IGNORED

Favorite black-and-white arcade games

Syzygy1

• 4 months later...

Well I'll keep the vector games in a totally separate category, and I really don't think there is any comparison. I'll rate almost every vector game higher than almost every non-vector black and white game.

So for best black and white games I'm going with NIGHT DRIVER and STARSHIP 1.

I might prefer one of the Night Driver type games that preceded Night Driver: Night Racer, 280 Zzzap or NURBURGRING. But i've never played them.

Battle Zone, if it counts

Doesn't count. It's black and GREEN.

Just kidding. :-)

I forgot about that one. I would say Battlezone, Space Invaders, Asteroids and leave it at that. Color came soon enough and brought so many good games, I can leave the past in the past. I spent too long playing Atari VCS and Odyssey 2 on a black and white TV to have nostalgia for shades of grey.

Ah, chalkboard video games. I played the hell out of Depthcharge this summer on the Internet Arcade. Did you know that Berzerk was going to be a black and white arcade game but was changed to color at the last minute?

Damn it now I want to play Canyon Bomber after seeing footage of it on YouTube. I haven't gone to Funspot since two years ago...

Ah, chalkboard video games. I played the hell out of Depthcharge this summer on the Internet Arcade. Did you know that Berzerk was going to be a black and white arcade game but was changed to color at the last minute?

Damn it now I want to play Canyon Bomber after seeing footage of it on YouTube. I haven't gone to Funspot since two years ago...

I remember they had a Canyon Bomber cabinet at K-Mart in the layaway section.

I'm surprised nobody listed Bug yet.

That whole series gets my vote. The arcades around here mostly had Fire Truck and its twin Smokey Joe. I'm guessing I may have played Super Bug somewhere along the line but can't remember for sure.

Another (mostly) B&W game I wanted to like was Gypsy Juggler. The yellow marquee had a funky font to it that permanently etched the game into my mind. But it just went too fast and I was never able to get very far.

I haven't seen a thread like this, so I decided to start one.

What is your favorite black-and-white arcade game? I'm talking about the ones from the '70s to 1980.

My personal favorite is Space Race, with Sea Wolf as a close second.

Feel free to share memories.

Hey, thanks so much for the interest in this topic. It gives me another opportunity to resurrect this thread...

• 3 months later...

Pinball PA (formerly known as the PA Coin-op Hall of Fame) has a whole bunch of b/w games that you probably won't find in operation anywhere else.

I shot this video when I visited last summer and the place is amazing. I shot footage of game play on some rare games like Shark Jaws, Blue Shark and Laguna Racer. The game play is after the walk through tour if you want to skip ahead.

Check out the beautiful Laguna Racer cabinet! It's a simple racing game (typical of it's time) but it's an absolutely gorgeous cabinet.

https://youtu.be/MBj3tTD-2xQ

Hmm, I need to go there... Soon! :)

Edit: Hmm, I have Thursday and Friday off. If Pinball PA is where I think it is, I might just make the two hour trip out there this week. Looked at some of the pictures of the arcade games they have and I am drooling...

Edited by simbalion

I loved Fire Truck, Stunt Cycle, Super Bug and all the Sprint games. Speaking of which, I am having trouble finding much hardware info on Sprint 8. I see it listed several places as a black and white game, but at least the versions I played had eight separately colored cars. I saw on one site that it had a separate board for each player.

• 1 month later...

Hey, thanks so much for the interest in this topic. It gives me another opportunity to resurrect this thread...

...And by "this thread" I mean the topic I started to promote my YouTube video about video games from the black and white era. I re-did the sound-track and posted the new version on YouTube today.

The video covers raster games only (no vector graphics) and has a few glaring omissions that have already been mentioned in this thread (Sprint, Stunt Cycle, and Boot Hill). Also, I don't know if anyone has mentioned the Kee Games Drag Race that was the inspiration for the Activision 2600 version. And finally, there seems to be no love for, "Space Race"; probably because it's another of the pre-microprocessor-based coin-ops so there's no MAME ROM for it. Everyone remembers "Pong" but few remember Atari's second game - as few remember the second astronaut to set foot on the Moon (Buzz Aldrin - you'd think with a name like "Buzz" people would remember...). It was also the second video game that I personally played (...after Pong, of course - and I did get a chance to put a couple of quarters into a Computer Space cabinet a few years later as well).