IGNORED

Best Atari ST Paint Program(s)?

exxosuk is right.

there was a Deluxe Paint for the ST. but it was not in any way as good as the Amiga version, as i recall (maybe i remember wrong) it was very unstable.

then you have Degas Elite, but i also think that program is bad and very annoying to use.

Neochrome is only low resolutions, and also pretty bad.

many talk about that crack-art should be one of the best for the ST, but i have never try it, so i can't personally say any thing about it.

I have not found any drawing program for the ST, that fit my needs, the reason for why i made a ST drawing program for windows :D

Edited by fedepede04
  • Like 1

I would say the ideal painter is entirely down to whether you like the user interface or not. I despised Pablo Paint and never got on with Degas because the user interface never suited me (not because they were bad), but I liked Neochrome and Deluxe Paint. Canvas was an odd one, I believe the kid who did it programmed it in some tiny timeframe, he was some sort of prodigy! Loads of interesting features like a proprietry colour switching mode to get more colours on screen,and some not entirely useful 3D stuff. OCR Art Studio was another I used, quite handy for designing sprites in non-existant games! ;)

• Like 1

I would say the ideal painter is entirely down to whether you like the user interface or not.

I think that's spot on. With such low resolution and only 16 colours to work with, you don't really need that many tools. Copy and paste, zoom and lines - what more could you need? :D Personally, I love Degas Elite, but that may be because I came across it first, learnt it's foibles and could never get on with anything else!

• Like 2

Personally, I love Degas Elite, but that may be because I came across it first, learnt it's foibles and could never get on with anything else!

Hehe, that describes my ST Art experience perfectly! :D Degas Elite is what we used in High School for drawing, and as i had a 520 STFM at home, that's what i spent many hours on perfecting projects for school. Afterwards i got other packages (CIB with all manuals) like Deluxe Paint and Neochrome (which i still have) but i could never get used to their interfaces. Later i bought a CIB Degas Elite (to complement my High School 'back-up' for Homework purposes ; ) so i would have the manual to learn & do more.

I would be interested in hearing others' experiences with different ST art packages as I would like to resuscitate my ST Arting ;)

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

I have never gotten to try the ST version, but Paintworks (published by Activision) on my IIgs is one of my favorite to work with. (The IIgs version I use is Paintworks Gold, which came out a few years after the Atari version. Not sure of feature differences between IIgs and Atari releases) If you can find a copy of that, that's an option for trying out too.

I love it for its easy to use masking, layering and lasso features especially, so I plan to give the ST version a try when I finally find a copy I can use.

• Like 1

Two copies of Paintworks on ebay UK at the moment (not my auctions I hasten to add), not sure what the postage will cost your side of the pond, but with our currently collapsing currency it will be quite a bit cheaper than usual :)

Haha actually ours is really weak at the moment. 1 USD = .76 p :\ Nevertheless I checked eBay and I saw the copy for 18 USD / 14 GBP...! Fine with me! However, do you think it would work on my NTSC machine?

Just remembered, the machine can do PAL/NTSC but it's my TV that will be the issue. :\

Edited by nicholas042893

Just ran the PASTI in Hatari.

No. Please disregard my earlier suggestion. Paintworks for the ST is NOT even CLOSE to the power of the IIgs version. I'm very sad to find out, it just doesn't have the same advanced and awesome features. :( I was too excited and hopeful!

Care to elaborate on this? Perhaps some other program has the features you're missing.

Canvas gets my vote too. Used the demo version along with screen grabber for years until ST Format gave away the full version. Deluxe Paint ST was also superb, especially with its gradient fills and animation features. It never crashed on my machine.

Edited by marakatti

Care to elaborate on this? Perhaps some other program has the features you're missing.

Sure! Well, something I use a lot on Paintworks for the IIgs is what they termed as "slippy colors", the ability to select certain colors for the lasso tool to avoid when it "slips around" and selects an object made of all other colors. This is helpful for selecting an oddly shaped object, and fast, to copy/paste, move, flip, remove, etc. Another is stretching, warping, skewing of objects and perspective alterations. Then, there's the masking ability, to select certain colors in the image to be left alone or "fixed" so that work can continue around or even behind them for layering abilities. DeluxePaint versions that I've used have had some ability, like "Fix Background" but that only goes so far. There's a few other things, but those are what I use the most. I looked on YouTube and I found this which actually demonstrates a few things I use in Paintworks all the time. https://youtu.be/KVzSGB4MVcg?t=21m40s

I tried DEGAS, DeluxePaint, Canvas, Spectrum 512, a few others but I didn't notice any of these features. Any ideas?

• Like 1

I grew up a Commodore kid loving programs like Deluxe Paint and Brilliance. What would be consider the equivalents on the Atari St machines? All info, details, opinions appreciated thanks!

If you are asking as a matter of nostalgia, then of course, go for it. But if there is an actual practical reason for the request, you might like to know that Deluxe Paint has been ported, or at least recreated, for Windows in the form of the title Grafx2. You can get it here:

http://pulkomandy.tk/projects/GrafX2

In addition, GIMP can handle many of the file formats used by Amiga and Atari paint programs and libraries.

Edited by pixelmischief
  • Like 1

If you are asking as a matter of nostalgia, then of course, go for it. But if there is an actual practical reason for the request, you might like to know that Deluxe Paint has been ported, or at least recreated, for Windows in the form of the title Grafx2. You can get it here:

http://pulkomandy.tk/projects/GrafX2

In addition, GIMP can handle many of the file formats used by Amiga and Atari paint programs and libraries.

I was aware of it but anyway my intent was for a Atari St specific program.

Sure! Well, something I use a lot on Paintworks for the IIgs is what they termed as "slippy colors", the ability to select certain colors for the lasso tool to avoid when it "slips around" and selects an object made of all other colors. This is helpful for selecting an oddly shaped object, and fast, to copy/paste, move, flip, remove, etc. Another is stretching, warping, skewing of objects and perspective alterations. Then, there's the masking ability, to select certain colors in the image to be left alone or "fixed" so that work can continue around or even behind them for layering abilities. DeluxePaint versions that I've used have had some ability, like "Fix Background" but that only goes so far. There's a few other things, but those are what I use the most. I looked on YouTube and I found this which actually demonstrates a few things I use in Paintworks all the time. https://youtu.be/KVzSGB4MVcg?t=21m40s

I tried DEGAS, DeluxePaint, Canvas, Spectrum 512, a few others but I didn't notice any of these features. Any ideas?

I think that all these features can be done using Deluxe Paint ST (can't understand why all people hate it. Granted, I never used the amiga version -looked pretty boring tbh!- but I found the ST version great) and CrackArt. I'll have to do some tests to verify each feature as it's been a long time since I used them and will get back to you.