IGNORED

[WIP] Trollish Comment Generator

What is this?

Some people were apparently born to be trolls - they can come up with rude, annoying, and inane comments all day long, with seemingly no effort.

At the other extreme, some people are so bound by arcane concepts like "good manners", "respect for others", "common courtesy", etc that they couldn't possible be trolls, even if their lives depended on it.

But what about people in the middle? Maybe you WANT to be obnoxious, and irritating, and drive other people crazy, but you just can't come up with enough annoying things to say? Does this describe you?

If you are in this middle group, and you have an Intellivision (or a compatible emulator), then you are in luck!

Intellivision to the Rescue!

This revolutionary program takes ancient mad-lib technology, combines it with the new multi-random capabilities of IntyBasic 1.1, and couples it with the power and fury of the Intellivision 16 bit processor to generate more trollish comments than you could possibly want or use...

Best of all, it's absolutely free (for a limited time…) ;-)

Give it a try…

post-14916-0-47557500-1437243150_thumb.gif

post-14916-0-46203300-1437243149_thumb.gif

tcg.rom

(disclaimer - no actual intend to insult or offend anyone is intended or implied. If the program offends you, please delete it…)

Edit: Here's a gif. Click to animate...

post-14916-0-45652700-1437311607_thumb.gif

Edited by catsfolly
  • Like 7

I added GIF animation to the first post so people could see what the program looks like (without having to download the whole 5.5 k tcg.rom file.)

Oh thank God. My Q-link account has maxed my 120 baud modem for the month. Mom and Dad are gonna be sooo pissed when they see their Mastercharge bill.

• Like 2

Oh thank God. My Q-link account has maxed my 120 baud modem for the month. Mom and Dad are gonna be sooo pissed when they see their Mastercharge bill.

You laugh, but I almost got banned from a BBS for downloading a 15K byte GIF with my 300 baud modem. With XModem, that took almost 15 minutes. To be fair, the next slowest caller was 2400 baud, and most had moved to 9600 or 14.4K by then.

I was still in scrounge mode (since my only income was a crap-ass paper route in a small town), and had scored a 300 baud acoustic-coupled modem from a DECwriter II teletype basically for free. Still have it out in the garage somewhere.

Edited by intvnut
  • Like 3

You laugh, but I almost got banned from a BBS for downloading a 15K byte GIF with my 300 baud modem. With XModem, that took almost 15 minutes. To be fair, the next slowest caller was 2400 baud, and most had moved to 9600 or 14.4K by then.

I was still in scrounge mode (since my only income was a crap-ass paper route in a small town), and had scored a 300 baud acoustic-coupled modem from a DECwriter II teletype basically for free. Still have it out in the garage somewhere.

I wasn't laughing. I lived in a small town and was basically cut off from online life for my entire childhood for exactly the reasons I was talking about :(

OK. I was laughing. About a 5k file in 2015. My Xbone just downloaded a 7.2GB "update". UPDATE. For a single game. That played perfectly fine before now. What the hell did they do, re-draw every texture??

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Source code for inclusion in the samples directory of the next IntyBASIC release?

What is this?

Some people were apparently born to be trolls - th{snip}

attachicon.gifshot0003.gif

attachicon.gifshot0004.gif

attachicon.giftcg.rom

(disclaimer - no actual intend to insult or offend anyone is intended or implied. If the program offends you, please delete it…)

Edit: Here's a gif. Click to animate...

attachicon.gifmvi_0003.gif

• Like 1

Source code for inclusion in the samples directory of the next IntyBASIC release?

Well, I think sooner or later Intybasic will get some kind of support for strings, and then this program will not be a good example

(people will look at it and say "Why did this guy write such twisted code when he could have just called the string functions?").

So maybe it is not a good candidate for the samples directory...

Here is the current source code if you are interested...

tcg.bas

Catsfolly

• Like 5

Well, I think sooner or later Intybasic will get some kind of support for strings, and then this program will not be a good example

(people will look at it and say "Why did this guy write such twisted code when he could have just called the string functions?").

attachicon.giftcg.bas

Catsfolly

I would be glad to include this sample contribution if you like ;)

• Like 2

attachicon.giftcg.bas

Catsfolly

If you had to write this back in the day, using the tools available then (including the EXEC) would it have taken a lot longer to do this in assembler vs how much time you spent on the IntyBasic version?

• Like 1

The use of "asm string" is interesting. Why did you chose to do things that way, instead of any other? I'm always looking to learn new angles...

Thanks.

Because IntyBasic has no support for Strings like other Basics

you can't (yet) do the following:

String1="Goober"
String2="Goof"

or

Dim String_Array (2)
String_Array(0)="Goober"
String_Array(1)="Goof"

Oscar has mentioned better string handling for future versions. The next version will have the following:

Len(string)

so you don't have to manually figure out how long text is (for centering when PRINTing etc)

• Like 1

If you had to write this back in the day, using the tools available then (including the EXEC) would it have taken a lot longer to do this in assembler vs how much time you spent on the IntyBasic version?

Good question!

Unfortunately, it has been over 30 years since I have looked at the exec, so I can't remember if it has any string support or not.

In general, I feel writing in IntyBasic is much less tedious than assembly, because it takes a lot fewer lines of IntyBasic to do the same work as in assembly. Fewer lines means less typing and less code to maintain, and fewer opportunities for typos and other mistakes.

On the other hand, on this project I was fighting against the limits of IntyBasic's data structures, while if I had used assembly I could have set up my data exactly the way I wanted it.

I did an "easter egg" for the game Intellipongola where, after the game ended, a text box popped up and showed a ridiculously long chat session between two Bill and Ted type characters. The chat session repeats a few times, and then one of the characters gets tired of saying the same things over and over, and so in order to "say something new" he uses the random number generator to make new sentences - but of course they are just random.

post-14916-0-06771700-1438960322_thumb.gif <-- click to animate, dude!

This project was about the same level of complexity as the Trollish Comment Generator, and as far as I can remember, it took about twice as long to write. But maybe that is because it was my first time to try and do this sort of thing....

Catsfolly

Edited by catsfolly
  • Like 5