IGNORED

Insert Activision cart and "Pop" goes the weasel!

Andromeda Stardust

Well I had my 7800 set up on my mom's CRT. The 2600 was in my bedroom but I had a couple carts from my recent visit to Game-X-Change I was dying to try out.

Insert Activision's Spider Fighter and all I get was vertical bars. I yank it back out to "blow" it, reseat the cartridge and push it down. It scoots back up on it's own power about a quarter inch or so like it's posessed, so I push it back down and hear a very large "pop" noise. I think "oh sh**, I must have broke something," but I hit power button and am rewarded with playing this surprisingly enjoyable game.

Later on I take the cartridge out and notice a millimeter wide split in one corner the plastic boot surrounding the cart loader. The Activision carts seemingly have hard square edges that don't take to kindly to the rounder molded corners of the 7800 boot. The loud pop I head was the release of tension as one of the corners on the boot split open.

I guess I can't complain too much. Those squarish third party 2600 carts slide in effortless now; she even takes the Xonox "double ender" like a pro. And that's how Maria lost her virginity... :rolling:

Check your 7800s. Anyone else have a split or cracked 7800 cartridge boot? :P

Edited by stardust4ever
  • Like 3

Most people actually cut or crack them on purpose as some 3rd party carts like Activision and Imagic don't fit right.

I hear this a lot but it must be a thing that applies to some variants and not others - my early "AT-84" unit fits every cartridge just fine, including Activision and Imagic carts, way better than my Light Sixer, for instance, which scratched the sh!t out of my Riddle of the Sphinx cart the day I got it. :( Fits fine in the 7800 however, no spits or cracks required. *shrug*

• Like 1

Most people actually cut or crack them on purpose as some 3rd party carts like Activision and Imagic don't fit right.

I've definitely read of people modding the boots intentionally or completely removing them, but mine happened by accident and I'm pleasantly surprized with the results. It's no longer a daily struggle to insert carts. That 1mm of strain relief was all it took...

Edited by stardust4ever

Hahaha, that was a pretty funny story stardust! Talk about tearing the ass out... :lol:

If all I had was a 7800 to play 2600 games on (and no harmony cartridge), I could see going through the trouble of purposely modding the cart boot - but most of us have multiple systems these days. And then there's Harmony to the rescue once again!

Hahaha, that was a pretty funny story stardust! Talk about tearing the ass out... :lol:

If all I had was a 7800 to play 2600 games on (and no harmony cartridge), I could see going through the trouble of purposely modding the cart boot - but most of us have multiple systems these days. And then there's Harmony to the rescue once again!

Torn ass, LOL! :rolling:

Maybe the cart connector's beveled edge was some lame attempt at DRM or just plain Atari oversight.

I normally use my VCS to play 2600 games, but the 7800 was all set up. Games look crisp on the Best AV mod as well. I have a sizable collection of Activision and other 3rd party Atari games, but I think this was my first time attempting to cram in an Activision cart specifically on the 7800. I've mainly played Harmony and AA homebrew on it...

Edited by stardust4ever

Shove an imagic in there..she'll never be the same.

Tried Atlantis. No cigar. It half went in sideways, but she was screaming in agony. I think I'm just going to end the sodomy to protect what little virginity my7800 has left... :yawn:

Wasn't Curt selling replacement boots for the 7800? He got any of those left? One of the tabs broke off like a year ago, first time I tried to insert a cartridge. If the other tab breaks, I won't be able to play 1st party 2600 games either...

Edit: Ordered. My little Maria is getting a new V*****! :love:

http://www.syzygycompany.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=63&product_id=52

Edited by stardust4ever

I broke the guide pins and one small corner trying to play an Imagic, and I think it was Atlantis actually.

It still worked ok but I couldn't stand the thought of my 7800 being imperfect (!) so I ordered a replacement from Curt/Syzygy. It took a while to come, and in the end I had to kick them a bit to remind them to fill my order, but I did get it. Fairly easy to install and works fine.

But I don't put any weird/wide body carts in there anymore. Imagic or otherwise. Which is fine by me because my 7800 gets played largely for 7800 games only anyway.

