IGNORED

Rolling Thunder & 720

Linndrum

I've seen these games mentioned in old magazines and other places, and I'm just wondering if anyone knows how much progress was made on either one? I remember seeing screenshots of 720 Degrees so I know it had some progress but I'd love it if somebody finds a Rolling Thunder prototype one day!

It'd be great if i did, but realistically i'm not expecting anything back.Been fair while now and who knows it might of been another case of by art..he only did the title screen or something :-( had that a few times in my searches.

Think in many cases like this coders, artists would simply rather forget about games that never made it, sure looks great on a C.V involved in a 'Big Name' title..hmnn... but to actually discuss it..not so keen.
Still time will tell.

I had an EGM with a screen shot of it in action, Albatross was ducked down with a masker coming at him in the tire section of the first level! I'd like to think it was the game in action anyways. I remade the stage 1 song a long time ago with Madtracker though and I'm working on a pokey version right now:

https://soundcloud.com/t1gerdog/rolling-thunder-standard-level

Rolling Thunder is one of my favorite games ever, I'd love to see a Lynx version. Same for 720!

Edited by Linndrum

I think we had that posted somewhere here too... but something seemed off, leading to some doubt if this is really from the Lynx version. Sadly, magazines back in the day mislabeled screenshots from other systems quite often to have something to show... but it could be legit too, of course.

Cool remix of the track btw! Maybe you want to use Chipper for another version, which is the Lynx tracker most people use these days I believe.

Yep, sadly there's quite a long history of magazine screen shots either being mock-up's released to the press for previews/advertising (ZX Spectrum Nemesis+Toki, Databyte's Adam Caveman etc etc) or taken from very early versions of code that were never going to represent final version (C64 Operation Thunderbolt).

Marketing always needed something to work with in advance and the mags when faced with a choice of either going with no screens, just text or using what they were given, would usually go for the latter.
Screens i've seen doing the rounds of Rolling Thunder (and Cabal) looked far too high resolution to be actual Lynx screens.
It would be great to finally 'put to bed' just what became of 720/Cabal/Rolling Thunder etc on Lynx.
  • Like 1

@Linndrum:You sound something like myself with regards to Lost Games....

Even if part of you is geared up towards worst case scenario (coding never really got started/never started at all... screens seen in magazines were simply mock-ups created for marketing purposes etc etc) at least when your told by a realiable source who was involved with the game at some level, you have the degree of closure your looking for.

If it's left open, it kinda nags away at you and your always left think WTF really went on with that?..do i trust what was promised/shown or what?.

• 6 months later...

As i mentioned in the specific RT thread, i did ask about various Lost Lynx Games, in my as of yet unpublished interview:

'Cabal, 720, and Vindicators were in development, but I believe were not a top priority for the developer. I had seen all but Rolling Thunder at one point or another in their development. When i moved out of the testing department and took over duties as an associate producer I was assigned many of the old Lynx titles, they called me “the finisher”… '
Link when interview is live.
  • Like 1

Speaking for myself, it came as rather sad news to discover that such high profile titles were not viewed as a top priority for the developer.

The Lynx was screaming out for conversions such as these and judging by the amount of times they have been asked about, a lot of people seemed to want them.

I am eternally grateful to Ted for sharing the information with the greater Atari community, it might not of been the news we wanted to hear, but at least it helps explain what happened.

• Like 1

And than you for the feedback :-)

The 'interviews', such as they are, do take a lot of time to carry out, from both sides involved (myself and the person or in this case the husband and wife team) and then further work for Hal over on Grumpy Old Gamers, to get written up.
They are purely done to try and get some insights into what became of titles i myself very much wanted to be playing on Atari hardware and judging by amount of interest in them over the years, others did as well.
Once the information is obtained, i try and share it, freely, where ever possible.
Fully aware they aren't for everyone, but they were created with that intention.
If the info is enjoyable/useful to just a mere few, i consider my free time well spent.
So yes, the feedback is appreciated.
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Ok, Update Time:

I did manage to get in contact with Joel Seider, who worked on Lynx Rolling Thunder and this is what he had to say, regarding the game:

"

Rolling Thunder for the Lynx was developed in our Lombard office. I knew the programmer who was assigned the project, as well as the artist. In those days, you typically only had a single programmer and a single artist work on a project, or in some cases, one person who did both.

The project itself was badly delayed due to the programmer being in over his head. In addition, the art was subpar. I think the project was later assigned to a different programmer and I was asked to step in and help out with artwork. In my early years, I did both programming and artwork before later focusing mainly on programming. I worked on redoing all the characters and their animations to look more like the arcade game. If I recall correctly, the second programmer also was in over his head and the project was eventually cancelled.

You can quote me, but please be sure to preface any quotes with the caveat that my memory from those days are a bit foggy now!"

I'd like to thank Joel for his kindness in sharing this with the community and taking the time to get back to me, about an obscure question.

• Like 3