IGNORED

Mega Man Legacy Collection (XB1, PS4, 3DS, PC)

Atariboy

I do though, the Wii U was a fail and this system they did everything they could within their parameters to create a developer easy environment to use and that it can use all those modern tools the PS3/4+PC level systems games get made for. It's kind of inexcusable not to support it at this rate, especially a cheap port with little stake into it. I'd agree if we're talking about a new IP or an expensive to make even a port for IP the company rides their rep on. The Switch is unproven so far due to age alone, but the amount of sales it is racking up consistently to the pacing it appears it will topple the shitty WiiU sales in a years time I think should make developers feel a bit less nervous.

The 3DS not getting the MML2 one makes sense given the poor engine Digital Eclipse has created because it barely could hack MM5 with lag, and the games in that sequel package need more power to run, power the 3DS (not new3DS likely) lacks. The Disney Afternoon games though, no reason other than spite as they're just NES games.

• Like 1

I'll grant that emulation demands probably were a major hurdle for this one on the 3DS, and good reason to skip it over. I hadn't given that any thought as I typed that post.

But like you said, the Disney collection was all NES software and should've been here.

There's no reason Capcom won't be able to succeed with belated releases of these collections, and we might even get superior versions like the Mega Man Collection that we should've got on day 1 with all 10 games.

You're probably right, but it will probably be download-only on the Switch, no physical release.

Capcom after a heavy move towards digital, seems to have realized that many of their biggest fans are fond of physical media and that they were leaving money on the table by holding back all but their largest releases. A lot of smaller scale stuff like Resident Evil remasters that five years ago would've had no prayer of reaching store shelves in the west, are again making it to retail these days.

I'm surprised the Disney collection didn't make the cut (Especially in view of this latest release announcement that would seem to indicate that Mega Man Legacy Collection Vol. 1 must've did well enough at retail).

Edited by Atariboy

It feels a bit weird to me hearing that Capcom has a history of "betraying" Nintendo, because the freshest Capcom "betrayal" in my mind is pro-Nintendo: Capcom's Monster Hunter series rocketed the PSP to the top of the sales charts in Japan, but when it came time to go to the next generation, the company moved the series to the 3DS instead of the PSV. Despite a Capcom representative showing a demo Monster Hunter running on a pre-production PSV onstage during a Sony preview event, describing the game as feeling great with the system's twin-stick controls, none of the main Monster Hunter games ever went to the PSV. Only the less popular MMORPG edition of the series got a PSV port, and that was long after every other port of the game. Given Monster Hunter's massive PSP player base in Japan and the twin sticks of the PSV (especially in light of the 3DS' Circle Pad Pro accessory having to have been released basically just for Monster Hunter players), I don't think it's a stretch to say that PSV hardware would have sold millions better in Japan had Capcom not isolated their lucrative series to the 3DS.

3DS I can understand as I imagine perhaps New3DS aside it can't hack running Mega Man 8 which is a PS/Saturn title.

I'll grant that emulation demands probably were a major hurdle for this one on the 3DS, and good reason to skip it over.

I'm not so sure about that. The 3DS is at least a match for horsepower with the PSP, no? And the PSP had a quite capable PS1 emulator. We don't even know if the anthology runs an emulation of the game or a port of it (with MM9 and MM10, I'd say they've most likely been ported, since they were multi-platform to begin with).

onmode-ky

The 3DS *New 3DS* that is, it's a roughly speaking on par with the Wii. But comparing it straight to the PSP, I don't know, vastly different chipsets and the PSP was capable of mirroring PS2 quality fairly well.

I guess if you're coming off Monster Hunter Capcom being a rat would seem weird or shocking.

With the N64 they promised support, then ran off until 1999 when they ported over RE2 and Mega Man Legends and little else was it. Around those times they were apologetic and trying to psyche Nintendo fans into buying their best PS1 franchise duo there, promised if the stuff sold very well they'd back the known Gamecube by that rate. When the GC rolled around and for the first 2-3 years it sold very well, they racked up some RE remasters from the Dreamcast and fans were giddy along with SNK vs Capcom 2 EO. Then they promised the Capcom 5 contract deal which was RE4, PN03, and 3 other titles. PN03 came out and did alright. RE4 then got a HUGE pissing fury of hatred from Sony fanboys and with them threatening to abandon Capcom and all the usual drama, 2 weeks before the GC RE4 dropped they knifed Nintendo in the back ruining the formerly promised exclusivity telling Sony fans NOT to buy it, but wait a year, and they'd have the definitive version with added Ada Wong and some other minor stuff. Then they went quiet, barely talked much, then shitcanned their Capcom 5 which infuriated GC owners and ran back to the Sony system with Maximo (aka 3D ghosts n goblins) and other goodies. When Wii rolled around, yet again they made those promises of buy our shit and we'll support you. So they did a definitive RE4 Wii editon, Zack and Wiki, the Monster Hunter 3 series of titles, and a little more which again did profitably nice...and then they pulled the rug out again other than Tatsunoko vs Capcom and went quiet. WiiU they blew off, can't blame them.

