IGNORED

Pong C-100- dead or repairable?

HoshiChiri

Hello! I'm hoping some of the fine folks here can help me out- I recently acquired an Atari Pong console (C-100 model). It was dirty and untested, and not surprisingly, doesn't work. I get no sound and no playfield, just some colored bars. I have it hooked up via batteries (brand new) and a coaxial/f-plug adapter running through a a/b manual coaxial switcher. You can see it on the right side in the photo.

post-43266-0-18596300-1438918731_thumb.jpg

Now, the video cable is definitely damaged- the rubber is stripped away in places, exposing a metal wire mesh that is broken in 1 place. Would this possibly be the only problem, or is the lack of any sounds/paddles/anything a sign that this one's just too far gone?

post-43266-0-65991400-1438918765_thumb.jpg

Please keep in mind that I'm a fairly new entrant to the vintage collecting world, and I've never actually repaired a system before... thoughts on people I could go to in person for repairs and info would be appreciated! (I'm in the Puget Sound area.)

Your RF cable is damaged and likely shorted. Do you have a multimeter to check continuity? This will involve taking the console apart which will require a special screwdriver. Some Pongs use square headed screws and some use Holt tri-head screws. More info about the Tri-head and a home brew tool solution can be found in the following thread: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/208849-holt-security-screw-removal-sears-pong-sega-ea-carts/page-1?do=findComment&comment=2696026

Keep us posted on your progress, it can be revived!

If you want to ship it, I can get her working for a reasonable price. Send me a PM if interested.

Your RF cable is damaged and likely shorted. Do you have a multimeter to check continuity? This will involve taking the console apart which will require a special screwdriver. Some Pongs use square headed screws and some use Holt tri-head screws. More info about the Tri-head and a home brew tool solution can be found in the following thread: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/208849-holt-security-screw-removal-sears-pong-sega-ea-carts/page-1?do=findComment&comment=2696026

Keep us posted on your progress, it can be revived!

If you want to ship it, I can get her working for a reasonable price. Send me a PM if interested.

I personally don't have a multimeter, but my dad and fiancé both work in electrical for an aerospace company, so I can get ahold of one. The unit does have the Holt Tri-head screws, which is the only reason I haven't had one of them open it up already (can't find the right tool anywhere- although I'll find out if they have any of those wire nuts to jury-rig one.)

Right now it's been put aside for a bit while we finish prepping for PAX Prime... after that you may hear from me :)