IGNORED

RespeQt r2 released

Joey Z

Is there anywhere a version available compiled for Linux that can be started just from the GUI?

It should not be related to a special version of Linux.

no precompiled version for linux yet, maybe never (depends if I get enough time). It's very easy to compile once you get the Qt5 libs and dev files installed.

Also please use the RespeQt general discussion thread: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/242422-respeqt-general-discussion/

Edited by Joey Z

Okay - Mac users, give this a try. It's considerably larger than prior versions because I finally figured out the utterly crap-tastic Qt documentation for OS X app deployment. The Qt libraries necessary to use the application are now stored as OS X "frameworks" contained within the app bundle. So if you have a Mac and do NOT have Qt installed, please give this a try and let me know how it goes.

Please note: this is still a 64-bit app so it will not run on 10.6 or earlier. I have to compile a separate 32-bit version of Qt which isn't very hard, just time consuming. Hopefully after I get my hardware mods straightened out I'll be able to get to it (sorry FJC!!).

https://github.com/jzatarski/RespeQt/releases/download/r2/RespeQt.dmg

Finally got a proper Intel OS X setup - albeit 10.6.8 - and I get this:

post-21964-0-76851300-1442051297_thumb.png

Got XCode 4.2 installed, command line tools present, but haven't installed Qt.

Well, that's disappointing but not entirely surprising. It's still a 64-bit app. I haven't yet been able to take the time to tackle a 32-bit build for 10.6. Mathy has reported that the r2 build works on his system, but I don't recall what version of OS X he's using.

Sorry, FJC - I still intend to figure out how to do a 32-bit build but it keeps getting bumped down the queue of my To Do list. :(

yes, that definitely seems more like an issue related to not finding a library more than anything else

The error message is referring to libc++

I'm surprised that's an issue. That's part of the OS X Xcode libraries, but shouldn't matter for a standalone app. Of course, I'm not sure how QT packages things up into disk image files either.

Try this one and see if you get the same error. It's a somewhat later build I made incorporating the RespeQt menu bar into the standard Mac menu bar at the top of the screen.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/z9npk0rbb3f5f0o/AAD6wpc5vhtDKfjrN7Z-rsNDa?dl=0

Try this one and see if you get the same error.

Thanks. Odd results there. I assume that's the APP file with .ZIP added to the end? I had to download that in Windows then rename it to prevent OS X unpacking the application and leaving me with just a Contents folder. Anyway, once renamed, OS X thinks it's a Classic Mode app and won't run it. :o

In the immortal words of Dr. Evil, this is ri-god-damn-diculous. :) I don't understand what the heck Dropbox did to my file. It's supposed to be the straightforward RespeQt r2.5.app file. The Share link mangles the file and treats it as a folder, not a .app bundle. Jeez. I zipped it up and uploaded it again. Even zipped it's slightly bigger than 10 megabytes so I can't just attach it here. Try this link instead:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/adhl81yyto9yyut/RespeQt%20r2.5.zip?dl=0

Hello DrVenkman

Mathy has reported that the r2 build works on his system, but I don't recall what version of OS X he's using.

Don't remember which one exactly. I'm using Yosemite again, after I tested El Capitan for a while. It might have been either.

Sincerely

Mathy

Thanks for the new file but I got the same missing library error. I get the feeling the highest XCode version for 10.6.8 is way too old for this. I'm gonna install 10.9 tomorrow and try again.

That's really problematic if the binary requires Xcode to be installed to run. That's NOT a standard part of the OS X installation process, and (as you know) consumes another several gigabytes of user hard drive space.

I'll test your new builds on the laptop which has Qt installed to eliminate the missing library problem.

Ugh. That's really not suppose to be an issue if QtCreator is doing what it SAYS it's doing. I mean, there's a reason why the binary bloats up from <2 megabytes to >25 megs, right? It's supposed to be including all the necessary linked Qt frameworks and resources into the app bundle.

That libc++ error doesn't look like a Qt thing though - it's like an Xcode error. But again, ordinary users shouldn't need to have Xcode installed to use a simple binary. I sure wish I had a spare "virgin" Mac available to test on, a system without Qt or Xcode installed.

Edited by DrVenkman

Ugh. That's really not suppose to be an issue if QtCreator is doing what it SAYS it's doing. That libc++ error doesn't look like a Qt thing though - it's like an Xcode error. But again, ordinary users shouldn't need to have Xcode installed to use a simply binary.

Agreed. I'll install Qt on this machine eventually anyway since I want to play with the RespeQt sources a bit, but I've had all kinds of GCC issues which result in a complete inability to build WINE, so something's obviously mangled. I suppose Qt now (understandably) targets more recent OS X versions, and Mathy's experience would seem to suggest that dependency problems don't exist there. 10.6.8 is getting a bit long in the tooth as a platform for any kind of development work.

Finally got a proper Intel OS X setup - albeit 10.6.8 - and I get this:

attachicon.gifRespeQt Crash.png

Got XCode 4.2 installed, command line tools present, but haven't installed Qt.

http://superuser.com/questions/838812/running-julia-on-macos-x-missing-libc-1-dy

seems libc++ is not present on 10.6.8. The library they used was libstdc++. As a result, Apple broke backwards compatibility, for what appears to be no reason other than to force you to upgrade. Which is why I don't buy Apple...

