CoolCV emulator for Mac OS X, Linux, Windows and Raspberry

Colecovision Emulator Mac Windows

516 replies to this topic

#476 Mike Harris OFFLINE  

Mike Harris

Space Invader

• 13 posts

Posted Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:38 AM

I love the simplicity of drag and drop.  It just works without all the nonsense.

But then again...

I tried Smart Logo and the keyboard is not mapped and I see no way of remapping keys.

I use a PC under Windows 10.

That said..I mean come on... Backspace is to actually backspace and not reset.

It would be nice to have the setting stay set.

I love the idea of emulating reality but turbo mode on loading should be a definite yes or no and stay that way.

At present I am developing an all in one toolbox using VS2017.

The end result is a complete graphical environment that will compile a usable rom for an original Colecovision and a Supergame Generator up to 256k Datapack for the ADAM.

Of course it is all wish list and I am making some headway.

I've got MESS to use for testing purposes but hopefully you will continue the work because yours is ease of use with little overhead.

Edited by Mike Harris, Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:39 AM.

#477 nanochess OFFLINE  

nanochess

Processorus Polyglotus

• Topic Starter
  • 5,392 posts
  • Coding something good

Posted Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:39 PM

I love the simplicity of drag and drop.  It just works without all the nonsense.

But then again...

I tried Smart Logo and the keyboard is not mapped and I see no way of remapping keys.

I use a PC under Windows 10.

That said..I mean come on... Backspace is to actually backspace and not reset.

Check in your My Documents folder for the coolcv_mappings.txt file that allows you to change keyboard mapping.

#478 Mike Harris OFFLINE  

Mike Harris

Space Invader

• 13 posts

Posted Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:13 PM

Awesome.

Just the thing I was looking for.

Is there any way to make sure that this file stay in the emulator folder.

I'm just one of those who loves to keep things simple.

#479 TPR OFFLINE  

TPR

Stargunner

• 1,855 posts

Posted Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:59 PM

Here's a question for you Oscar - Have you ever considered adding mouse support to emulate the Roller Controller in both Joystick & Trackball mode?  In MAME I use a mouse all the time to play games like Centipede Missile Command, and Arkanoid and it could work great with CoolCV on a desktop or a Rasperry Pi with a mouse or trackball connected to play games like Centipede, Operation Wolf, Strike It, Mindwalls, Armageddon, Jeepers Creepers, etc.  I did a search in this thread and I didn't see anything about it ever being mentioned so if I missed it somehow I apologize! 

#480 nanochess OFFLINE  

nanochess

Processorus Polyglotus

• Topic Starter
  • 5,392 posts
  • Coding something good

Posted Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:00 AM

Courtesy of Team Pixelboy now the package includes games: Module Man and Quest of the Golden Chalice. Plus Mecha-8 that I've released at last freely.

Check first post.

Happy Christmas! :party:

#481 TwiliteZoner OFFLINE  

TwiliteZoner

Dragonstomper

• 689 posts

Posted Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:19 PM

Merry Christmas Oscar!

#482 nanochess OFFLINE  

nanochess

Processorus Polyglotus

• Topic Starter
  • 5,392 posts
  • Coding something good

Posted Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:31 PM

Here's a question for you Oscar - Have you ever considered adding mouse support to emulate the Roller Controller in both Joystick & Trackball mode?  In MAME I use a mouse all the time to play games like Centipede Missile Command, and Arkanoid and it could work great with CoolCV on a desktop or a Rasperry Pi with a mouse or trackball connected to play games like Centipede, Operation Wolf, Strike It, Mindwalls, Armageddon, Jeepers Creepers, etc.  I did a search in this thread and I didn't see anything about it ever being mentioned so if I missed it somehow I apologize! 

The roller controller is emulated using mouse ;) not tested in some time but it should work just fine across platforms.

Merry Christmas Oscar!

Merry Christmas! :)

#483 intvdave OFFLINE  

intvdave

Dragonstomper

• 714 posts

Posted Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:05 PM

I have used the Roller Controller and Driving Wheel in CoolCV using an interface (http://www.intellivi...e/interface.php) successfully. It works beautifully!

#484 TPR OFFLINE  

TPR

Stargunner

• 1,855 posts

Posted Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:56 PM

I have used the Roller Controller and Driving Wheel in CoolCV using an interface (http://www.intellivi...e/interface.php) successfully. It works beautifully!

