IGNORED

what master system games are incompatible with genesis?

Thekng123

• 2 weeks later...

What is the problem with Ys exactly? I don't remember having any problems with it on PBC. I know F-16 Fighting Falcon doesn't work on Genesis and that Brazilian X-Men Mojo World game has a graphical issue.

There are a couple games like Wonderboy in Monster Land, Penguin Land, and Bomber Raid that have issues with Genesis controllers, but these are playable on Genesis with SMS controllers. The odd thing is they actually play fine with Genesis controllers when played on a JP SMS or a Genesis modded with a region switch set to the JP region.

Edited by BrianC

What is the problem with Ys exactly? I don't remember having any problems with it on PBC. I know F-16 Fighting Falcon doesn't work on Genesis and that Brazilian X-Men Mojo World game has a graphical issue.

There are a couple games like Wonderboy in Monster Land, Penguin Land, and Bomber Raid that have issues with Genesis controllers, but these are playable on Genesis with SMS controllers. The odd thing is they actually play fine with Genesis controllers when played on a JP SMS or a Genesis modded with a region switch set to the JP region.

sega retro says this about ys:

"Furthermore, the game takes advantage of a VDP mirroring bug that was fixed on Master System 2s and anything based on that hardware (including the Sega Mega Drive); consequently the game will look incorrectly on these systems."

oh ok. I'll check again, but I don't remember having any problems with Ys on the PBC. One site says that only the JP version of Great Golf has FM (I think it was also Sega Retro, but not 100% sure. They did say that only the JP variants of SMS games in most cases have FM, which is wrong. Of the JP FM games with a western counterpart, only Phantasy Star and Ys had the FM removed for the western version. There are even some western only games like Time Soldiers, California Games, and Rampage that play FM when played on a JP SMS), but I have the US cart and it plays FM on the JP SMS when I play it with the tototek adapter.

edit: Tried it and it seems to be fine. I wish the site had more specifics of where this bug is supposed to be. I suspect it's a minor one, but it would be nice to know more details.

Edited by BrianC

This site seems to suggest that the bug is with the JP version (I also remember reading somewhere that the Genesis SMS VDP is not the same as the SMS2). I also noticed that games with very minor issues like Sonic 2 (glitching is no worse than US NES games like Duck Tales and Mega Man 3, played on real US hardware) are listed on the site as "incompatible".

Y's (Japanese) - Uses bit 0 of register #2 to cause name table
mirroring, a bug which is fixed in the Genesis VDP.

Edited by BrianC

The cart version of F-16 will run on Gen w/PBC. I believe it is called F-16 Fighter instead. Really not missing much by losing that one IMHO.

Operation Wolf and Xenon 2 will run a little buggy on gen w/PBC, but glitch and freeze on NTSC SMS.

BTW...Montezuma's Revenge doesn't work with Genesis controllers through the PBC either. But I did happen on a controller that did work and it wasn't the SMS controller either...hehe

Though they cramp your hands, try using a stock 7800 pro-line on the PBC sometime. Some of the games use the two buttons properly. Imagine that!

The cart version of F-16 will run on Gen w/PBC. I believe it is called F-16 Fighter instead. Really not missing much by losing that one IMHO.

Operation Wolf and Xenon 2 will run a little buggy on gen w/PBC, but glitch and freeze on NTSC SMS.

I heard otherwise. I heard the compatibility issues have to do with the game using the SG-1000 display mode or something along those lines. I also heard SG-1000 games don't work with the adapters to use JP SMS games with the Genesis.

Though they cramp your hands, try using a stock 7800 pro-line on the PBC sometime. Some of the games use the two buttons properly. Imagine that!

I actually always thought that the original SMS controllers were just about the most hand-cramping of all of the classic systems that I ever owned. Even more so than the stock 7800 sticks! I dunno why, I have kind if smallish hands fir a guy, but the SMS pads just didn't fit me right. I almist always used Genesis controllers when playing SMS games or the SMS stick for the few that wouldn't work with a Genesis controller. (Conversely, I always found the SMS stick to be amoung the most comfortable of the classic system conters. Probably because I could operate the stick with one thumb like I've always done with Atati CX40s.)

BTW...Montezuma's Revenge doesn't work with Genesis controllers through the PBC either. But I did happen on a controller that did work and it wasn't the SMS controller either...hehe

what about the european 7800 controller