IGNORED

10 Great Nintendo FAMICOM Games

Nintendo collectors may not realize that collecting Japanese Famicom games can be a cheaper option AND get you some games that we never got! Game Collector John Riggs shows us some fun & cheap Famicom games for Nintendo fans!

Games Shown:
Akumajo Special: Boku Dracula-kun
Splatterhouse: Wanpaku Graffiti
New Ghostbusters II
Parodius Da!
Star Wars
Joy Mech Fight
Kid Niki 2
Samurai Pizza Cats
Holy Diver
Wai Wai World 2: SOS!!
What other Famicom games would you recommend to a non-Japanese speaker like me?
  • Like 3

Glad you're giving the Famicom some love! I think it's shockingly neglected among most US collectors.

Personally, I'm not much interested in the later-NES platform style games available for it - the kind that take dozens of hours and infinite patience to beat. What fascinates me is the early golden age arcade-style games that the Famicom got that the NES never did. Here's a list of some of the titles I'm talking about:

Pac-Land

Tower of Druaga
Dig Dug
Mappy
Sky Kid
Warpman (Warp Warp)
Space Invaders
Pooyan
Road Fighter
Circus Charlie
Binary Land
Sky Destroyer
Gyrodyne
Super Arabian
Ikki
Route 16 Turbo
Galaxian
Nuts and Milk
Front Line
Crazy Climber
Super Xevious
Devil World
With a library of games like the above, the Famicom feels less like an NES and more like a long-long cousin of the 5200 and Colecovision - the generation that's at my sweet spot of gaming. And as a bonus, the carts have none of the frustrating blinking/blank screen issues of an NES.
  • Like 1

Very nice video. :)

As an indirect follow-up, I would suggest doing a video about Famicom games and their renamed NES counterparts. For example, I'd be curious to know under what name the NES game Shatterhand was released in Japan (I've never really bothered to check until now). You could pack a bunch of those Famicom-versus-NES-game-names in a single video, with some short gameplay segments that show the different title screens.

From there, you could probably do a similar video for the Sega Master System, and then move on to the 16-bit consoles.

Just an idea... (which I'm thinking you may have already done in the past! If so, please ignore.) ;)

• Like 1

I really dug this video! Perfect timing, really -- Mrs. S and I have been on a Famicom kick lately, with a few of these in the mix at our house. And I've got no complaints about this excellent list (I LOVE Parodius, Holy Diver, and the Wai Wai World games), but I'd definitely add the Famicom-exclusive TwinBee, Gradius II, and Crisis Force to the list if you like shooters. Konami made some awesome shooters in those days, didn't they?

Oh, and my wife's fond of Yume Penguin Monogatari -- a game about a penguin, who returns home from his (starring role in) Antarctic Adventure, gets lazy and fat, his wife leaves him for another penguin, and he goes on a quest to lose weight and win her back. You collect diet drinks to slim down while avoiding eating all the food enemies fling at you, and you have to lose a certain amount of weight or you don't beat the level when you beat the boss in levels that alternate between a Kirby-ish platformer and Gradius-influenced horizontal shooter. It's equal parts adorable and BONKERS.

Awesome video MJ!! Have any intentions of getting the disc system attachment? The belts are a pain in the rear and go bad over continuous play but it's a great peripheral. Doki Doki Panic is such a great game for it, and that is the reason why I bought it. And I also have Super Mario Bros 2 (The Lost Levels).

• 2 weeks later...