IGNORED

Do you think 1986 Atari Controller Label Typos done on purpose?

Philflound

As many of you know, I've been working on the photo site of all the variations. I'm currently going through line by line and make sure what is being shown in the photo is accurate with what is on the giant list. What I'm finding is that many games, maybe even most of the ones re-released in 1986 had the wrong controllers listed on the labels along with omitting the controller or putting the black tape over the typo. Do you think this was done on purpose? I can't see someone at Atari making this many errors. I can understand if they thought paddle games were joysticks, but reversing the joystick to paddles just seems too obvious that they were screwing up every label on purpose. Anyone ever heard anything about this in the rumor mill, or possibly knew someone at Atari back then? I'm curious if all the labels were corrected too. I just updated Fun with Numbers 1986 to read it has a typo. Thing is, I have no evidence of this label ever seeing a black tape or correct joystick listed. I think there may be a few other titles that also did not have the corrected controller and may only have had a black tape version.

Since I've decided to make a list of possible and definite missing scans, I may put on the list those that should have had a corrected label also. I thought I could finish updating the giant list by the end of the weekend, but there is just too much info to compare. As I work on it, I'll update the giant list, so a newer version than the one I did the other day will go live tonight, but will not be completed.

Phil

Edited by Philflound
  • Like 2

If you meant "Do you think those 1986 Atari Label Controller Typos were incorrect on purpose?", then no, I don't.

If you meant "Do you think those 1986 Atari Labels that happened to have Controller Typos were printed on purpose?", then yes.

If you meant "Do you think those 1986 Labels (that had Typos) on Atari Controllers were done on purpose?", then I'm not sure...did you mean were the controllers manufactured on purpose, or were the labels on those controllers put there on purpose, or were the typos there on purpose? or what was the purpose of the typos? or what was the purpose of the controllers? (Well, at least I'm pretty sure I know the answer to THAT one)

No, implying they did it on purpose is a bit ridiculous, lol.

In 1986 Atari was starting to fall hard, meaning employees are making less money (and there are less of them in general) meaning quality goes waaaay down. When you pay a bunch of temps minimum wage to slap carts together this is what you get, mistakes that nobody catches until it's way down the line.

Funny thing is it would actually cost them MORE to correct the mistake, so yeah, it was not done on purpose...

I don't know why the error labels came out the way they did. I'd guess they just used the template from a paddle label and slapped the artwork and title over it, perhaps figuring it wouldn't really matter since they still had the instruction manuals. It would obviously be cheaper anyway, and "cheap" was Atari Corp.'s modus operandi.

But then on the other hand, some versions of the orange-background Breakout cart, for instance, say to use joysticks. And a few games actually have correct controller info. So I have no idea. Maybe it really was just some temp screwing with people? Might explain the orange background, too. :-D

It would be interesting to find out more about all these weird label errors and variations that happened under Atari Corp. Or how things like "Raiders Lost Ark," "Pole Positn," and the pirate-esque Hangman came to pass.

The only thing that comes to mind if it wasn't done on purpose is the fact that the person making these labels had no clue about Atari games and no access to the original game, manual, or box, since all these had the correct controller listed.

Well, you have to remember that not everyone that works for a company really cares at all about it. I've done some temp jobs that I know I did a terrible job with. I remember one specific incident working in a plastics factory in 1994, we were assembling these Looney Toons window cling sets, I must have assembled 100's of them wrong before someone bothered to tell me the correct way. When I told him about the bad ones he just shrugged his shoulders and said " I didn't see anything" and down the line he went. If for some reason those were collectable now, people may have discussions as to why it happened, with complex theories and such but the answer was simple... I was a dumb kid making minimum wage and hated my job. I didn't lose one minute of sleep over it and a few hundred looney toon window sets made it out the door with entirely wrong parts :) No big conspiracy, companies just get what they pay for. You hire idiots (me) that just want to work a few days for beer money then you end up with inferior products riddled with mistakes :)

• Like 1

It's sad about that mentality, though it is common. I can't tell you how many teens to 20s I see in a retail setting, constantly checking their texts or sending them instead of working. Hanging out instead of working. Taking their time instead of working.

A little over 10 years ago before I got into teaching, I worked for AXA/Equitable as a temp. Didn't get paid much. My dept checked, verified, and changed the 401k and other pension plans for people including teachers. I found that funny when I would get an invoice with a friend's name on it. We had batches to do each day. Some batches would have maybe 2-5 companies/districts, others had 15-20. We usually got about 5-10 to start with for each employee. After completing what we were given, we would go see the manager and get a couple more to work on. On light days, I may take a little longer, or browse the web. Heavy days, I cranked out the paperwork.

