IGNORED

The Atari Jaguar Game by Game Podcast

Shinto

I didn't think I'd have anything to contribute to the podcast, but it seems I've done more then planned. :) Great work so far Shinto, and looking forward to more!

I also didn't realize until I re-checked the game list -- well, I'm sure I knew but I had forgot -- that there's a few of my favorite PC games that got ported to the Jag such as Syndicate and Theme Park. When you get to those games I'll try the Jag versions out in emulation and see how they compare. Bullfrog made some awesome games.

And thank you for the mentions in the River Raid episode, even though you called me "smug" in one of them! It quite literally made me laugh out loud.

I lead off my show with the no-emulators "disclaimer" for a few reasons, and smugness is not among them (well, it was certainly not intended to be). I totally understand why you capture audio with an emulator for the 2600 Game by Game Podcast, and in fact, didn't even know that so many 2600 games were in stereo until I started listening to your show.

Ah, some good-natured ribbing from Ferg. I truly feel like part of the retro-gaming podcast community now, and also less guilty about what I recorded for episode 1 of the Atari Lynx Game by Game Podcast. :-D

Yes, no harm was intended. :) Your Lynx submission was hilarious and very flattering, thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

1:04:14

S-E-W-A-R-T, not Stewart. I used to listen to Player One podcast, which he co-hosts. He once said that happens all the time.

Right you are, sir. Matt's e-mail had it right, I read it wrong. Either my brain or my eyes weren't working very well so late the night I recorded.

I just listened to podcast one and really enjoyed it. Good job Shinto. Though there are many comments I want to make about it, I will just refer to one part now. Regarding one of the letters you read; the one from the guy in England. He talked about Atari's bad rep. In England at the time of the Jag's release and you were suprised and thought Atari had a better rep. there than state- side. It was Europe, mostly Germany and eastern Europe where Atari was very popular.

-G

Woohoo! New information about Club Drive.

Have you ever wondered why there's a rocket behind the Atari headquarters in that hidden area? I searched everywhere I could think of, but found no explanation for the rocket, so I asked my confidential informant who helped out quite a bit with the Trevor McFur episode, and he filled me in.

Jerome and Todd used to set off model rockets of all shapes and sizes in the parking lot behind the Atari building. They even tried strapping rockets to an RC car! They did this sometimes while a new build was compiling, and other times just for fun.

• Like 2

I believe the crowd noise nurmix used is a general crowd noise sound effect from Intellivision games, specifically in MLB Baseball or whatever it's called.

It seems to be a favorite of his, he uses it a lot.

That's the built-in (as in, part of the Intellivision operating system's ready made sound effects library) crowd sound. It was used in all the sports games.

I use it in the podcast whenever we celebrate or congratulate someone or something... and frequently for a bit of sarcasm and/or irony. Perhaps we've been doing that more than usual, if you've determined I use it a lot?

Oh, and the specific one from NFL Football (that begins with the "charge" fanfare music) is used any time we mention the upcoming LTO Flash -- flash/multi-cart. That's become a 'thing' for whatever reason.

I try to stick to mostly Intellivision generated sound effects, since it is an Intellivision podcast. To fans of the system, I think it makes it more fun, more personal.

• Like 2

Have you ever wondered why there's a rocket behind the Atari headquarters in that hidden area? I searched everywhere I could think of, but found no explanation for the rocket, so I asked my confidential informant who helped out quite a bit with the Trevor McFur episode, and he filled me in.

Jerome and Todd used to set off model rockets of all shapes and sizes in the parking lot behind the Atari building. They even tried strapping rockets to an RC car! They did this sometimes while a new build was compiling, and other times just for fun.

That's awesome! Love hearing the little behind the scenes details for things like this. Great job following up on that. And I'm not just saying this because I was BIG into model rockets as a kid.

Love those little inside stories around small additions to games that give them character beyond the game itself.

• Like 1

That's the built-in (as in, part of the Intellivision operating system's ready made sound effects library) crowd sound. It was used in all the sports games.

I use it in the podcast whenever we celebrate or congratulate someone or something... and frequently for a bit of sarcasm and/or irony. Perhaps we've been doing that more than usual, if you've determined I use it a lot?

So much so that I hear it when I see your name "nurmix". Dont worry, it's not an infatuation-type deal or anything. :D

& I as well DJed awhile 20+ yrs back, working for a small local (now gone) DJ service in their office & doing mostly school & wedding reception dances. Yes, the "cheesy" ones like you mentioned.

So much so that I hear it when I see your name "nurmix". Dont worry, it's not an infatuation-type deal or anything. :D

& I as well DJed awhile 20+ yrs back, working for a small local (now gone) DJ service in their office & doing mostly school & wedding reception dances. Yes, the "cheesy" ones like you mentioned.

Even IF it is a cheesy wedding gig (or something similarly less enjoyable from a DJ perspective), it still beats most jobs... as long as you have helpers to load-in / load-out... and free drinks!

Perhaps I should start using the Atari 7800 Title Match Pro Wrestling crowd from this point on..?

Prior to that DJ service, I worked with a different guy who ran his own one-man show out of his apt...it was literally just HIM, & he took me on as an assistant (I was fresh out of radio school). Man, lifting/hauling that equipment & huge speakers in & out of venues seemed to take HOURS....But yes, some benefits were niiiice.

Sorry Shinto! Now back to our regularly scheduled Jaguar topic.

• Like 1

Next up: Raiden! If you have anything you'd like to share about this vertical shooter on the show, please send it (text or audio) to jaguar@gamebygamepodcast.com, or post here and I'll read it off. Including a rating on the No-Swear Gamer Scale is appreciated! I'm going to put in a deadline of October 8th at the end of the day.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Shinto! check your personal messages, I left you one a few days ago. it was the only way i could figure out how to contact you. I don't do facebook or twitter and explain the rest in the PM.

Edited by Gunstar

Yes! I got that Gunstar, sorry I haven't replied yet. It came in a little too late to appear in the Raiden episode, but I'll include your post in episode 6 for Evolution: Dino Dudes. Thank you for your feedback!

The best way to reach me is via e-mail, jaguar@gamebygamepodcast.com which is linked on the show page jaguar.gamebygamepodcast.com. But here works, too, since I do get an e-mail for each PM.

The next game I'll be covering is Evolution: Dino Dudes. Do you have any memories or opinions of this game you'd like to share on the show? If so, please post here, or e-mail your submission (text or audio) to jaguar@gamebygamepodcast.com. If you could, please include a rating on the No-Swear Gamer Scale, which looks a little something like this:

1. Hall of Fame Game (top 5 on the Jaguar)
  2. Solid Game
  3. "Meh" Game
  4. Trash Game (bottom 5 on the Jaguar)

I'm looking to close off entries at the end of the day (UTC time) Thursday, October 29th.

Thank you all for listening!

Yes! I got that Gunstar, sorry I haven't replied yet. It came in a little too late to appear in the Raiden episode, but I'll include your post in episode 6 for Evolution: Dino Dudes. Thank you for your feedback!

The best way to reach me is via e-mail, jaguar@gamebygamepodcast.com which is linked on the show page jaguar.gamebygamepodcast.com. But here works, too, since I do get an e-mail for each PM.

Thanks. I didn't know if you got my PM because it showed here at AA that it had not yet been read by you. Obviously because you read it via e-mail instead of here.