IGNORED

Atari 8bit racing game "like Enduro" ?

Cafeman

Somebody here once mentioned a racing game on the Atari 8bit that was in essence "Enduro for the Atari computers". Enduro 2600. I'm not saying it was an Enduro clone but something about the experience must've sparked the similarity.

ANyone know the name? Can you supply some pictures? Or the ROM? Thanks.

thanks!

I've gotten a few chances to play it on Atari800win 3.0! I certainly does seem like the Enduro engine, but the complexity greatly increased. In fact, I prefer Enduro's all-out pass-cars mentality more, I think. I don't like to stop for gas (and then I often miss the gas tank!). I would have made gas that you had to run into (arcade-style pickups) I think, to keep the speed going. But seriously -- I would have LOVED this game if I had known about it back in its day.

I checked out the Display List -- the road is Antic E it seems, with the scroll registers set on most of the lines. Lots of LMS's too for some reason, which I don't really understand. How do you think they are doing the road graphics? Is it all background graphics being horizontally scrolled? I thought that the 2600 Enduro used a kernel and the two missiles for the roadside curves. Any help ?

(As you see, my interest in this game is part research for an upcoming 5200 idea).

TGACCRR is one of my faves...

most of atari racing games (pole position, elektra glide) where done in scrolling horizontal every scanline to have the "curves" effect... but country race could be done by missles as well... but i havent checked it...

i love that game... best is...it saves highscore / best times...

and remember with fullspeed you can pass the cops chasing you... ;)

hve