My speed and one other employee was about 3x faster than everyone else. One day, a young lady in her mid-20s walks up to me and tells me to slow down because I was making her look bad. I told her I wasn't being paid to hang out by the water cooler or coffee machine, but to work. I didn't care what she thought and what she said. I continued to work at my pace. My grandfather instilled in me a long time ago that no matter what type of job you have, you do it to the best of your ability. I've had that mentality since I started working steadily at the age of 17.

I don't have to wonder why society has turned out the way it has. The entitlement generation is upon us. "We, the govt, are going to take care of you from cradle to grave." It's tough finding kids who want to strive for much. This past year, I had a student who scored a 70 on his report card. His answer to me was, "it's passing". I told him if he was stocking 100 cans of corn in Wal-mart and thought it was ok to do only 70 of those cans, he wouldn't have a job. I actually told him what if he only got paid 70% of his salary? Then all of a sudden it wasn't fair.

Phil

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I lost the job at AXA because they moved to Syracuse, NY. I wasn't really thrilled to move north and deal with blizzards every winter. But I, the temp, was offered a permanent position, and that young lady wasn't even asked to go.

Edited by Philflound

It's sad about that mentality, though it is common. I can't tell you how many teens to 20s I see in a retail setting, constantly checking their texts or sending them instead of working. Hanging out instead of working. Taking their time instead of working.

I say good for them. These large companies nickel and dime the employees to death in efforts to get the absolute cheapest labor possible while they clear billions of dollars in profits. You get what you pay for man....you want good employees, pay them a good wage.

There actually was an era where a retail store would have a good employee that cared about the company and would provide excellent service, and this employee was paid a wage he could actually live on and provide for his/her family.....even health insurance and some form of pension plan....what?? Of course these stores realized they could hire kids and pay them peanuts to do the same job....again, you get what you pay for....

These large companies love when people get mad at the EMPLOYEES and go on and on about how thats whats wrong with America, nobody wants to work hard, they love it because it gets the focus off them, the company who did have good employees but fired them all for the cheapest possible employee they could find.

You want good employees then pay good money, if you pay the bare minimum well, you get the bare minimum employee :)

• Like 2

I know I should save this for the politics forum, but I'd like to point out that lazy teens is hardly a new thing. I can think of examples going back to the early sixties, and they're rarely called an entitlement generation. Eventually the kids grow up and get responsible. Then they look at the new kids and the cycle begins again. Remember, flappers were scandalous because you could see their knees!

• Like 1

It very well could have been done intentionally as a joke from an employee to see just how much QA paid no attention what so ever to the final product or a disgruntled employee who felt underpaid at the time and pissed off.... or maybe they were all just still stoners and being typical Atari... though I'm sure in '86, everything had calmed down to a peaceful state of "no drugs on-site" kind of work environment. Everyone having withdraws and making stupid mistakes sounds right, no? ;-)

Edited by Clint Thompson

people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Lol. Or that hired a 5 year old lol. Cheeper labour lol.

BassGuitari was drawing attention to the fact that you made a typo in the very sentence where you called people who can't spell idiots. Y'know... irony?

• Like 1

I say good for them. These large companies nickel and dime the employees to death in efforts to get the absolute cheapest labor possible while they clear billions of dollars in profits. You get what you pay for man....you want good employees, pay them a good wage.

There actually was an era where a retail store would have a good employee that cared about the company and would provide excellent service, and this employee was paid a wage he could actually live on and provide for his/her family.....even health insurance and some form of pension plan....what?? Of course these stores realized they could hire kids and pay them peanuts to do the same job....again, you get what you pay for....

These large companies love when people get mad at the EMPLOYEES and go on and on about how thats whats wrong with America, nobody wants to work hard, they love it because it gets the focus off them, the company who did have good employees but fired them all for the cheapest possible employee they could find.

You want good employees then pay good money, if you pay the bare minimum well, you get the bare minimum employee :)

I don't agree with that at all. When I was 17, I was hired by a fabric store to clean up for 2 hours before closing. On Saturdays, I would work some extra hours and help with customers finding patterns or cutting the fabric from the rolls. This was 1987 with the minimum wage of $3.35. I made.... guess what?... $3.35. I didn't complain about it. I didn't slack off my job. In fact I hated having to scrape gum off the floor with a razor. I worked to the best of my ability. I didn't say, "since he's paying me so little, I'll go hide and take a nap. (Don't have the time during 2 hours though not the point). The people at McD complain they want $15 an hour, yet the cheese on my filet o fish is hanging out of the bun, AND it's only 1/2 a piece of cheese. I can't say how many times these fast food places get my order wrong.