• Like 1

http://superuser.com/questions/838812/running-julia-on-macos-x-missing-libc-1-dy

seems libc++ is not present on 10.6.8. The library they used was libstdc++. As a result, Apple broke backwards compatibility, for what appears to be no reason other than to force you to upgrade. Which is why I don't buy Apple...

Considering OS X upgrades around the time of 10.7 (which was a pretty substantial upgrade) cost $29, and then a year or two later for 10.9 went free as in beer, the "forced upgrade" is really not a good way to phrase it. More like, "Since we're providing support and security fixes, plus routine updates and improvements for next to nothing, we don't want to do it for more than a couple years past." Hard to argue with that from my point of view. And since this year's 10.11 El Capitan runs great on my 4-1/2 year old laptop, again it's hard to complain about free major OS updates.

But this is getting far afield. I figured there was a reason why Qt docs (as obtuse and inconsistent as they can be in some areas) make a big deal about targeting for 10.6 and earlier versus 10.7 and later. That's one of the biggies.

without reading the whole thread, here I introduce my build of RespeQt (built from the Sept 13 2015 snapshot of the RespeQt-master zip from this location: https://github.com/jzatarski/RespeQt) ... built on Debian Jessie 64 bit

download location and additional hints at http://www.abbuc.de/...wnload/#respeqt

(as I didn't read the this thread, I don't know if this is these were the most current sources)

without reading the whole thread, here I introduce my build of RespeQt (built from the Sept 13 2015 snapshot of the RespeQt-master zip from this location: https://github.com/jzatarski/RespeQt) ... built on Debian Jessie 64 bit

download location and additional hints at http://www.abbuc.de/...wnload/#respeqt

(as I didn't read the this thread, I don't know if this is these were the most current sources)

As I said in the other thread, these should be the latest sources if you got them from github on september 13, as I haven't made any changes for quite a while. Anyway, with your permission, I'd like to add your build to the github releases page, or if you have a github account, I can give you permissions to do so yourself.

handing in later, the 32 bit build of RespeQt: http://www.abbuc.de/~atarixle/download/#respeqt

strangest thing is, that I built RespeQt with CONFIG += static in the .pro file ... but the size of RespeQt 64 bit is exactly the same as before ...

yes, it's more complex than this I believe. I think you need a statically built version of the library as well. When you specify static there, it'll use static libraries if it can find them, but if it can't it ends up using the shared libraries. If you test on a machine without Qt libs, I bet it won't run. You'll probably end up with a final file of at least 15mb or so when you do get it to statically compile.

I know on windows, the process of building Qt at all (let alone statically) was a PITA, but hopefully it works more or less out of the box on linux.

See the Qt website for more information: http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/linux-deployment.html

Edited by Joey Z

Joey is correct. I ran into this with OS X builds as well. The "proper" static build swelled from roughly 1.8 megabytes to approximately 25.5 megs once the app bundle was linked to all the necessary support libraries and files.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Notes for RespeQt r2 (Windows)

My System: Windows 10 64x

- Toggling between mini mode and main window renders the close button (X) dimmed and hence doesn't close. Closing the program is available only through File --> Quit or by right clicking the icon in Task bar.
- In shade mode, the the shaded mini window is unmovable. Depending on its location on the Desktop, it causes part of the open sub windows such as the User Manual not to show.
- Right clicking on Respect icon at the Task bar open a new session of Respect.
Suggestion: Toggling between mini and full window should be available by double clicking the toolbar area of RespeQt, in addition to the menu selection.
post-37046-0-75224600-1442343059_thumb.png post-37046-0-65464100-1442343074_thumb.jpg
post-37046-0-01475900-1442343095_thumb.png

Notes for RespeQt r2 (Windows)

My System: Windows 10 64x

- Toggling between mini mode and main window renders the close button (X) dimmed and hence doesn't close. Closing the program is available only through File --> Quit or by right clicking the icon in Task bar.
- In shade mode, the the shaded mini window is unmovable. Depending on its location on the Desktop, it causes part of the open sub windows such as the User Manual not to show.
- Right clicking on Respect icon at the Task bar open a new session of Respect.
Suggestion: Toggling between mini and full window should be available by double clicking the toolbar area of RespeQt, in addition to the menu selection.

first two confirmed on windows 7, no issue with #3 on windows 7. However, I have created a temporary workaround for you:

1. install windows 7

2. use windows 7 instead

Alternatively:

1. in the event you have the urge to right click on the RespeQt taskbar icon, don't do it

:) (that was an attempt at humor)

Seriously though:

As I do not (and probably will not ever) run windows 10, I can't help you with #3. If the issue arises on windows 8 then I may be able to figure out what the issue is. Regardless, please create a post in this forum for each bug, and I'll get around to them *eventually*. For now, create each post with the first tag 'bug' and use the first tag as a header (there's a checkbox in the post options).

This is a good time to mention that anyone who submits anything to RespeQt gets honorable mention in the readme/docs, your name in the copyright on the modified file, etc. Help fixing bugs is appreciated, always, as I have limited time here at school to do it myself.