IGNORED

Sega Genesis 1 to RGB Cable

llangston1

I still have the cable I used to connect my Sega genesis 1 to a Commodore 1084s RGB monitor. This cable has a 8 pin plug on the genesis side and a 6 pin male plug on the opposite end with a red RCA pigtail for mono sound. I no longer have the Commodore monitor and want to connect the system to my modern TVs with RGB inputs so my grandkids can use it. is there an easy way to go from the 6 pin plug to standard RGB RCA plugs or is some sort of converter box needed? I no longer have the old RF cable either so right now I have no way of connecting the system to see if it works. Should I just get the old composite video cable first?

Modern TVs in the USA don't have RGB inputs. I don't know what is the standard RGB RCA plug you are talking about.

You could get a cheap Composite cable to see if the console still works (but there is no reason it wouldn't).

What you need if you want to give your grandchildren the better visual quality, you need to get a Megadrive Scart cable and a Scart RGB to Component transcoder. Some transcoders don't have audio pass-through, so you may want to use an adapter with audio out in between. Don't forget to put the TV in "game mode" and disable any picture enhancement it can have.

41Cy4bi6DZL._SX300_.jpg

SCART_Adapter.jpg

517NUdr5eEL._SY355_.jpg

Python-Component-Video-Cable-With-Audio-

Please don't use an HDMI upscaler box. Unless it's called Framemeister, they are utter crap.

Edited by jarreboum

Thx for the advice. I got my composite cable and hooked the sustem up and it worked! I had to clean the 3 button controller and after that all my games appear to work fine. Most of them I had to insert and remove several times to get them to srart ip but they did. So what I have will work for now until I can get a component cable. For a SCART connection I need a AV port to SCART cable, a SCART interface box, and then the cable from the box to the Component TV inputs. Correct? Where do you buy all that? Amazon, ebay? What are the normal prices?

You need exactly what I listed. You can find everything on ebay or amazon for quite cheap.

The only thing I would suggest not going cheap on, is the Genesis Scart cable. Cheap Scart cables are unshielded and tend to have crosstalk between the wires, resulting in a buzzing sound (video signals are more robust and aren't much affected by the crosstalk). The buzzing is mainly heard when there is no music though and I know some people aren't bothered by it. But if you are, I would suggest cables sold by retro_console_accessories on ebay and get her coaxial option.

The best way to make your carts working is to clean them. Open them with a normal screwdriver or a gamebit screwdriver and rub the contacts with a pink eraser. After a good strong rub, your games should be good as new. there are chemicals cleaners if the eraser doesn't work, but I would save them for a last resort, because chemicals.

Edited by jarreboum