweaks to graphics.

Seems to run roughly the same speed on real Jag and VJ, so haven't compiled multiple builds.

Thanks to all the Reboot peeps for helping out when it was needed and adding new stuff to RB+ :thumbsup:

This isn't the final version, i'm not done with it yet.

Attached are various image formats for (hopefully) your pleasure.

AstroStormV11.abs

AstroStormV11.rom

Edited by Sporadic
  • Like 5

The intermission is fun - well done! I'd suggest you ramp up the difficulty though, like making the time finish faster on later levels. Or how about changing colours in the boxes and avoid (for example) the red ones instead of having to pass through them? Also, is it possible to show more than one box per time to give a better feeling of being in a tunnel?

All in all I'm glad rb+ working well for you - makes all the hours I've put in worthwhile :D.

• Like 1

The intermission is fun - well done! I'd suggest you ramp up the difficulty though, like making the time finish faster on later levels. Or how about changing colours in the boxes and avoid (for example) the red ones instead of having to pass through them? Also, is it possible to show more than one box per time to give a better feeling of being in a tunnel?

All in all I'm glad rb+ working well for you - makes all the hours I've put in worthwhile :D.

Yes I like that idea too. Avoiding certain navigation boxes. Perhaps show an asteroid instead of the green box and dodge that....

The level time (shield) itself does run out quicker the higher the level gets but I might make that more apparent. I could also make the navigation stuff move quicker too, the further you get.

As I said, i'm not finished, I just wanted to get that version out with highscores and a peek at the mini-game. I will definitely try and expand on it some more.

RB+ is awesome and thanks for all the work. I never thought i'd be writing games for my Jag. I don't have the time really to learn machine code etc so finding you guys had done this was a wonderful surprise.

Then my other half surprised me with a Jag CD drive a few months back (best surprise gift ever!) and the rest is history :grin:

• Like 3

Enjoyed that. Of course, you put out a test version of something and everyone has their say on what your game should be, and I won't be any different :P

Liked the intermission levels, changes things up nicely. I found myself wanting to say yes... Yes... YES! with each successive pass through T2K -style, that lead me to think that combo-scoring would be good for that (as well as for the main game timer countdown after each rock) and it'd also be nice if you were actually collecting bonus/time for the following level. I know those kinds of things add a layer of depth some of the more sadistic and score-hungry gamers appreciate and offer more incentive for one-more-go gameplay.

The stars look good in game, nice work there. I could have sworn they were moving inversely to my movement in the bonus stages, but that was probably just an effect of seeing the green boxes move around and my brain interpreting things differently to how they really are :0)

Think this is looking like being a decent release when finished, got some nice touches.

• Like 1

Enjoyed that. Of course, you put out a test version of something and everyone has their say on what your game should be, and I won't be any different :P

Liked the intermission levels, changes things up nicely. I found myself wanting to say yes... Yes... YES! with each successive pass through T2K -style, that lead me to think that combo-scoring would be good for that (as well as for the main game timer countdown after each rock) and it'd also be nice if you were actually collecting bonus/time for the following level. I know those kinds of things add a layer of depth some of the more sadistic and score-hungry gamers appreciate and offer more incentive for one-more-go gameplay.

The stars look good in game, nice work there. I could have sworn they were moving inversely to my movement in the bonus stages, but that was probably just an effect of seeing the green boxes move around and my brain interpreting things differently to how they really are :0)

Think this is looking like being a decent release when finished, got some nice touches.

Yes I agree, there is lots of potential for some creative scoring. Thanks for the ideas, they are all taken on board.

I'm glad it's being enjoyed :)

The stars do go much faster in the bonus round, perhaps thats why it messed with your eyes. I've only tested on a PAL Jaguar, not sure if that's relevant.

Lets see if I can get some more done this week.

• Like 3

Spinning boulder coming at you looks quite cool :twisted:

I need to swap out with a higher resolution sprite (to avoid uber much blockiness) and add in the 'dodging' code logic etc.

