IGNORED

High Score Competition (April: Starfort)

arcadeshopper

Guys - I hit the highest score I believe. 32525.

After I hit 32525, my next score revealed a bug.
The score display exhibited a glitch and shift behaviour and from that moment on my score counted down instead of up. I thought maybe this was exploit protection so i advanced to the next level but my score continued to count backwards.

I was lucky enough to be recording it with my webcam. Unlucky I have slow internet because it's going to take about 40 minutes to upload to the cloud share service MEGA.

Once the upload is complete, I will share it so you can see my diabolical plan to win this month no matter what. It was going to come down to who wanted the Navarone more than I. And I was determined to play this everyday for the rest of the month until I filled all the digits with 9s or as close to them as I could get or whatever score I got to by the end of the month. Simply never turning the console off.

Well, you'll get to see my excitement over this plan and watch my utter disappointment when I discovered my score was getting smaller. The bugged out glitch happens at 2:44 in the video that is almost 15 minutes long.

Below I am posting a screenshot of my current high score, below that is a screenshot of the bugged out glitch in action, below that is the result of the bug and finally my next score which is 32511 or more accurately
0 32511.

I guess someone still has to tie me? Or what?

*SIGH*

Before BUG:

post-47352-0-98834300-1517950075.png

During GLITCH:

post-47352-0-97819000-1517950151_thumb.png

The RESULT:

post-47352-0-00833200-1517950190.png

Counting Down:

post-47352-0-45759400-1517950479_thumb.png

This is why you want me on your beta test team.

And why I'm sad right now....

:sad:

Edited by Sinphaltimus
  • Like 1

One anecdote to this.

My mom (78 yrs.) is not really a computer freak, but she has one passion: Freecell (says it keeps her mind awake). She's playing it day after day, several boards in one go, for many years by now. In the meantime I already replaced her Windows XP by a Linux and let Freecell run by Wine.

Well, she once complained that her "statistics" had "gone". Some time before, she had proudly told be she had won more than 30000 boards. I restored a backup and saw that it was about 31000. She was sad as she saw that the counters had reset to 0, and they seemed to refuse counting at all since then.

I found the counters in the Windows registry. All of them are 32 bit values (4 bytes); you can easily set them. So I tried to set them to 00007FFF and let her play another round. And again, the score was reset.

Obviously, the authors of Freecell used signed short integers (which are stored as int within the registry), and my mom produced an overflow.

I'm still thinking about filing a bug report, but I'm not quite sure about how to formulate the error description... :-D

• Like 1

One anecdote to this.

My mom (78 yrs.) is not really a computer freak, but she has one passion: Freecell (says it keeps her mind awake). She's playing it day after day, several boards in one go, for many years by now. In the meantime I already replaced her Windows XP by a Linux and let Freecell run by Wine.

Well, she once complained that her "statistics" had "gone". Some time before, she had proudly told be she had won more than 30000 boards. I restored a backup and saw that it was about 31000. She was sad as she saw that the counters had reset to 0, and they seemed to refuse counting at all since then.

I found the counters in the Windows registry. All of them are 32 bit values (4 bytes); you can easily set them. So I tried to set them to 00007FFF and let her play another round. And again, the score was reset.

Obviously, the authors of Freecell used signed short integers (which are stored as int within the registry), and my mom produced an overflow.

I'm still thinking about filing a bug report, but I'm not quite sure about how to formulate the error description... :-D

No bug report needed! Just like an arcade enthusiast, she rolled the machine and can now brag that she owned Freecell! :)

• Like 5

You broke the game! :D

Yeah I think there is an overflow issue here. TurboForth defaults to 16bit variables, although there is a 32bit library available, which I did not use because it was more cumbersome to use and I honestly did not think it would be needed... Serves me right...

I'm going to consult with Mark Wills on how to set up the 32bit library and see if I can come up with a patch but it will likely take some time as I am on service this week then out of the country for the following one.

Alternatively, I can pick another game (I'm thinking of Ambulance). Sinphaltimus will get the Navarone Widget given how dogged he has been with JetPac and I will provide another prize, namely the Oscar barcode scanner in box as an alternative.

