IGNORED

How to open and fix Atari 800XL power supply

unebonnevie

Hi,

I have an Atari 800XL, bought from eBay. The power supply's cord is a bit wiggle (not well connected) to the brick. How do I open the brick itself and make sure the cord is well connected?

Thanks!

It also depends on the country you're coming from. The Ingot was not sold outside of the US, for example. Ataris sold in Germany came with very good, rock-stable power supplies you can easily open from the screws in their feet. But they are almost impossible to break.

The ingot, however, is just a case for the trash.

It also depends on the country you're coming from. The Ingot was not sold outside of the US, for example. Ataris sold in Germany came with very good, rock-stable power supplies you can easily open from the screws in their feet. But they are almost impossible to break.

The ingot, however, is just a case for the trash.

It appears the INGOT was sold outside the US/Canada. At least the following post has a picture of what appears to be an INGOT, but the label indicates the input as 220V 50Hz.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/221488-euro-power-supplies/?do=findComment&comment=2930804

Are you sure about that? About 5 years ago I bought a used 800XL (late model XLF with Freddie) from the 1st owner (I'm in NL). It was complete in original box wih all peripheral equipment (TV cable and docs), amongst which was the dreaded Ingot PSU.

Knowing its reputation, I never dared running the 800XL with this PSU, used my other A8's one.

IIRC I threw the Ingot PSU in the trash a few months ago when moving to my new house. I later on realised I should have snipped off the cable with 7-pin DIN plug, so I could use a modern 5V wall adapter to power it.

re-atari

Edited by re-atari

I later on realised I should have snipped off the cable with 7-pin DIN plug, so I could use a modern 5V wall adapter to power it.

Hmmm can anyone think of anything else that uses the same plug... I wonder if adapters for universal power supplies exist for them...

I am pretty sure Atari did not use a custom connector for that. I think it is a standard "DIN" configuration.

Here is a handy reference:

http://www.hardwarebook.info/Atari_8-bit_Power

Correct - it's a standard DIN-7 connector. The monitor is a DIN-5. Should be available everywhere.

Hmmm can anyone think of anything else that uses the same plug...

Yes, from what I've heard the C64 does. The same 7-pin plug on its PSU. But with completely different pin layout and voltages, of course.

I wonder if adapters for universal power supplies exist for them...

Maybe I wasn't entirely clear about what I had in mind if I had preserved the cable and plug. I have a few 5V 1,5A wall adapters laying around, they'd make a good replacement A8 PSU. Only needed to solder on the snipped-off cable. Oh well, maybe next time.

re-atari

1.5A is the minimum requirement. It's what the XL/XE were specced for. But... a little overhead doesn't hurt. Especially when you start adding in memory upgrades etc. If I still had my hardware, I would probably get one of the plentiful 2.1A rated supplies.

You guys have gotten me all paranoid about my power supplies all of the sudden! Whew, I think I'm good. Per Bruce (B&C/myatari's) eBay pics and descriptions, the two main supplies I use for my 800XL/600XL machines are both good ones - "the Black Brick" and the "#4." And my 400/800/1200XL/1050 supplies are all original C017945's that test good. I re-check them every so often and leave them all unplugged when not in use but it's good to know I don't accidentally have an "Ingot" in use anywhere.

Edited by DrVenkman

I clipped off the DIN cord of a dead A8 supply years ago, but I'm funny that way. I think I saved the AC side as well. When I'm old and senile I'll probably be one those hoarders you see on TV. I'm wondering if there is any reason why I shouldn't splice the DIN onto the +5v lead from a spare molex connector on the modern PC PSU I use for my A8's hard drive? A PC supply would have plenty of current, I think. It's a Dynex from Best Buy, perhaps dependability might be an issue, it might make an Ingot seem safe. I haven't checked the voltage, how picky is an Atari? (130 XE) It would be nice to reduce cord clutter. My system has 4 power cords, monitor cable, two SIO cables, SCSI, and Centronics cables, and that's just the Atari!

I clipped off the DIN cord of a dead A8 supply years ago, but I'm funny that way. I think I saved the AC side as well. When I'm old and senile I'll probably be one those hoarders you see on TV. I'm wondering if there is any reason why I shouldn't splice the DIN onto the +5v lead from a spare molex connector on the modern PC PSU I use for my A8's hard drive? A PC supply would have plenty of current, I think. It's a Dynex from Best Buy, perhaps dependability might be an issue, it might make an Ingot seem safe. I haven't checked the voltage, how picky is an Atari? (130 XE) It would be nice to reduce cord clutter. My system has 4 power cords, monitor cable, two SIO cables, SCSI, and Centronics cables, and that's just the Atari!

That's fine, but keep in mind some switching power supplies have a minimum load requirement, and the atari 8 bit might not meet it. Also, don't trust wire color codes. use the connector pinout instead. Most power supplies use red wires for 5v, but I know someone who had one that didn't. Also, it didn't work with too small of a load, so when he measured what he thought was a 5V line, and it was low, it looked right. But when he actually got the supply to work, 12V made the 600XL go poof. Turned out the red wire was the 12V line.

You guys have gotten me all paranoid about my power supplies all of the sudden! Whew, I think I'm good. Per Bruce (B&C/myatari's) eBay pics and descriptions, the two main supplies I use for my 800XL/600XL machines are both good ones - "the Black Brick" and the "#4." And my 400/800/1200XL/1050 supplies are all original C017945's that test good. I re-check them every so often and leave them all unplugged when not in use but it's good to know I don't accidentally have an "Ingot" in use anywhere.

It seems that the Atari shares a common bond with the Commodore computer when it comes to power supplies. Both machines aparently suffer from really poorly designed and built power supplies. While I was searching for something to help a Commodore 64 PSU, I found a site that might also help Atari users.

http://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/commodore-64-replacement-psu-project/

I knew about the minimum load thing. I didn't think to mention it because I'm already using the PSU to power a hard drive and controller, so it isn't an issue. Double checking the voltage is good advice, I've seen variations in color coding myself.