Also as mentioned elsewhere, something to point you in the direction of the next navigation box would be useful. Especially now you have to dodge stuff, as you aren't following a direct path any more.

• Like 1

btw, I noticed a couple of times that when I say moved left to go through the box, I think the next one must have been effectively off screen to the right, I didn't catch a glimpse. It'd be nice and fair if that couldn't happen.

btw, I noticed a couple of times that when I say moved left to go through the box, I think the next one must have been effectively off screen to the right, I didn't catch a glimpse. It'd be nice and fair if that couldn't happen.

sounds like you need to brush up on your flying skillz :P

Yes, i'm aware of this. I'll try counter it with some kind of hud or something. I think occasionally it's possible for the nav sprite to wrap to other side of the screen.

I have also added a threshold to stop them being too far apart but if you miss one then it's hard to find the next.

Edited by Sporadic
  • Like 1

Todays update;

- You now have to dodge the rocks in the navigation section.

- If you hit a rock you loose a quarter shield.

- If you successfully fly through a navigation rectangle then you gain a quarter shield.

- Shield is no longer replenished at the start of each level. You must collect Nav points to replenish instead.

- Nav Score bonus worked out depending on number of navs collected.

- Game bonus worked out based on hit accuracy and shield remaining.

• Like 4

Todays update;

- You now have to dodge the rocks in the navigation section.

- If you hit a rock you loose a quarter shield.

- If you successfully fly through a navigation rectangle then you gain a quarter shield.

- Shield is no longer replenished at the start of each level. You must collect Nav points to replenish instead.

- Nav Score bonus worked out depending on number of navs collected.

- Game bonus worked out based on hit accuracy and shield remaining.

photo-42253.jpg

• Like 4

With your permission, maybe we could have a section on the RB+ website to host binaries (and possibly source) of programs created using RB+ ?

Would be nice to have a central repository for RB+ applications.

I love the fact that 1/1 in that todo list has to do with me slaving away to add moar pages to website :P.

• Like 4

With your permission, maybe we could have a section on the RB+ website to host binaries (and possibly source) of programs created using RB+ ?

Would be nice to have a central repository for RB+ applications.

Yes I'm happy for the binaries to be hosted on the site.

I think that's a great idea actually because it can be awkward for people to find the correct binaries in forum threads etc.

Todays Tweaks;

- The top/bottom/left/right navigation markers now show up to tell you the location of the next thing coming at you.

- If its a rock and you hit it then loose 1/3rd health.

- If its a nav box and you fly through it then you gain 1/8th health.

- Sound effect for rock hit.

- Added a pause between nav items so you have chance to react. The nav markers will show you where its coming from.

- Sped up the shield reduction in main game.

- Star trails in the navigation mode.

- Reduced colour depth to 4bit for things it doesn't affect visually.

To me the navigation part feels much better now.

I'm tempted to add little score sprites when you score something. Like +100 or +150 etc etc.

I'm really enjoying this and when I'm not doing it then it's one of the main things on my mind that I want to be doing :)

Oh yeah, when its "finished" I'll be adding credits and loading screens etc :)

• Like 3

May have just added screenshake when a rock hits you lmao

Started on a score sprite system as a little visual cue for points earned while playing. +100, +200 and +500

Edit: Currently doing the screenshake by jiggling the main "screen monitor" graphic. Which I am more than happy with. It got me thinking though...

Does anyone know a better way of doing this? Perhaps something like changing the actual whole display location? If so, would this be more efficient etc ?

Edited by Sporadic
  • Like 1

Perhaps something like changing the actual whole display location? If so, would this be more efficient etc ?

There isn't really a screen location as such, as the screen is created 1 line at a time and not as a whole screen. Having said that, there's probably stuff you could mess with to do something like that, poke around with tom's registers, but it's the kind of territory where things might just assplode so good luck if you go there :P