Now it's a mirroring of the bullshit again. Talk up the system, promise some nice stuff, put out something cool (USSF2), and then start pick the deaf routine while picking winners and losers with their releases. There's good reason for Nintendo owners to get bitter, pissed off, and lovingly call them Crapcom because they're full of it.

I felt like they did pretty good on the Wii. Okami, lots of new or remastered Resident Evils, Virtual Console support, and Mega Man 9/10 which were the pinnacle of their early digital efforts were among the highlights.

About all that I felt was really missing from the 360/PS3 that belonged here was Bionic Commando Rearmed. And Nintendo shot themselves in the foot with that one and were just as much to blame as Capcom, after refusing the NES original for the Virtual Console since they felt like it would promote the remake on the competition.

Sure, I'd argue that Capcom should've had a simultaneous Wii release planned from day 1 for Rearmed. But by Nintendo being overly heavy handed, it not only insured that the popular NES original wouldn't appear on the VC, but it also sealed the deal on Bionic Commando Rearmed ever appearing on the Wii since I'm sure Capcom had no intentions of ever porting it afterwards.

Edited by Atariboy

Ultimately not sure if I want this on the PS4 or not. (Won't be getting it on PC, and since I'm not touching the Xbone won't be getting it there either!)

I won't be preordering (Been almost a decade since I last did.) but if the local gamestop/walmart/whatever get retail copies in I'll balance cost/desire and make the choice then. If a Switch or 3DS edition materializes before that though, it'll be a preference.

Sure, I'd argue that Capcom should've had a simultaneous Wii release planned from day 1 for Rearmed. But by Nintendo being overly heavy handed, it not only insured that the popular NES original wouldn't appear on the VC, but it also sealed the deal on Bionic Commando Rearmed ever appearing on the Wii since I'm sure Capcom had no intentions of ever porting it afterwards.

I'd argue they're both entirely to blame, actually probably Capcom a bit more. They had already announced the rearmed game for the competition plus steam, but not Nintendo, then asked them to host on Wii their NES game. Nintendo took the butthurt angle and told them to go to hell, and then they lost having it, if it was even intended in the first place. I wouldn't be too keen on being ignored, then asked to be used as a marketing scheme to peddle a new game on an old long dead NES/GB franchise. I agree with you though, just saying, I get the motivation.

• 1 month later...

Sounds like Capcom has decided that the Switch isn't going to be a failure, with multiple projects planned.

https://twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/890919984301449216?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nintendolife.com%2Fnews%2F2017%2F07%2Fcapcom_reportedly_gearing_up_for_multiple_nintendo_switch_titles

Hopefully these classic compilations are part of the gameplan.

So we should be hopeful?

Given their capability to do one thing and say another I'm hesitant, but on the flip side of things they're one of those studios that do like to do physical releases of stuff people don't think will happen on occasion -MML1 and Duck Tales Remastered come to mind. I'd be willing to still support them if MML2 and Disney popped up, but more so curious what they have in mind. USF2 shows there's an interest if they moved almost a 1/2M units in a quarter(a quarter that wasn't on the market the entire 90 days either no less.)

Perhaps we should also be proud of some Switch owners not being the typical Nintendard loser douche who only buys first party yet whines they never get 3rd party stuff and won't step up and do as they say(whine) for once in their lives. That's a huge problem why Nintendo doesn't get stuff, crap talking idiots who get nasty or whine about not getting stuff and when it does appear it sells like garbage so the companies walk.

Whatever Capcom has cooking, people better damn well buy it or they'll roll again as they've always been fickle with Nintendo since the N64 era.

Speculation though what could it be anyway? SF5 is completely out as Sony bankrolled a good bit of it. RE remasters again like on Cube? The retro MM/Disney is likely a given though.

They need to do more than just Mega Man Legacy Collection 2. Catch Switch fans up with the full Mega Man Legacy Collection of all 10 games.

Heck, it even gives them an excuse to tack on a Switch tax. I think most fans would happily pay $10 more than MMLC2 on the XB1/PS4 for the full deal.

