IGNORED

Mega Man Legacy Collection (XB1, PS4, 3DS, PC)

Atariboy

Joining the just released Rare Replay, another classic compilation is on the way.

http://www.capcom-unity.com/brelston/blog/2015/08/05/mega-man-legacy-collection-release-date-revealed-2016-physical-versions-confirmed

While this has been known about since E3 (Although not discussed around here), note the bit about retail editions being planned for 2016. That we didn't know about when this was first revealed.

No Wii U edition though. :_(

Nice to see Capcom revisiting this franchise. Mega Man Anniversary Collection can't be played on many of today's modern consoles and had its share of flaws. And while this collection sadly is a bit more limited in coverage than that collection from a decade or more ago (If anything, it really should've been expanded to cover MM9 & 10), it's still a classic compilation. That fact alone helps make this special these days.

Hopefully these two collections are just the first of many coming projects for Code Mystics (Rare Replay) and the reborn Digital Eclipse studio (Mega Man Legacy Collection). Been far too little action in the classic compilation genre for too many years.

Edited by Atariboy

That is a cool feature. But the Mega Man Collection for PS2, Xbox, and Game Cube is better. You had the 6 original titles plus 7 and 8. An art gallery plus a bonus anime cartoon was unlocked. I remember they were planning on the Game Boy Advance release for the 5 games released but was never completed and discontinued the idea. I was disappointed and wanted to see the enhanced color graphics on all 5. A shame it isn't ported to the Wii U. I think the reason is to buy all the games on virtual console.

I would call this a "nice start". If this is all Capcom does with the classic MM games, then it will be rather disappointing.

But if Capcom expands their 8-bit-style offering with full color, full-screen remakes of the five Game Boy games, together with 8-bit demakes of Mega Man 7, Mega Man 8, and (dare I say it) Rockman & Forte, and round it off with re-releases of Mega Man 9 and Mega Man 10, then Capcom will clearly have a winning ticket to make money. But this is something Capcom would need to commit itself to for the next few years...

• Like 2

It's cool, but at the same time I'd rather get the Rockman Complete Works discs for my Japanese PS1. Better remixing of the music than in MMAC, and each disc had even more unlockable content/modes.

Some of these (Maybe Mega Man 1-4) are on the PSN store for download. Some of the stuff in the games are in English and a lot in Japanese like weapon names but the icons should help out.

Looks they are only a couple of bucks each right now on the store.....hmmmm tempting.

You know what would be pretty cool? Being able to purchase 8-bit Mega Man Robot Master levels individually, "à la carte", and then you could mix and match downloaded levels to make your own Mega Man game. For example, one could create a game that features the levels of Elec Man, Wood Man, Snake Man, Gravity Man, Ring Man, Tomahawk Man, Galaxy Man and Nitro Man. Once a Robot Master is defeated, you could take the acquired weapon into the other selected levels, completely seemlessly. The game's core engine would rearrange the weapon weaknesses to create a "proper order" to defeat your assembled group of Robot Masters, so part of the fun would be to discover what weapon is most effective against each Robot Master. Of course, if you pick Fire Man, Heat Man, Pharaoh Man, Flame Man, Turbo Man, Burner Man, Sword Man and Solar Man, then most of your acquired weapons would be useless against this particular group of Robot Masters. :P

Wily levels could also be bought individually. At 50 cents per level, you could buy yourself a complete Mega Man game (8 Robot Master levels and 8 Wily levels) for 8 bucks, and Capcom could offer special deals: If you buy all 8 Robot Master levels from Mega Man 2 in a single online purchase, you can buy all the Mega Man 2 Wily levels at half price at the same time.

Brand new Wily levels could also be downloaded, which are not found in any existing Mega Man game, or alternate levels could be offered for existing Robot Masters (like the levels from the Game Boy games, for example). Capcom could even run contests for new Robot Masters which would become downloadable, or ideas for new downloadable levels, or new level robots (including mid-level bosses).

The challenge would be to create a core engine that could make everything work together no matter which Robot Master levels and Wily levels are selected. This could imply modifying certain parts of certain levels. For example, if you include the first Wily level from Mega Man 1 into your game but don't include Guts Man (or any other Robot Master with a weapon resembling the Super Arm) then the large blocks (which are normally removed with the Super Arm) after the opening group of Big Eyes would need to be removed or changed for some other type of obstacle.

This would be one rare instance where downloadable content would actually be worth purchasing. :)

• Like 1

The problem with that if it were to be done, each level would cost between 2.99 to 5.99 depending on the level in question and no effort would be made to modify levels if you don't buy the levels with necessary powers. You could expect the support powers (like item-1, item-2, etc from MM2) to be completely separate purchases, and the bosses with weapons that destroy blocks to be the ones that cost 5.99+. And you could expect the brand new wily levels to require all of the special powers to get through and more besides.

In short, expect the ideal you're thinking of to be twisted so badly that you'll be paying 40-60 dollars just to scrape together enough to make a base game.

