IGNORED

King's Quest: A Knight to Remember

Charlie_

Anyone else playing this? I'm a huge King's Quest fan of old, and I must say I am really enjoying this reboot of the series. The animation and voice work are top notch. I wasn't a fan of the art style at first but it has grown on me and the scenery is beautiful.

When I played through the first parts of the game it felt very much like an on-rails adventure. However after that the game world opens up and you can freely move about the game world. I realize the first parts of the game is to get you used to the games mechanics, as there is no tutorial or anything.

The game plays from a single save spot, so no matter what choices you make in the game it can be played out to reach the objective. I like this as there is nothing more frustrating that say, KQ2 where if you crossed the bridge too many times the game is not winnable after so much playing. In this new game you can choose a different save slot, but that is a whole different game. I plan to use a 2nd save slot to go after different objectives than I did on my 1st play through.

I'm playing on the Xbox One and it is nice and smooth, fast loading, gorgeous game.

So again, anyone else playing this? What do you think so far?

$40 for the series doesn't both me a bit. As long as it gets finished in a timely manner. :) The game is top notch, I finished Chapter one already and it was really fun. Going to play through again and this time choose different ways of going about things. See how it plays out. I shot the dragon in his 2nd eye my 1st time through, blinding him completely. I kind of regret doing that, so this time through will be different. :)

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I am just discovering this game. I've been playing it this month, and I am totally blown away. I did wait until it was part of a Humble Bundle and waited even longer to play it. I thought it would just be capitalizing on the popularity of Telltale Games (TWD, GoT, Batman, etc) and copy that format, but it is completely different.

The story is a clever and touching narrative that progresses through the chapters showing the aging of King Graham and the maturation of his family. It hearkens back to the original series in inventive ways, and you can tell deals with the developers' own experiences with making the games and likely growing through various life stages while creating the classic series.

The puzzles are great. Unlike recent Telltale games, you actually have to think about these. However, they aren't too hard and every time something has happened that makes me a little frustrated, the game redeems itself by reaching new levels of creativity and characterization.

The references to the original games are placed into the story and puzzles with just the right mix of new and old, so you never feel like you are playing an old game. Instead, you are constantly connected to the history behind the original series in a perfectly balanced way. This has really pulled me back into the lore. I was enjoying the new chapters so much that it prompted to me stop playing and actually watch some walkthroughs of KQ 1-5 on Youtube!

• Like 1