IGNORED

Playground competition anyone?

ramidavis

I had a slightly wrong impression of playground.
I thought I could take a preexisting assembly game/program and convert it to use playground.
With that (unknowingly at the time) wrong idea in mind, I found and downloaded the ti version of FlappyBird, intending to get it running under playground.
I now realize I would need major changes to the games original code to do what I wanted.
Playground still sounds very interesting to me, but I think I am a long way from writing anything in "regular" ti assembly, let alone the restrictions playground seems to impose.
Still, what all has been done with playground so far?(Other then the included life, same colors, and demo programs)
As stated above, I am not a ti assembly coder (yet), but I know some of you here on the forum are.
How about a mini-compo for playground? Give participants 2 weeks to write a demo/game/program that any unexpanded ti can load via play ground from ti basic on tape, no carts or memory expansion.
First prize: ego boost
Second prize: warm fuzzy feeling
(Sorry, I ain't got nothing to contribute or give away as a prize. Just trying to generate interest in playground, as I think it would be awesome to see more stuff made for it.)

With that said, I actually am interested in learning assembly for ti.
But I want to learn it from the point of view of working with playground.
That is, I want my finished assembly program to be loadable by a bare-bones unexpanded ti99/4a, via playground from ti basic.
Is there not any assembly tutorial for beginners that takes the playground loader into account?
(That is, follow along with the lessons given, and when done, you have a simple assembly project you can use with out mini-memory or editor/assembler via playground)

• Like 1

Why would you want to use TI Basic?

It is slower and has no easy to use LOADER like Extended Basic does.

There are tons of help here on the site for you:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/153704-ti-994a-development-resources/

Personally I use mostly GPL (Graphic Programming Language) as it is much more easy to use then Assembly but as the added advantage to EMBED Assembly and use it in GPL.

I have some video and tutorials on this;

(First one in series.)

• Like 2

why use rxb? it's slower than assembly. you want to for your own reasons? rami feel the same? challenge? fun? whatever.

I did not say use RXB (Extended Basic).

I said use GPL.

I also said Embed Assembly into GPL for speed. He is just learning and jumping straight into Assembly is tough.

I used to teach Assembly to people for a couple of years ran a class for TI people.

I also first include the TI resource link for Atari Age. (What is your issue with me?)

Edited by RXB

How about a mini-compo for playground?

That is, I want my finished assembly program to be loadable by a bare-bones unexpanded ti99/4a, via playground from ti basic.

Always nice to have people excited about something TI related. Nice initiative.

I think it's nice that we've got Playground (TI Basic), but personally I'll pursue other directions for now. However, I'd love to see what people come up with.

:)

• Like 1

Unless someone else has written it (not likely!) there is no tutorial for beginning A/L programmers and playground. You'd probably be best off learning A/L the standard way using the tutorials on this site. (I like Compute's Guide to Assembly Language) Once you have a good grasp of how it works, then you could revisit playground and try to adapt your programs to the restrictions needed by playground. One important idea that takes a while to grasp is how many bytes are used by instructions. Normally this doesn't matter, but with playground you are always trying to cram a little more code into a page. You should take notes of your experiences and come up with your own tutorial to help others.

I am up to my elbows in a house repair/renovation project or I would try to come up with another demo for this competition. Maybe this winter things will ease up.

• Like 3