• Like 1

The problem with that if it were to be done, each level would cost between 2.99 to 5.99 depending on the level in question and no effort would be made to modify levels if you don't buy the levels with necessary powers. You could expect the support powers (like item-1, item-2, etc from MM2) to be completely separate purchases, and the bosses with weapons that destroy blocks to be the ones that cost 5.99+. And you could expect the brand new wily levels to require all of the special powers to get through and more besides.

In short, expect the ideal you're thinking of to be twisted so badly that you'll be paying 40-60 dollars just to scrape together enough to make a base game.

That sounds a bit pessimistic to me, given that the announced Legacy offerings will be sold digitally for 14.99$ each. It's not in Capcom's best interest to attempt to milk the downloadable content this way, because everyone can do the math and refrain from purchasing the content if it's deemed too expensive.

That sounds a bit pessimistic to me, given that the announced Legacy offerings will be sold digitally for 14.99$ each. It's not in Capcom's best interest to attempt to milk the downloadable content this way, because everyone can do the math and refrain from purchasing the content if it's deemed too expensive.

If I haven't seen companies milk DLC that way, despite what would seem to be their best interest, then I wouldn't be pessimistic about it. And if I didn't see people eagerly buy up 100-200 dollars of DLC on a game just to add in extra characters and alternate costumes for existing characters, etc, I'd be more confident about the majority being able to do the math. We've seen game companies run themselves into the ground over things that should have been a no-brainer from the get go so...

• Like 1

Nice idea from Pixelboy but Mord has a point....these days it would almost surely be overpriced ("milked"). I've only seen a handful of devs/publishers that are truly not out to rip your wallet apart. CD Projekt Red is one of them. I wish more were like them.

Witcher 3 insert:

witcher3insert.jpg

'

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Glad to see it can be scaled to vertically fill your screen. Seen multiple complaints that this option isn't there, from people that apparently didn't bother to check the options.

As for the random sound issue, what makes you say that the PS4 version especially suffers? The thread at NeoGaf made it sound like this was actually the least problematic of the three versions out now, although it still obviously suffers from it (Especially at startup, it appears).

And alas, while the the PS1 versions are all out in Japan and it's easy enough to purchase on the PS3, it's a real pain on the PSP and Vita since you're not allowed to have multiple PSN accounts going at once. In fact with the Vita, I believe you don't even have the option to swap memory cards and actually have to reset the system every time you want to move between your North American account and a Japanese account and vice versa.

Looking forward to this getting a retail release next year.

Edited by Atariboy

I received quite a number of people telling me the issue with the sound didn't occur with the Xbone version. so I hedged my bets and said it "especially" happens on PS4. That way is vague enough to maybe not apply to the Xbone version or not. Don't know. it's not a deal breaker, but it is something to point out.

It is true what you said about the Vita though. One PSN account per memory card. That's why everyone should have at least two, or a Vita TV as well as a Vita. It is a pain in the ass that Sony did it that way...but I think most people will want to play these on PS3 anyway, so I didn't elaborate for that reason.

It is a shame that the Rockman Complete Works still outclasses yet another western Megaman collection, but at least this time the results aren't as bad as they were with Anniversary Collection.

• Like 1

It is true what you said about the Vita though. One PSN account per memory card. That's why everyone should have at least two, or a Vita TV as well as a Vita. It is a pain in the ass that Sony did it that way

Not that it matters much, but it's worse than that, isn't it?

While I believe that's exactly how the PSP operates, I believe that the Vita actually has to be reset when changing between cards.

Either way, it's definitely a viable option for PS3 owners.

Edited by Atariboy

I've finally finished my exhaustive review of Mega Man Legacy Collection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAelRWDWAdw

I put a huge amount of effort into this, as....I'm kinda sorta passionate about Megaman.

Great review!! I have the Wii U. But do not own a PS4 and Xbox One. A total shame that Capcom didn't release it for the U.I have all the carts plus the Anniversary collection. But it would be great to own it for the Challenge games. Something they took from a page out of the NES Remix game. That's the only feature worth owning it for. Totally agree it is more of "Lazy" than Legacy.

As I said in the comments section of the video, it's very likely that the reason there's not going to be a WiiU version is the same reason there aren't WiiU versions of a great deal of games - the install base is too small to justify the development costs. I own a WiiU myself, so I share your frustrations that there are so few worthwhile games for it. I like the WiiU, but all it really gets are Nintendo first party games and ports of Ouya games like Elliot Quest, the Cave, the bridge, and so on. Aside from Mario Maker, there's very very little on the horizon that interests me at all on WiiU.

Do you have a PS3? Because PSN's Rockman Complete Works > Megaman Legacy Collection.

Although the legacy collection will eventually be coming to 3DS as well.

Hopefully Capcom at least arranges a 50% off sale for the classic NES Mega Man games on the Wii U Virtual Console one of these days.

Beyond these challenges and the extras, it's a comparable product other than the fact that it costs twice as much. The output is darker than it should thanks to Nintendo, but more than a worthy trade-off for the audio issues that this collection is currently suffering from.

Even has save states just like this collection does, thanks to it being a standard feature on the Wii U's Virtual Console outside of the DS offerings.

Edited by Atariboy

• 2 months later...