IGNORED

High Score Competition (April: Starfort)

arcadeshopper

Ok so this month's game is MAJOR TOM which is a port of the space station part of Major Havoc a color vector graphics arcade game from Atari

MAJORT2.gif

to quote the gameshelf:

This is a beautifully executed space romp where you have to defuse the reactor of a planetary base before it blows up. Problem is that there are many deadly obstacles to overcome as you roam the twisted labyrinthine corridors of the station as well as making sure you replenish your oxygen supply as you go along. The graphics are superb and the low gravity environment is very well rendered, although I found the difficulty level to be quite steep... Very intertaining!
Requirements: Editor/Assembler cartridge, 32K RAM, disk drive, joysticks.
Executable to run: EA option 3: File Name=MAJOR-TOM Program Name=LOTS

requires EA3 loader and the files on DSK1

http://www.tigameshelf.net/Files/Emu/Major.dsk

also tifiles

http://www.tigameshelf.net/Files/Majorarc.bin

works on classic99 and real hardware, other stuff YMMV let us know

Winner gets a item of their choice from my store with a value less than $50 .. there that opens it up a bit

Greg

Edited by arcadeshopper

Wow, I couldn't get through more than two playthroughs, and I never sniffed the first reactor. This game is either really tough, or I just don't understand what I'm supposed to be doing.

I will continue to try, but it is proving to be a tough nut to crack! There are no docs on disk... The fire button, is that some sort of shield?

It's tricky. :) But yeah, find the reactor, touch it, and get back out. You can jump infinitely (a little different from the arcade), and you get one shield per life - once you're hit (with the button pressed) that consumes the shield. I've never gotten past the second base myself. ;)

It's tricky. :) But yeah, find the reactor, touch it, and get back out. You can jump infinitely (a little different from the arcade), and you get one shield per life - once you're hit (with the button pressed) that consumes the shield. I've never gotten past the second base myself. ;)

also you can hit A to turn your shield on until you hit something then you have to turn it back on again or its spent if what you hit is an enemy or laser fire etc

• Like 1