I can't totally go against you because there are scum bag employers who do take advantage of the employees, but that is why there are laws. If I owned a business and had employees, I would have incentives for them to earn raises or bonuses. I don't expect people to work every second of their shift, unless of course they are busy. But having 10 people to fill in your job is usually not that difficult, especially if you didn't go to college for it.

Phil

A little over 10 years ago before I got into teaching, I worked for AXA/Equitable as a temp. Didn't get paid much. My dept checked, verified, and changed the 401k and other pension plans for people including teachers. I found that funny when I would get an invoice with a friend's name on it. We had batches to do each day. Some batches would have maybe 2-5 companies/districts, others had 15-20. We usually got about 5-10 to start with for each employee. After completing what we were given, we would go see the manager and get a couple more to work on. On light days, I may take a little longer, or browse the web. Heavy days, I cranked out the paperwork.

My speed and one other employee was about 3x faster than everyone else. One day, a young lady in her mid-20s walks up to me and tells me to slow down because I was making her look bad. I told her I wasn't being paid to hang out by the water cooler or coffee machine, but to work. I didn't care what she thought and what she said. I continued to work at my pace. My grandfather instilled in me a long time ago that no matter what type of job you have, you do it to the best of your ability. I've had that mentality since I started working steadily at the age of 17.

I don't have to wonder why society has turned out the way it has. The entitlement generation is upon us. "We, the govt, are going to take care of you from cradle to grave." It's tough finding kids who want to strive for much. This past year, I had a student who scored a 70 on his report card. His answer to me was, "it's passing". I told him if he was stocking 100 cans of corn in Wal-mart and thought it was ok to do only 70 of those cans, he wouldn't have a job. I actually told him what if he only got paid 70% of his salary? Then all of a sudden it wasn't fair.

Phil

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I lost the job at AXA because they moved to Syracuse, NY. I wasn't really thrilled to move north and deal with blizzards every winter. But I, the temp, was offered a permanent position, and that young lady wasn't even asked to go.

You are right on the mark. Meanwhile I can't even get my foot in any door for the last three years because companies prefer to hire incompetent kids to do the job.

I don't agree with that at all. When I was 17, I was hired by a fabric store to clean up for 2 hours before closing. On Saturdays, I would work some extra hours and help with customers finding patterns or cutting the fabric from the rolls. This was 1987 with the minimum wage of $3.35. I made.... guess what?... $3.35. I didn't complain about it. I didn't slack off my job. In fact I hated having to scrape gum off the floor with a razor. I worked to the best of my ability. I didn't say, "since he's paying me so little, I'll go hide and take a nap. (Don't have the time during 2 hours though not the point). The people at McD complain they want $15 an hour, yet the cheese on my filet o fish is hanging out of the bun, AND it's only 1/2 a piece of cheese. I can't say how many times these fast food places get my order wrong.

I can't totally go against you because there are scum bag employers who do take advantage of the employees, but that is why there are laws. If I owned a business and had employees, I would have incentives for them to earn raises or bonuses. I don't expect people to work every second of their shift, unless of course they are busy. But having 10 people to fill in your job is usually not that difficult, especially if you didn't go to college for it.

Phil

I think the comment below sums up what I am talking about nicely...

You are right on the mark. Meanwhile I can't even get my foot in any door for the last three years because companies prefer to hire incompetent kids to do the job.

This is exactly what I mean and I think you are missing my point Phil. Employers purposely hire incompetent kids to do the job because they will work for peanuts so they can bleed a few more cents out of every transaction. They don't care that the quality of product and service suffers as long as they make more money. They know a few shining stars will do the majority of the required work and they will give them some phoney "supervisor" title for an extra quarter an hour/etc.. Out of every 10 employees they will get one "Phil" that makes sure the gum is scrapped off the floor and thats just fine with them. The :"Phil" will get some bs promotion making just pennies more than his incompetent co workers and he/she will work even harder, rinse and repeat...

These are companies that are clearing billions upon billions of dollars in profits. Some of the largest employers in the world are a literal embarrassment to work for. Nobody ever wants to tell anyone they work for McDonalds or Walmart because they are embarrassed about it. Not only because the pay is so bad but because the quality of employee the public expects to work there is an incompetent moron and we all seem to be fine with that?

How on Earth does this make any sense? Why are the largest employers in America hiring the most incompetent employees when they should have the very best employees? I'll tell you why, because they will work for peanuts and they can clear millions of dollars more in profits. Back when GM was the largest employer in America it was an honor to work there. You got health insurance, a pension and a good days pay for your hard work. Now the largest employer in America is Walmart, you get minimum wage and a public reputation as being a moron that can't do anything else so you in turn deserve to get nothing! The company laughs all the way to the bank and we support them for doing so because these employees are beneath us, they wrok for McDonalds for Christs sake? Everytime I go there they get my order wrong (as you so put)....you are telling me these guys should work hard for their peanuts after all that? Why? We are supporting these successful companies to hire lazy teens when the most successful companies in America should be a place to be proud to work for....not something you hide and feel ashamed about...