Is there a how to somewhere on installing this? I want to order but but want to see what it requires before doing so. My carts are starting to act up. Phoenix won't start yet it displays the splash screen,same with Megamania,they both won't start yet they display. Also some of my 7800 carts having abit of a very tight feel now. I've cleaned the area with abit of alcohol with a cotton swab so don't think its dirt causing the problem. I ordered this from http://electronicsentimentalities.com/where they bought the console from Ebay, and cleaned it up before adding the AV mod,so again I don't think its dirt and dust causing issues,it looks very clean. I've just accepted the fact that this console is 30 years old and the cartridge port on all my 7800's have been a pain sometimes to insert some of the games. The 7800's cartridge port needs this mod soon me thinks. Again,is there a how to somewhere on the net about installing this mod? Thanks.

Edited by PhoenixMoonPatrol

Well I had my 7800 set up on my mom's CRT. The 2600 was in my bedroom but I had a couple carts from my recent visit to Game-X-Change I was dying to try out.

Insert Activision's Spider Fighter and all I get was vertical bars. I yank it back out to "blow" it, reseat the cartridge and push it down. It scoots back up on it's own power about a quarter inch or so like it's posessed, so I push it back down and hear a very large "pop" noise. I think "oh sh**, I must have broke something," but I hit power button and am rewarded with playing this surprisingly enjoyable game.

Later on I take the cartridge out and notice a millimeter wide split in one corner the plastic boot surrounding the cart loader. The Activision carts seemingly have hard square edges that don't take to kindly to the rounder molded corners of the 7800 boot. The loud pop I head was the release of tension as one of the corners on the boot split open.

I guess I can't complain too much. Those squarish third party 2600 carts slide in effortless now; she even takes the Xonox "double ender" like a pro. And that's how Maria lost her virginity... :rolling:

Check your 7800s. Anyone else have a split or cracked 7800 cartridge boot? :P

post-32978-0-40368500-1439026674.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I could never figure Atari out!? How could they screw up something they previously perfected? Games cartridges install effortlessly and perfectly in the 2600 and the VCS cartridge adapter, for the 5200 - but the 7800 "Pro System" - forget it!

I purchased a 7800 cartridge guide from the Syzygy Company site, for around $5. The guide is a definite improvement over the original. Unfortunately, Imagic and most Activision games still fail to insert easily, if at all.

I could never figure Atari out!? How could they screw up something they previously perfected? Games cartridges install effortlessly and perfectly in the 2600 and the VCS cartridge adapter, for the 5200 - but the 7800 "Pro System" - forget it!

I purchased a 7800 cartridge guide from the Syzygy Company site, for around $5. The guide is a definite improvement over the original. Unfortunately, Imagic and most Activision games still fail to insert easily, if at all.

So this is a lie then?

The all new Syzygy Cartridge guide. Will accept all Atari 2600 and Atari 7800 game cartridges.

Pity if I have to dremel out my new replacement. :ponder: Edited by stardust4ever

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody had any luck ordering from syzygy lately? Site is clearly messed up right now. I ordered early in August and never recieved my cartridge boot. I can't log in, and I attempted to send a support email and it returned undeliverable.

http://www.syzygycompany.com/store/

What do you guys recommend? My 7800 is operating fine (and since it "cracked" can also load Activision carts too) as long as the second cartridge tab doesn't break off. I'd still like to fix it at some point.

Edited by stardust4ever

• 2 weeks later...

I hear this a lot but it must be a thing that applies to some variants and not others - my early "AT-84" unit fits every cartridge just fine, including Activision and Imagic carts, way better than my Light Sixer, for instance, which scratched the sh!t out of my Riddle of the Sphinx cart the day I got it. :( Fits fine in the 7800 however, no spits or cracks required. *shrug*

This is exactly right. The earlier ones fit the carts better. I had one that didn't fit them (didn't realize I could have cracked it, but I wouldn't have wanted to do that anyway), and sold it to purposefully look for an early one with an extension port. Got it, and it fits everything perfectly.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking for a 7800 boot after ruining mine doing a mod to make her accept larger loads ;)

If anyone has a spare - please let me know, or knows where to buy one new!

Now, carts go in, but when pulling them out it lifts the PCB as well :(

Me too. Mine is cracked but still functional. I'm still pissed that Syzygy took my money and didn't deliver the cart guide I ordered like a-month-and-a-half ago. I believe it may be possible to cut the rounded corners off and leave the rest of the guide intact allowing for squarish 3rd party carts to fit. My cart guide also has one of the tabs chipped off ever since the day I first used my 7800 in 2014 (it was new old stock from Best). If the second tab breaks, I won't be able to insert first generation Atari carts with the dust flaps. That also means no Harmony or AA 2600 homebrew either... :_(