IGNORED

TI-99/4A Not working! Help!

xCoduster

Check the TV channel (Channel 36, or check other channels, around 595 MHz ?)

Is it an European Console? (Din-plug has 6 pins in total?)

Maybe check the PAL-modulator?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2209774843/10153007017404844/

http://www.ti99.com/ti99r1.htm

(in the metal box, you can change the frequencies, be very careful, as the black item (tuner) can break easily)

and then maybe check other frequencies on the TV, maybe use fine-tuning ?)

If it is an USA console (DIN 5 pins), then better get a cable with composite connectors

Are you based in Europe?

6 pin is EU

Might be Pal modulator or check the.coax cable

I had some issues with those.

Have you opened the pal modulator?

I removed the metal plate covering

the channel selector

do you.see any light blue or title screen related

info on.the tv or lcd

• 3 months later...

After a while the screen goes black and then it blinks white and white lines goes over the screen.

Let's do a little diagnosis first before we go any further...

1) Is the picture stable at first?

2) Does it degrade AFTER the computer warms up... (usually a predictable time interval)?

If so, let's isolate which device is causing the problem.

1) Turn on the TI WITHOUT the RF modulator plugged in, and let it set for the time it usually takes to go bad plus a few extra minutes.

2) Now plug in the RF modulator.

Question: Is the image ALREADY bad, or is it stable? If it's stable the modulator is probably the culprit, if it's instantly bad, the TI is probably the issue. Now we can focus on what course of action to take.

• Like 1

Hello xcoduster :)

the Black Screen is very common in the TI-99 ... is not a single thing as problem and it could be any.

you could try to build a simple Cable with composite signal, but because it will be a PAL version of the TI99 you will be found an image in B/W, the cable could just help you to see if the TI screen appear on the TV or a black screen again will be.

and fo some other kind of modification of the modulator you can try also to this link: http://www.ti99iuc.it/web/index.php?pageid=119&pagina=mod_proj1&sezione=4&data=Mod_and_Tuneed

just it is possible that is not the modulator broken, maybe the ti99 Motherboard is the problem, Xad Nightfall has repaired all my 15 TI99 and lot of them had black screen.

you can check at his website for have some suggestions on the problem of your TI., at THIS link.

Edited by ti99iuc

Let's do a little diagnosis first before we go any further...

1) Is the picture stable at first?

2) Does it degrade AFTER the computer warms up... (usually a predictable time interval)?

If so, let's isolate which device is causing the problem.

1) Turn on the TI WITHOUT the RF modulator plugged in, and let it set for the time it usually takes to go bad plus a few extra minutes.

2) Now plug in the RF modulator.

Question: Is the image ALREADY bad, or is it stable? If it's stable the modulator is probably the culprit, if it's instantly bad, the TI is probably the issue. Now we can focus on what course of action to take.

1) No

2) The screen goes black and white lines drops down from the top when it has warmed up

The image is already bad.

With the DIN connector on the 'computer end' of the modulator cable, you should be able to slide the plastic sheath back (might be a metal tab that you have to push back into the connector slightly) and separate the two halves of the connector shell. You can then check if any of the signal cables has broken from the connector pin.

Also look at the connector pins and check if they are badly tarnished so not making a good connection. Might be the case if the computer hasn't been used for years.

If you've got a multimeter then I can tell you which pins to test to check that you've at least got power getting to the modulator board.

Stuart.

xCoduster, on 01 Nov 2015 - 09:32 AM, said:

Wich pins should I test?

If you put the box as you had in your photo earlier, with the cable on the left and the silver Astec modulator on the right. There is a group of 4 ICs on the PCB. The bottom right IC should be labelled LM1889. Check the voltage between the 5th pin down from the top left of this IC(-ve) and the pin directly opposite that on the right hand side (+ve). You should get around 12V.

Also, are you testing this on a 'modern' TV or an old analogue one? The modulator output frequency may well have drifted over the years and a modern TV won't lock to it, but an old analogue one will.

Stuart.

• Like 1

I get 11.67 Volts on those pins.

I tested the machine on 2 modern TV's and I got the same result with blurry screen and a long beeping sound.

But booth of them lock to the right frequency.

If it's beeping from the moment you apply power to the moment you switch if off, that's a console problem - it's not booting and the sound generator isn't being switched off. First thing you could try is strip down the console (see [http://www.mainbyte.com/ti99/console/console_dis.html] if you're not sure how to) and remove/reseat the 6(?) socketed chips. That might just sort it. If that doesn't help, then might be easiest to get a 'new' console off ebay.