McDonalds should not be a joke to work for, they are a highly successful company. Yes, I think if you work for one of the most successful fast food companies in America you should get at least $15 an hour. I don't think they should be a "joke" to work for or a "practice job" and I think the level of service you receive there would increase tenfold (as it should) As long as guys like yourself keep fighting these multi billion dollar companies battles for them though, the largest employers in America will continue to hire incompetent morons for 90% of the work force, we will continue to receive half assed service and be okay with and expect it, many hard working people will not be able to find decent work (as stated, it's a joke to work for McDonalds and all your co workers, not to mention the pay are going to suck) and we will continue to think the $15-$20 we make at our "good" jobs is normal and deserved when in fact we are being underpaid as well (I make $18 an hour as a machinist and am barely supporting my family or 4, we are poor and I actually "qualify" for assistance, how is this normal and why would I "fight" for this to be okay?) we are all getting screwed and whats worse is WE are supporting it....it can start with McDonalds man...just saying think about it :)

• Like 2

Excellent post Crazy Climber.

Thanks man, I never know what the reaction will be when I speak my mind about this stuff but I'm damn near a breaking point the more I hear people say certain jobs deserve such low pay when really it's ALL of us getting the shaft these days...

I took a huge gamble with my current job. It was a small company that really could have "sunk" at any moment (literally had 8 employees when I started) Initially the company literally was not making any profit or very little. I was hired at $13 an hour (after a 90 day probation of $10 an hour) and was told would receive a $1 to $5 "bonus" per hour twice yearly based on the companies profits. The bonus has always been around $1000 (so maybe $1 an hour) and I have recieved a 50 cent raise yearly so after 8 years I am making $17 an hour plus the $1 from bonus checks.

The problem here is our company has quadrupled in size and is making a LOT more profits but at my current pay there is a line down the block of people who will do it for the same pay or even much less. What I have is considered a "good" job and I should be thankful for it since I did not go to college to acquire this position. Since this is the "norm" of course my boss (the owner) is not going to pay me anymore and why should he? He's paying me damn near $10 over minimum wage! He is not doing anything wrong...at least I'm not working at McDonalds right?

Well, if you have a few highly successful companies that start paying $15+ an hour and employ a large percentage of America things start to change.

All I know is my "good" job still qualifies me for government assistance if so choose that route someday and is damn near $20k short of what the median average family of 4 should have to live on...changes can start with McDonalds man, we don't all have to be poor anymore.

• Like 2

Thanks man, I never know what the reaction will be when I speak my mind about this stuff but I'm damn near a breaking point the more I hear people say certain jobs deserve such low pay when really it's ALL of us getting the shaft these days...

I took a huge gamble with my current job. It was a small company that really could have "sunk" at any moment (literally had 8 employees when I started) Initially the company literally was not making any profit or very little. I was hired at $13 an hour (after a 90 day probation of $10 an hour) and was told would receive a $1 to $5 "bonus" per hour twice yearly based on the companies profits. The bonus has always been around $1000 (so maybe $1 an hour) and I have recieved a 50 cent raise yearly so after 8 years I am making $17 an hour plus the $1 from bonus checks.

The problem here is our company has quadrupled in size and is making a LOT more profits but at my current pay there is a line down the block of people who will do it for the same pay or even much less. What I have is considered a "good" job and I should be thankful for it since I did not go to college to acquire this position. Since this is the "norm" of course my boss (the owner) is not going to pay me anymore and why should he? He's paying me damn near $10 over minimum wage! He is not doing anything wrong...at least I'm not working at McDonalds right?

Well, if you have a few highly successful companies that start paying $15+ an hour and employ a large percentage of America things start to change.

All I know is my "good" job still qualifies me for government assistance if so choose that route someday and is damn near $20k short of what the median average family of 4 should have to live on...changes can start with McDonalds man, we don't all have to be poor anymore.

I completely agree with your statement and freely admit that my family of 4 are currently on governmental assistance. I also have been using government funds for the past 3 years to obtain a degree that supposively will help me earn more income and have a better chance of getting a job. I have my doubts but had to do something because my 20 year military background wasn't getting me anywhere. I couldn't even get a call back after applying at jobs. You walk into a business to obtain an employment application and they tell you to go online to apply. Whatever happened to introducing yourself eye to eye and shaking hands to get a feel for a potential future employee. I guess I was out of the game too long serving my country and things changed quickly. Now I'm trying to play catchup and so far I am losing the battle.

• Like 1