IGNORED

Wanted: Feedback For F-18 Hornet & Pete Rose Baseball

nosweargamer

Thanks again for all the comments to my previous posts. I try to include all the comments that are posted by the time I record. I think they really help make the podcast better!

I'm looking for feedback for the next episode of the Atari 7800 Game By Game Podcast (you can find it on iTunes, Stitcher, YouTube or use this feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/78gbg )

What are your memories and/or thoughts on F-18 Hornet & Pete Rose Baseball on the 7800?

Also, how would you rate them? I use a system of 4 choices (From Best to Worst):

Hall of Fame Game (Top 5 game on the system)

Solid Game

"Meh" Game

Trash Game (Bottom 5 game on the system)

These games will be covered on Episode 16.

You can also e-mail text or audio to atari7800podcast@aol.com (I will be drawing from those who send in feedback to this e-mail to select a winner of an Edladdin Seagull 78 adapter soon! US only. Audio submissions count as 2 entries!)

Just keep it family friendly :)

You can also send feedback on previously covered games or the system itself. Thanks!

Edited by nosweargamer

F-18 Hornet: "Meh Game" The graphics and animation are amazing in this game and especially for 1988. The negatives are you can only use missles to fire and not use bombs. You have to use the switches on the console for landing. It is a pretty confusing game. If it wasn't so complexing it has the makings of a very solid game.

Pete Rose Baseball: "Meh Game" It is actually the best baseball game on the system and second behind "One on One Basketball". Another game where the physics outweigh the details. The graphics are great, animation great. The cons. Players look like mummies and the fielding is difficult plus it's a chore to move the desired player. If it wasn't for this flaw it would be a solid game as well.

F-18 Hornet – The box cover is very nice, and this feels like another computer port to the 7800, although searching online it seems this was a original game for the console. It's amazing how many flight sims were made for this system. The game is ambitious for what it tries to do – having the switches to land the plane is both ingenious and frustrating rolled into one. Also, why you do only have missiles to fire and no cannon? Between these two factors, it seems like Absolute wasn't sure if they wanted to have a more arcade-like game or a flight sim game. Instead it seems they tried to balance and came up short on both ends. Controls overall were difficult. On the plus side, for the 7800, graphics on this game are great and this animation is amazing considering you actually fly into the background. I also like the wide range of missions and that you can pick your mission, and the control panel is realistic looking without overwhelming you. Sounds is grating, though, and I quickly turned it off. Finally, I found it quite hard to hit anything with your missiles Overall, I want to like this game and it was a good effort but it just falls short, feeling neither like a sim or a arcade game. I'd rather play either Tom Gun or it's sequel on the NES if I feel like a 8-bit dogfighting game. Rating: meh

Pete Rose Baseball – I was really hoping this would not be another crappy sports game for the 7800 like the last couple I'd played. Again, I really like the cover, it has a very 'baseball' and 70'ish feel to it. As is unfortunately the case on the 7800 I found the sound grating and annoying. The graphics are really good, though, with the 'behind the pitcher' view that is used in a lot of modern baseball games. Both of these combined really work to give it the look of a modern sports game. The game is REALLY slow, though, probably the slowest baseball game I've played. Baseball is already slow enough without the slow pace the hit balls and your players move! Also I found the controls complicated and the players hard to control precisely I think the 2600 version of this game is better, cause it was able to do more with the hardware that it was on and was a overall more enjoyable baseball game. I think this game is the best baseball game on the 7800, but that's a low bar. I'm sorry, I have to conclude once again that I'd rather play a equivalent title on the NES from this time period then this game. Rating: meh

• 2 weeks later...