I'll have to connect it to the Pi and see if it works for me as well! (I do have one)  I asked specifically about the mouse though as I always keep one hooked up to play MAME games and it works awesome!  That way I wouldn't have to disconnect and re-install other hardware.  It's also an option for people who want to play those games but may not have a Roller Controller or the interface (which is awesome, BTW!)

#485 TPR OFFLINE  

TPR

Stargunner

• 1,855 posts

Posted Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:16 PM

The roller controller is emulated using mouse ;) not tested in some time but it should work just fine across platforms.

Huh.  I will try it again!  I actually did test on both my Pi using a Microsoft USB wired mouse and also on the Mac using a Bluetooth mouse and neither one of them worked pressing F5 to toggle the Roller Controller. 

#486 TPR OFFLINE  

TPR

Stargunner

• 1,855 posts

Posted Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:25 PM

Aha!  I see what my problem was.  I was using Centipede to test with, which does not work with the mouse, but Slither does!  I did not realize that Centipede was not actually made for the Roller Controller.  So I guess my next question would be, could you add mouse support that would emulate the roller controller's "joystick mode?" Because games like Centipede and Jeepers Creepers sure do work a lot better with that controller in that mode.

#487 H.E.R.O. OFFLINE  

H.E.R.O.

Moonsweeper

• 286 posts
  • New leader of the Bungeling Empire

Posted Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:05 AM

Any way to edit the controller setup to use with a Xbox360 controller? Left analog stick works fine for movement but up on the d-pad is left fire. 

#488 majestyx OFFLINE  

majestyx

Chopper Commander

• 207 posts

Posted Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:36 PM

Any way to edit the controller setup to use with a Xbox360 controller? Left analog stick works fine for movement but up on the d-pad is left fire. 

Go back to the previous page and see the discussion which starts here: http://atariage.com/...19#entry3906168

It's apparently due to the XBOX 360's d-pad being mapped as axes 4 & 5 which don't seem to be read within coolcv.

#489 nanochess OFFLINE  

nanochess

Processorus Polyglotus

• Topic Starter
  • 5,392 posts
  • Coding something good

Posted Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:57 PM

Aha!  I see what my problem was.  I was using Centipede to test with, which does not work with the mouse, but Slither does!  I did not realize that Centipede was not actually made for the Roller Controller.  So I guess my next question would be, could you add mouse support that would emulate the roller controller's "joystick mode?" Because games like Centipede and Jeepers Creepers sure do work a lot better with that controller in that mode.

Hmmm, that could be a good idea, essentially moving the mouse would be the equivalent of pushing several times the direction stick. I'll add it to my TODO list.

Go back to the previous page and see the discussion which starts here: http://atariage.com/...19#entry3906168

It's apparently due to the XBOX 360's d-pad being mapped as axes 4 & 5 which don't seem to be read within coolcv.

I really need to get a USB XBox 360 controller to test in all four platforms.

Myself I've a NES gamepad USB controller where some buttons aren't "visible" by CoolCV, I'm still checking why this happens.

#490 TPR OFFLINE  

TPR

Stargunner

• 1,855 posts

Posted Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:34 PM

Hmmm, that could be a good idea, essentially moving the mouse would be the equivalent of pushing several times the direction stick. I'll add it to my TODO list.

Is that how the Roller Controller emulates the joystick when switched to that mode?  I hadn't really thought about it until I started using a mouse with MAME and saw how well it worked with some of those analog games where it made be realize "Huh, if games like Kaboom!, Jeepers Creepers, Operation Wolf, Centipede, etc all play awesome with the Roller Controller in joystick mode, why couldn't a mouse emulate that also?"  

I hope it's not too much work!

#491 Milli Vee OFFLINE  

Milli Vee

Star Raider

• 79 posts

Posted Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:32 AM

Is the source code available for this - especially interested in the interface to the keyboard, I would like to see how it talks to the Adam keyboard, the commands, parameters etc.

Milli

#492 mr_me OFFLINE  

mr_me

River Patroller

• 2,776 posts

Posted Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:21 AM

Is that how the Roller Controller emulates the joystick when switched to that mode?  I hadn't really thought about it until I started using a mouse with MAME and saw how well it worked with some of those analog games where it made be realize "Huh, if games like Kaboom!, Jeepers Creepers, Operation Wolf, Centipede, etc all play awesome with the Roller Controller in joystick mode, why couldn't a mouse emulate that also?"  

I hope it's not too much work!