Edited by Atariboy

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Capcom made a boo boo with Mega Man Legacy Collection 2 on the PS4. This is from Mega Man 7.

DGuSGQhXcAA8jeD.jpg

I wonder if Nintendo notices this if they'll laugh it off assuming it's patched, much like when NASCAR officials don't penalize a driver that changes teams during the off season and mistakenly pulls into his old team's pit stall his first race back. Or if they'll see dollar signs and file a lawsuit.

Edited by Atariboy

I came close to picking this up for the PS4 but when I think about it, MM7 is the only game I don't have access to currently in one shape or form. So I think I'll just let it sit for a while and either catch it digitally during a sale or if I see it cheap at gamestop later on.

If they did do a 1-10 compilation for the switch though I'd probably scoop that up.

Are you going to try for a Super Nintendo Classic Edition when it launches? As I recall, it includes Mega Man 7.

Edit: Actually, now that I've had a whole 5 seconds to think it over, I think it's Mega Man X.

Edited by Atariboy

If I see a SNES Classic in stores and have the money available at the time, yeah I'll likely pick one up. I don't need it for mega man games (Got MMX on cart) but there are several games on it I'd like to have. Can't say I want it badly enough to preorder though. If I get it, I get it. If not, oh well.

I picked up the Legacy Collection 2. Got it for like $15 with Amazon Prime discount.

Not bad for the price... but I'm realizing now I'm not really into Mega Man 7. I enjoy the rest. Game feels good overall, but I'm not the best at testing input lag or seeing all the differences. Going to sit next to the original Legacy Collection for now. I'll probably go ahead and sell my Rockman 7 though.

• 6 months later...

Looks like Capcom might be splitting up their upcoming Mega Man X Collection into two halves. The Australian ratings board has ratings up for a Mega Man X Legacy Collection and a Mega Man X Legacy Collection 2.

Not at all a fan of splitting this up, so I'm probably just going to pass. I'm very happy with the original collection for the GameCube and don't believe I missed out on anything by never playing Mega Man X7, so I'll probably just buy Mega Man X8 on the PS2 instead.

Tough to see a collection of the last four X games being a strong seller, so I bet it won't even get a physical release.

Edited by Atariboy

At least it looks like Capcom is doing it the right way on the Switch for the original Mega Man series. The ESRB has reviewed a Mega Man Legacy Collection 1 & 2 release with all 10 games for the Nintendo Switch.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/964154251491491840/photo/1

Hopefully we get this one on a cartridge.

Edited by Atariboy

Looks like Capcom might be splitting up their upcoming Mega Man X Collection into two halves. The Australian ratings board has ratings up for a Mega Man X Legacy Collection and a Mega Man X Legacy Collection 2.

Not at all a fan of splitting this up, so I'm probably just going to pass. I'm very happy with the original collection for the GameCube and don't believe I missed out on anything by never playing Mega Man X7, so I'll probably just buy Mega Man X8 on the PS2 instead.

Tough to see a collection of the last four X games being a strong seller, so I bet it won't even get a physical release.

...How would they even split them up though?

I mean you can't do straight down the middle. That would leave X1 thru X4 (the best ones) on the first collection and make the second one nearly pointless. (X5 and X6 okay. X7 and X8 not really)

If you do X1 thru X6 on the first collection, that's even worse! You'd be leaving X7 and X8 by themselves. I'm hoping the X collection might have a few extra titles to help balance the collections because I'm not sure where they'll draw the line.

At least it looks like Capcom is doing it the right way on the Switch for the original Mega Man series. The ESRB has reviewed a Mega Man Legacy Collection 1 & 2 release with all 10 games for the Nintendo Switch.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/964154251491491840/photo/1

Hopefully we get this one on a cartridge.

I already own and don't play the first two collections, but I'd be cool supporting again for both on a single cart.~ (IE how it should have been on discs. lol)

• Like 2

I'm sure they got it covered. They'll just put all the odd ones on the first compilation, and all the evens on the second! I have the GC version for MMX1-6 already so I highly doubt I'll be swayed to get either of the MMX compilations if they're indeed going to split it up into two halves to double their profit. I sold X7 for a reason back in the day, and what I saw of X8 didn't instill me with any confidence.

If they do have an all-for-one edition for the Mega Man Compilation on the Switch, I'll probably pick that up. Price pending I'm not sure if I'd be willing to get it digitally or insist on a disc. The smaller games like that I seem to prefer having instant access to, but I suppose we'll see.