IGNORED

FS: NES Controller Mod to work on Colecovision/Atari

Jeremy Popp

ADDED NEWLY MODDED NES CONTROLLER & Advantage Joystick SOLD

I would like $30 shipped for the NES controller OBO. My prices will be lower than what you see on ebay, and elsewhere because I am new to this and consider it a fun hobby.

They are modified to work on the Colecovision AND the Atari 2600. They may work on other systems, but I am new to modding and cannot confirm. This mod allow both buttons to be used from the colecovision, so for example, Cosmic Avenger works with both buttons (You can shoot and drop bombs).

For the standard NES controller, you will need a colecovision controller plugged into port 2 of the console to allow game mode selections.

OBO. Open to trade offers, looking for Colecovision Power Supply & Atari 5200 Power Supply. I mostly collect Sega stuff, but open to other systems/games/etc as well.

DSC06510.jpg
DSC06511.jpg
DSC06512.jpg

cords are approx 5.5' long

Edited by Jeremy Popp

On my SI Radica mod, I added a pass through to allow the player to plug in another controller. There is a lot of room in there, and you should consider mounting a DB9 port in the side to allow someone to connect the CV controller and use the buttons right there on player 1.

These work with the 7800 too? Might be interested in the SI controller if so, depending on price...

To be safe, I would say no. I know it will work for 7800 1 button games, in the same way a 2600 joystick works on 7800. But based on mods I looked up, adapting to the 7800 requires a bit more handy work. I wish I had one to test though.

On my SI Radica mod, I added a pass through to allow the player to plug in another controller. There is a lot of room in there, and you should consider mounting a DB9 port in the side to allow someone to connect the CV controller and use the buttons right there on player 1.

Thanks for the heads up, I knew I saw another plug/play SI mod somewhere, must have been yours. Thanks for the tip, I wish I could source some DB9 ports/cables, male and female in black. I can get some white ones locally, but they're the PC variety and don't look great.

I'm also a bit interested in that Space Invaders controller, but I'm up in Canada (Vancouver) so I assume it might be pricey?

Send me your address and I'll get you an estimate.

That is a slick idea re-purposing those clunky plug and plays that nobody wants and every garage sale has an abundance of, great idea man!

Some of the plug and plays are garbage, but this one is nicely built. Also, it was broken when I got it, so a perfect example to repurpose.

I did one of the SI mods for 2600/7800. It really is a great controller. I was surprised how well built the microswitch joystick was on the Radica SI plug-n-play. It looked to me like the buttons were also set up to accommodate microswitches, but they'd opted for cheaper rubber-bumpy switches on mine.

To the OP, it's not too difficult to make it 7800 2 button compatible. I'd recommend doing it if you want to sell these. Opens up the market to people like me who hate the OEM 7800 controller. I built mine specifically so I'd have a controller for 7800.

Edited by BigO

I did one of the SI mods for 2600/7800. It really is a great controller. I was surprised how well built the microswitch joystick was on the Radica SI plug-n-play. It looked to me like the buttons were also set up to accommodate microswitches, but they'd opted for cheaper rubber-bumpy switches on mine.

To the OP, it's not too difficult to make it 7800 2 button compatible. I'd recommend doing it if you want to sell these. Opens up the market to people like me who hate the OEM 7800 controller. I built mine specifically so I'd have a controller for 7800.

Yeah, my SI has the same buttons, would have been really sweet if they added micro switches to the buttons, but probably added more cost.

I'm looking into the 7800 stuff right now, but I don't have a console or extra controller to reverse engineer. I hate the idea of selling something that I cannot personally verify working. I understand the 7800 joystick issue though, same reason I did the coleco mod, poor original controllers. I also have a sega genesis one modded for my coleco.

ADDED ANOTHER NES CONTROLLER AND PRICE UPDATE ON SPACE INVADERS JOYSTICK PRICE.

Thanks for the heads up, I knew I saw another plug/play SI mod somewhere, must have been yours. Thanks for the tip, I wish I could source some DB9 ports/cables, male and female in black. I can get some white ones locally, but they're the PC variety and don't look great.

I did my mod for Intellivision. At least the one with the pass through. I got basic silver DB9 ports on Ebay for peanuts.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Are the turbos on the Colecovision-modded Advantage still functional? And if so do the speed control knobs still work?

Unfortunatly, No, the turbo buttons don't work - only A, B buttons and joystick. If someone figured out a way to make the turbo work, I would be impressed, and would love to see how it's done.

Unfortunatly, No, the turbo buttons don't work - only A, B buttons and joystick. If someone figured out a way to make the turbo work, I would be impressed, and would love to see how it's done.

Easy use a 555 timer. Basic electronics 101. Nothing special at all.