IGNORED

Flex Interface Cable and Card Needed

TI-GAMER

One of our local TI Guys had their Flex Cable and Card go bad. We swapped it temporarily with one of ours and it worked but none of us happen to have a spare for him.

Does anyone happen to have a spare that they would be willing to sell and ship in the US?

Thank you

I recommend repair as well. Might as well do the flex card tune-up at the same time.

Project info HERE

I think we are definitely going to repair it but we need to have an extra one laying around anyways just in case something like this happens again with a local user. I found a card for sale but it has no cable unfortunately.

Let me check my stash to see if I have one to spare

I think we are definitely going to repair it but we need to have an extra one laying around anyways just in case something like this happens again with a local user. I found a card for sale but it has no cable unfortunately.

I have verified I do not have an extra to spare. I must have already rehomed it.

That cable was specific to the TI PEB, as the end closest to the console has a circuit card in it with some line driver chips. Otherwise, it is just an armored 44-pin flat cable. You're not likely to find a loose one anywhere, and about the only ones who ever had spare Flex Cards were the folks who switched a PEB to use it with a Geneve 9640, as that has no need for the Flex Cable Interface. There aren't a lot of those out there--which is why you rarely see a Flex Card for sale without a PEB (and TI never sold them separately except as a repair part).

Repair is really your best option--and if you really need a spare card, you would have to purchase a PEB that has one (which gives you more spare parts, but that is a good thing too if the PEB's backplane connectors ever wear out or you blow the fuse in the transformer).

Not sure if "blizzardworld1" (JT) at yahoo groups can help ?

(it is a bit difficult to find in yahoo groups, but I found it back:) I assume P-code Boxes = PEB Box (and not the UCSD P-code card) ?

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/TI99-4A/conversations/topics/87104;_ylc=X3oDMTJyMm5jb2x2BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzE0OTkwNzcEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDA3NzA5BG1zZ0lkAzg3MTA0BHNlYwNkbXNnBHNsawN2bXNnBHN0aW1lAzE0MzI0NTY3NDc-

Here's what is in my "Ti 99 / Geneve Room" : -- :
1 Ti99/4a Beige Computer Console
1 Ti99/4a Black/Silver Computer Console (just for a change-of-pace)
200 (Yes...TWO HUNDRED)... P-code Boxes...that way I would never have to change a fuse for the rest-of-eternity
Every "Card" ever designed for the P-code Box (including Geneve Card, 4 Different DD/DS cards (CC, Myarc, BwG , and, an original Ti FDC with a "heavenly design" enhancement that should have been made BEFORE 1983 in the first place.)
1 H/FDC
1 of EVERY Gram Device ever made for the Ti99/4a
LOTS of RAMDISKS!!!
2 (Yes, TWO) RS232 cards (Ti, of course, so that I could do a HDX-"fix") on ONE with the ability to "talk" to the "other" in one of my many other P-code boxes.
An ENTIRE "Radio Shack Store" Inventory , from the late-1970s - to the early-1980s ...merely for "parts" ;-)
1 of EVERY item in the "Heathkit/Zenith " Catalog from 1982 (once again, for "parts")....

We found 2 cards on ebay and ended up purchasing one of them.

One was the complete card with cable and another auction had just the card with no cable so we ended up not purchasing that one after reading Ksarul's advice.

We will attempt to repair the existing one that we have and at least we will also have a spare now. We picked it up for $37