You can try it with the Mame coleco vision emulator to see how it works. Mame lets you configure a mouse for joystick input. When a mouse is configured as an analog control, like Atari Kaboom, it will be different than when it's configured as a digital joystick.

#493 nanochess OFFLINE  

nanochess

Processorus Polyglotus

• Topic Starter
  • 5,392 posts
  • Coding something good

Posted Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:26 AM

Is the source code available for this - especially interested in the interface to the keyboard, I would like to see how it talks to the Adam keyboard, the commands, parameters etc.

Milli

Not yet. But it's configurable per the manual included.

#494 Milli Vee OFFLINE  

Milli Vee

Star Raider

• 79 posts

Posted Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:31 AM

Not yet. But it's configurable per the manual included.

Ah - I was hoping to see how the emulator communicated with the adapter that plugs into the usb to use an adam keyboard, translated the data from the keyboard, requested etc, unless that is all done on the adapter (ie the adam keyboard is just a pc keyboard after being plugged into the adapter) then the source code would not be helpful.

Milli

#495 nanochess OFFLINE  

nanochess

Processorus Polyglotus

• Topic Starter
  • 5,392 posts
  • Coding something good

Posted Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:03 PM

Ah - I was hoping to see how the emulator communicated with the adapter that plugs into the usb to use an adam keyboard, translated the data from the keyboard, requested etc, unless that is all done on the adapter (ie the adam keyboard is just a pc keyboard after being plugged into the adapter) then the source code would not be helpful.

Milli

Oh. I see. All is done in the adapter. My code reads a standard keyboard.

#496 Brian W. OFFLINE  

Brian W.

Combat Commando

• 4 posts

Posted Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:05 PM

Very cool work! I greatly appreciate this gift! I do have a constructive issue thou. I have this running on my pi without issue. But I noted on my laptop, which is running ubuntu 16.04, and retropi installed from source. That the coolcv_pi app listed as an optional emulator #108 on pi. is not available to install on my laptop version of retropi. Is there a huge enough OS gap that causes this not be available on Ubuntu 16?

Happy New Years!

#497 nanochess OFFLINE  

nanochess

Processorus Polyglotus

• Topic Starter
  • 5,392 posts
  • Coding something good

Posted Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:30 PM

Very cool work! I greatly appreciate this gift! I do have a constructive issue thou. I have this running on my pi without issue. But I noted on my laptop, which is running ubuntu 16.04, and retropi installed from source. That the coolcv_pi app listed as an optional emulator #108 on pi. is not available to install on my laptop version of retropi. Is there a huge enough OS gap that causes this not be available on Ubuntu 16?

Happy New Years!

Not an idea! I would need to install this version on my Pi and test myself to give you a proper answer.

#498 chuckwalla OFFLINE  

chuckwalla

Dragonstomper

• 770 posts

Posted Sat Jan 6, 2018 9:07 PM

I set up CoolCV this past week and love it.

It's nice to be able to play the Zaxxon and Buck Rogers Super Games without having to set up my Adam system.

Great job.

#499 ChuckH OFFLINE  

ChuckH

Chopper Commander

• 226 posts

Posted Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:48 PM

I'ml liking CoolCV but I have a question. I've tried to play SG-1000 games but with very little luck with the roms I've tried. For instance, N-Sub will only fire one way, The Castle won't boot up at all, Hang On II won't move, etc.  The only thing I have done is change the fire button mappings, etc. All the ColecoVision games work great. Do SG-1000 games use different buttons? I use the current version of CoolCV but I went back to 6.0 to see if that make a difference but I get the same thing. I'm using Windows 10. Thanks.

Chuck

#500 nanochess OFFLINE  

nanochess

Processorus Polyglotus

• Topic Starter
  • 5,392 posts
  • Coding something good

Posted Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:25 PM

I'ml liking CoolCV but I have a question. I've tried to play SG-1000 games but with very little luck with the roms I've tried. For instance, N-Sub will only fire one way, The Castle won't boot up at all, Hang On II won't move, etc.  The only thing I have done is change the fire button mappings, etc. All the ColecoVision games work great. Do SG-1000 games use different buttons? I use the current version of CoolCV but I went back to 6.0 to see if that make a difference but I get the same thing. I'm using Windows 10. Thanks.

Chuck

I'll give a look, it should have worked just fine but I could have made a mistake.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Colecovision, Emulator, Mac, Windows

1 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users