IGNORED

My (yech!) racing demo

I've been wanting to do a racing game similiar to Fatal Run only to make it funny by having the main character as a panda. I've been trying to get certain things to work such as a cop running you off the road to getting enemy cars to pass/bump into you with peds crossing etc. The demo is very glitchy. You start out on a city map (original by Mord) ( which also needs a lot of work) and if you hit a marker, you'd go into a race.

My code is pretty much a mess until I figure out how to get things working smoothly. I'm still a Noob at 7800Basic especially the math.

panda_racer.bas

panda_racer.bas.a78

gfx.zip

• Like 6

Hi Franco

glad to see a new project :)

any way to get it on my Cuttle cart 2 ?

Cause the cuttle cart has its problems with

256 k games

A video would be nice,cause i have some problems with Mess

greetings Walter

I could turn it into a 512K since you had no problems with that size.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's the newest demo. Things added are green and red orbs that fall from the sky. Green orbs keep your gas tank full while red ones deplete your tank. The gas tank: green=full:blue=half full:red=empty. If you collect another red orb while your tank is empty, then the game is over. Also added an Animal Control van. Doesn't work quite yet but if you come in contact with it, you'll have to punch the animal control guy all the way to the right. If he gets you to the left, the game is over.

Known bugs: orbs don't/refuse to scroll down, flickering of sprites, parts of the road disappears/appears over the car.

panda_racer.bas.bin

panda_racer.bas.a78

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Here's another update to Panda Racer WIP:

So far I've come up with five tracks and a beat 'em up stage with a zookeeper. Everything still is very buggy as certain tracks make your fuel gauge turn colors without collecting an orb. Parts of sprites have a tendency to appear on the bottom. The only major trouble I have is the bankswitching code doesn't work with collisions with other icons on the world map after completing a race. I've tried various solutions like adding "return", "return thisbank" and even "return otherbank" but it either flashes or crashes onto the main city map. I even tried to "reset" the map by bankswitching to bank one then back to bank two but nothing seems to work after completing a race.

The only thing I can think of is to reboot when the player finishes a race.

This next update changes the city map by using the Draker Quest coding. After finding out (which is why sometimes I'd like to take out my brain and stomp on it) in Draker Quest, I had the same problem with entering one level then re-entering it only to find the bankswitching won't work on the same screenmap (duh). The game is still very glitchy but playable.

panda_racer.bas.a78

panda_racer.bas.bin

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

More bankswitching woes this time. After completing a race, if you collide with another car on the main map, the screen will flicker and go back to the main map. I don't know what I'm missing in the code but I've tried everything from renaming the graphic files to changing the DIM's.

panda_racer.bas

panda_racer.bas.a78

panda_racer.bas.bin

gfx.zip

• 3 weeks later...

It's time for another update. So far the game has ten tracks within two cities. Known issues (still) are the roads sometimes disappear, glitching cars and orbs. This time the cars are trying to run you off the road. There are now backgrounds which move using fixed point variables. I've tried using these variables with other objects but they won't work correctly. I've also eliminated roadside objects like trees as these tend to crash the game.

panda_racer.bas.bin

panda_racer.bas.a78

• Like 1