Photo

High Score Competition (June: Popeye)

2039 replies to this topic

#2026 Vorticon OFFLINE  

Vorticon

River Patroller

• 3,197 posts

Posted Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:58 PM

Anyone has a PDF of the manual by any chance?

#2027 jwild OFFLINE  

jwild

Chopper Commander

• 110 posts

Posted Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:55 PM

66a3250205cddf298393309d17901742.jpg

71820 level 5

I yam what I yam and I yam what I yam that I yam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2028 sparkdrummer ONLINE  

sparkdrummer

Dragonstomper

• 901 posts
  • Status? I don't need no stinkin' status!

Posted Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:09 AM

Attached File  POPEYE.pdf   142.62KB   14 downloads

We lucked out. I found the manual in my PAPERPORT MAX folder.Cleaned it up as best I could, found a cleaner cover in a jpg file, and then converted to pdf.

#2029 Vorticon OFFLINE  

Vorticon

River Patroller

• 3,197 posts

Posted Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:21 AM

POPEYE.pdf

We lucked out. I found the manual in my PAPERPORT MAX folder.Cleaned it up as best I could, found a cleaner cover in a jpg file, and then converted to pdf.

Thank you!

#2030 adamantyr OFFLINE  

adamantyr

Stargunner

• 1,331 posts

Posted Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:26 AM

The TI-99/4a Popeye port is VERY good, honestly. It captures all the game play essentials and looks really good. When Compute! magazine would have advertisements showing all the different Popeye games, the TI one always looked the best, followed by the ColecoVision.

popeye_screens_large.jpg

If I had one complaint, it's all the minor details. The fact that they didn't have enough graphic space to give Brutus his "little hop" that he does in other versions over gaps, or the full-blown animation of him flying and bouncing off the screen sides and landing in the water with a big splash. (NO splash animations at all) This is all understandable because with the amount of sprite patterns used for Popeye and Brutus, and the constraints of a cartridge, there just isn't room to do swaps. You definitely notice by the third stage that they ran out of character graphics as well; the ship is largely constructed of single color blocks without a lot of detail. (Although to be fair the ship is rather sparse on detail in EVERY version including the arcade.) They didn't even have space to do the individual letters for "HELP" in the 3rd stage.

#2031 OLD CS1 OFFLINE  

OLD CS1

Quadrunner

• 5,220 posts
  • Technology Samurai

Posted Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:42 AM

The TI-99/4a Popeye port is VERY good, honestly. It captures all the game play essentials and looks really good. When Compute! magazine would have advertisements showing all the different Popeye games, the TI one always looked the best, followed by the ColecoVision.

popeye_screens_large.jpg

If I had one complaint, it's all the minor details. The fact that they didn't have enough graphic space to give Brutus his "little hop" that he does in other versions over gaps, or the full-blown animation of him flying and bouncing off the screen sides and landing in the water with a big splash. (NO splash animations at all) This is all understandable because with the amount of sprite patterns used for Popeye and Brutus, and the constraints of a cartridge, there just isn't room to do swaps. You definitely notice by the third stage that they ran out of character graphics as well; the ship is largely constructed of single color blocks without a lot of detail. (Although to be fair the ship is rather sparse on detail in EVERY version including the arcade.) They didn't even have space to do the individual letters for "HELP" in the 3rd stage.

Several other platforms have seen recent rebirths of various games in "Arcade" renditions.  Maybe a re-do of the Parker Brothers games would be a fun project for someone.  As you say, Popeye is, as are the other PB games, quite well done, but simple things like splash animations, background music, etc. could make a little difference.

#2032 adamantyr OFFLINE  

adamantyr

Stargunner

• 1,331 posts

Posted Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:56 AM

One of my other favorite versions of Popeye is "Sailorman" by Tom Mix software on the TRS-80 Color Computer. Despite only being in four colors, the gameplay is superbly done. One of the aspects I liked was on the lowest difficulty level, Brutus doesn't jump or crouch to get you, and he doesn't throw bottles, so it has a much more gradual difficulty curve.

At one time there was an excellent article/interview of Chris Latham, the developer of "Sailorman" and "Donkey King", the Coco port of Donkey Kong. He described in detail all the coding necessary to blit the graphics successfully. Sailorman required 64K of RAM to run, and he indicated most of the extra RAM was used to triple buffer sprite graphics for clean transitions. Sadly the article is long lost, I don't even recall the website now to find it in the Internet Archives. (Also note that the TI could render a pretty good version of the game in a lot less RAM. Hardware sprites make writing action games much easier and cheaper.)

#2033 digdugnate OFFLINE  

digdugnate

Stargunner

• 1,373 posts

Posted Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:38 PM

here's a video link to an interview with Chris Latham- I'll see if I can find the paper interview.

#2034 chue OFFLINE  

chue

Chopper Commander

• 223 posts

Posted Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:42 PM

Nothing like catching a baseball game on the radio and playing some Popeye... Wait does that make me sound old?

Attached Files

Edited by chue, Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:43 PM.

#2035 Opry99er OFFLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 9,695 posts

Posted Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:25 AM

Not at all!!! I love listening to Brewers games and playing games! :)

#2036 jwild OFFLINE  

jwild

Chopper Commander

• 110 posts

Posted Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:36 PM

It is Brutus or Bluto?    

#2037 OLD CS1 OFFLINE  

OLD CS1

Quadrunner

• 5,220 posts
  • Technology Samurai

Posted Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:27 PM

It is Brutus or Bluto?    

Quite simple:  Brutus or Bluto?

#2038 chue OFFLINE  

chue

Chopper Commander

• 223 posts

Posted Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:29 PM

Good question jwild, I never thought of that.  Apparently it's both, per OLD CS1's link.  In the game though, he's Brutus (see manual above).  

Edited by chue, Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:30 PM.

#2039 jwild OFFLINE  

jwild

Chopper Commander

• 110 posts

Posted Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:49 PM

Not at all!!! I love listening to Brewers games and playing games! :)

Brewers....Brutus....hmmmm must be some coincidence.

#2040 PeteE OFFLINE  

PeteE

Chopper Commander

• 145 posts

Posted Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:57 PM

Attached File  popeye.png   4.1KB   2 downloads Fun game but Brutus is brutal.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users