It has been a messy contest this month to say the least :woozy:

• Like 2

Sinphaltimus will get the Navarone Widget given how dogged he has been with JetPac ... :woozy:

Vorticon, I rarely get excited about a Game competition prize. I participate because it's fun. But when you mentioned the Navarone, I nearly jumped from my seat. The Navarone is going to help me a great deal with my 4 port cart switcher. I'm going to use it as a template to measure everything and try to create a PCB from it that I can modify for my own project. I know what they go for on eBay hence why I don't yet have one. Some people might think the FinalGrom99 killed the Navarone. I don't. As a matter of fact, I know there are a very small handful of carts out there that do not work with FG99. And at least one in our near future with Dragon's Lair. And shift838 used a variant of the design to do a 2 port switcher for his "TI in an atx Tower" mod. Unfinished projects leave a thorn in my side. It may take me a while when I get discouraged but it's only a matter of time before I revisit them. This Navarone is going to bring that project off the back-burner. Thank you so much. I don't mean to break things. But it's now apparent that's what I do. I break things. LOL :) I promise not to break the navarone. I will care for it like the treasure it is to me. :love:

Remember me when you need beta testers.

Edited by Sinphaltimus
  • Like 1

I just glanced at my console and noticed the RED LED is illuminated - turned on my screen and the game is still running! LOL! So in theory, yes I could continue. Maybe I will just to see what happens when it reaches 0. I may not be done with this just yet. FOR SCIENCE!

EDIT - Nope, got down to 26000 something and died when the furries changed patterns on me.

Edited by Sinphaltimus

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the long hiatus. I just got back in town. As was quite obvious, this month's competition was quite messy, but we still learned something. I'm going to try to fix the Jetpac score overrun and end the drops when the rocket is fully fueled. Thanks for Sinphaltimus' doggedness in rooting these issues out! He's definitely on my list of testers for my next game :D

On that note, I'm going to let him pick out the game for the March competition.

• Like 1

Sorry for the long hiatus. I just got back in town. As was quite obvious, this month's competition was quite messy, but we still learned something. I'm going to try to fix the Jetpac score overrun and end the drops when the rocket is fully fueled. Thanks for Sinphaltimus' doggedness in rooting these issues out! He's definitely on my list of testers for my next game :D

would it be feasible to release a 'patched' version of Jetpac with these fixes?

Keep in mind that we do not have to fill the fuel to stay on the level and play forever collecting drops.

Also, I think for March, I would like to go with Atarisoft's Jungle Hunt on Novice difficulty.

It can be found in the FinalGrom99 zip file here under GAMES - ftp://ftp.whtech.com/Cartridges/FinalGROM99/FinalGROM99.zip

I'm not sure which one to use in classic99 since one ends in C and the other in D but with a FG99 only one name shows up in the menu.

I was able to select the C version and the D version testing with classic99 so maybe it doesn't matter?

post-47352-0-24994700-1519133876_thumb.png

• Like 3

OK here's the patched source. Before I ask Mark to convert it to a cart image, could you guys give it a test run?

The scoring bug has been fixed and now the score can go up to 65535, which should be more than enough because I also limited the number of bonus drops to 4 per level. The drops also stop if the rocket is fully fueled.

To run the game, just copy and paste the source code below into TurboForth in Classic99 then type jetpac.

If no further issues are noted, perhaps we can continue with Jetpac for the remainder of this month since we still have 10 days to go and I will have a boxed Oscar bar scanner as a prize. Sinphaltimus still gets the Navarone widget for his high score on the unpatched Jetpac version.

What do you guys think?

We'll go with Jungle Hunt in March.

Jetpac.txt

• Like 3

Keep in mind that we do not have to fill the fuel to stay on the level and play forever collecting drops.

Also, I think for March, I would like to go with Atarisoft's Jungle Hunt on Novice difficulty.

It can be found in the FinalGrom99 zip file here under GAMES - ftp://ftp.whtech.com/Cartridges/FinalGROM99/FinalGROM99.zip

I'm not sure which one to use in classic99 since one ends in C and the other in D but with a FG99 only one name shows up in the menu.

I was able to select the C version and the D version testing with classic99 so maybe it doesn't matter?

Both files get loaded... C and D indicate the two ROM banks of a 16-k bank-switched cartridge. That's the original V9T9 syntax used for Extended BASIC and Atarisoft carts. We didn't start combining the files until the 379-based Guidry carts came around. :)

In Classic99 selecting any file with Cartridge->User->Open initiates an automatic search for other associated files. So select either one and they'll both be found.

• Like 1

Here's the DSK version of Jetpac 1.2 . Mark is helping me out with the cart creation as it is not a straightforward process given that it has to incorporate both TurboForth and the game code.

Make sure the dsk image is selected as DSK1. It should autorun. Should also run on real hardware with the TF cart.

Jetpac.dsk

• Like 5