IGNORED

High Score Competition (April: Starfort)

arcadeshopper

Alright. If you insist. :)

This game plays great, looks great, and sounds great on the TI... I cannot get it to play right in emulation for some reason... The sounds are off, timing feels wrong somehow. I cannot explain it. Might be my crappy PC with weak RAM...

20170402_143046-01_zpsvuqhgiru.jpeg

You're a farmer... protecting your Henhouse from egg burglars and foxes... you wake up and start your day shooting target practice on high flying birds...

It gets intense from there.

When you pass the 5,000 score, speed gets insane. After 7,500-- you will start sh**ing yourself--perhaps literally.

Don't let your eggs hit the ground... If you lose half a dozen, the game is over, so be sure to clear the egg chutes once they get full.

You cannot carry eggs and a gun at the same time, so strategy is critical.

If a fox gets in, it is an immediate GAME OVER.

My score above is not bad... but definitely beatable. The prize from above (previous page) is legit, even if I was jacking around with the game.

I hope some of you have fun with this game. Try to play it on real gear if you can... Just something about the experience. :)

Edited by Opry99er
  • Like 2

Hey that's actually a really good score!!

Thanks. Second try. First try was just learning. Had to read the instructions first, though there's nothing to it.

I'll rank Henhouse better than Super Demon Attack.

It was released by Funware. :)

I took a look at TI-99/4A Videogame House. There seems to have been more than a dozen other software houses releasing cartridges without TI license / approval.

Still a little over a week left.

I have pounded on this game and have begun to remember some of the patterns from my childhood. :) My scores don't count, but I thought I would post this as a bit of inspiration. :)

Still doesn't touch my dad's all time high score on this game, but it is by far my personal best.

20170422_001510_zps0vpyajjm.jpg

• Like 1

BTW, I tried this game in emulation on another computer, and I have determined that it was my crap computer (which is now dead) which was jacking with this game at higher speeds.

I think speed tops out at 25k. At that point, it is just hand eye coordination and holding on for dear life.

• Like 1

I am glad you enjoyed the game, Walid... :)

You should give it a try. :) try breaking 20k. :D

Anyway, it is situational awareness, yes... but it is also patterns. The game is not exactly "random" it doesn't seem. There seem to be 2 or 3 "seeds" if you will. One produces foxes early and often. One seems to "cheat" on the egg patterns (sort of) by filling the chutes moderately evenly (which is a bitch) and the other seems completely random.

Believe it or not, my high score above was on a heavy-fox run.

Maybe I am imagining behavior here, but with the 5,000+ playthroughs I have done, I have noticed patterns to the randomness.