Photo

midi module or synthesizer connected to the TI-99/4A

synthesizer midi

89 replies to this topic

#76 sparkdrummer OFFLINE  

sparkdrummer

Dragonstomper

• 777 posts
  • Status? I don't need no stinkin' status!

Posted Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:17 AM

The yards looking better and better. Thanks for your efforts!

#77 sparkdrummer OFFLINE  

sparkdrummer

Dragonstomper

• 777 posts

Posted Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:31 AM

Jumpered 7&8, swapped the other 2 and hooked that puppy up. Works great! Is there a way to transfer midi files to the ti?

#78 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

TI-Runner

• 10,617 posts

Posted Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:26 AM

Now that things appear to be all figured out, and to alleviate confusion, I believe that NanoPEB users would benefit from a PDF file with graphics and detailed explanation showing all the different cable configurations required for MIDI, CFHDX or anything else that might require a specific hookup.

A newbie might run for cover rather than attempt any of this due to sheer confusion.  Seriously, I've known people over the years new to things that followed directions to the letter, but still screwed things up simply because the documentation did not specify that the numbered pinouts were referring to the pins on the cable they were making and not the unit they were hooking up to as shown in a graphic.

#79 Lee Stewart OFFLINE  

Lee Stewart

River Patroller

• 3,390 posts

Posted Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:59 AM

Now that things appear to be all figured out, and to alleviate confusion, I believe that NanoPEB users would benefit from a PDF file with graphics and detailed explanation showing all the different cable configurations required for MIDI, CFHDX or anything else that might require a specific hookup.

Certainly a good idea, but a bit premature in my opinion.  We have not yet figured out the other lines and how they can/cannot be used.  The nanoPEB manual says that DTR can also be used (and by implication, DSR).  Like I said somewhere above, I will not be able to check it out until I get near my nanoPEB in a couple of weeks.

...lee

#80 InsaneMultitasker OFFLINE  

InsaneMultitasker

Stargunner

• 1,731 posts

Posted Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:44 PM

Certainly a good idea, but a bit premature in my opinion.  We have not yet figured out the other lines and how they can/cannot be used.  The nanoPEB manual says that DTR can also be used (and by implication, DSR).  Like I said somewhere above, I will not be able to check it out until I get near my nanoPEB in a couple of weeks.

...lee

Agreed, though I think a preliminary cheat sheet could be made if Omega is offering.  ;)  

I don't recall seeing any activity on the DTR (or DSR) pins.  It will take a bit of CRU poking to determine if there are any other signals available.

#81 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

TI-Runner

• 10,617 posts

Posted Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:06 PM

... a preliminary cheat sheet could be made if Omega is offering.  ;)  

Sorry, not this time.  I have my hands full with other projects up to and including the end of April.

#82 InsaneMultitasker OFFLINE  

InsaneMultitasker

Stargunner

• 1,731 posts

Posted Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:09 PM

Jumpered 7&8, swapped the other 2 and hooked that puppy up. Works great! Is there a way to transfer midi files to the ti?

Those 2 swapped pins are mirror images of each other on the 5-pin DIN.  I bet I goofed up looking at the male/female pinouts. I'll sort that out this week. I also want to figure out how to go the other direction so that you can play on the keyboard and record with the TI.  I read about this somewhere, I just need to find the program and docs. (My MIDI cable for the PEB RS232 has the port connected to the RX pin along with a resistor from RX to ground.)

There are some disks of MIDI files.  MidiMaster will convert SNF files for use with MidiMaster.  You can play them, save them, and load them.  The SNF files seem to use "/M" or "_M" to signify the type.  Converted, saved MIDI files are stored as program image files (I do not think this was a wise choice).

Anyway, I am new to the MIDI stuff, so maybe Swim or anyone else who has used midimaster will chime in.  There are some readme files in the 2.3 and 2.5Z disks that we should probably review, as they go into a few details about the format and requirements.

#83 Lee Stewart OFFLINE  

Lee Stewart

River Patroller

• 3,390 posts

Posted Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:23 PM

Agreed, though I think a preliminary cheat sheet could be made if Omega is offering.  ;)  

I don't recall seeing any activity on the DTR (or DSR) pins.  It will take a bit of CRU poking to determine if there are any other signals available.

It could well be that Jaime meant RTS instead of DTR.  It would make more sense had his statement in the manual said, “The only handshake signals supported are RTS and CTS.”

...lee

#84 InsaneMultitasker OFFLINE  

InsaneMultitasker

Stargunner

• 1,731 posts

Posted Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:36 PM

Well, I had indeed confused myself and my notes by looking at the mirror images of the male/female pinouts. :dunce: 

Sparkdrummer,  if you have some spare time, could you confirm the nanopeb cable config is now documented properly, based on the cable you created? ;)

Attached File  MIDI Master TI RS232 and nanoPEB cable configuration.PNG   64.77KB   2 downloads

#85 ti99iuc OFFLINE  

ti99iuc

Stargunner

• 1,215 posts

Posted Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:04 AM

Great ! Thanks for this. I will try to build a cable soon :)

#86 sparkdrummer OFFLINE  

sparkdrummer

Dragonstomper

• 777 posts

Posted Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:29 AM

Just double checked cable 

5 pin din                         9 pin dsub

male                                female    

solder side                     solder side  

4 ------------------------------- 5

5 ------------------------------- 3

jumpered   [

Works great. Thanks again Tim

#87 InsaneMultitasker OFFLINE  

InsaneMultitasker

Stargunner

• 1,731 posts

Posted Sat Apr 1, 2017 9:08 PM

Something still doesn't look right in that latest diagram.  RS232 DB9, pin 5, should be ground as should RS232 DB25 pin 7.  I'll have to make another pass, this time confirming that the pins are labeled correctly now that the cable connections are correct.

In the meantime, I've attached an updated Midi Master 2.5Z disk image.  This one contains both the nanopeb version and an ubergrom UART version.  Both programs now have a reference to their respective hardware version, to minimize future confusion. 

Attached File  MIDIMaster99-v25Z-standard-NANO AND UBERGROM.dsk   90KB   8 downloads

(Edit: it helps to click 'attach this file'  :music:  )

Edited by InsaneMultitasker, Sat Apr 1, 2017 9:10 PM.

#88 sparkdrummer OFFLINE  

sparkdrummer

Dragonstomper

• 777 posts

Posted Sat Apr 1, 2017 11:36 PM

Damn
I'll double check my cable again.
I apologize if I posted it incorrectly.

Edited by sparkdrummer, Sat Apr 1, 2017 11:37 PM.

#89 InsaneMultitasker OFFLINE  

InsaneMultitasker

Stargunner

• 1,731 posts

Posted Sun Apr 2, 2017 12:16 AM

Damn
I'll double check my cable again.
I apologize if I posted it incorrectly.

I think the cable is right and that our connections both match.  It is the labels (i.e., ground versus transmit) that seem to be mixed up.   I tell ya, looking at these connectors tends to cross my eyes!   :-o

#90 sparkdrummer OFFLINE  

sparkdrummer

Dragonstomper

• 777 posts

Posted Sun Apr 2, 2017 12:24 AM

I agree. To make matters worse on my end the din connectors I have are cheap Chinese ones and don't even have the pins labeled! I had to look twice and thrice to make sure of correct wiring.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: synthesizer, midi

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users