IGNORED

High Score Competition (March: The Mine)

arcadeshopper

Still not a winner, but I'm a lot closer.

Gonna have to get a friend to sit down and play with me, though. I'm pretty sure Blasto was designed as a 2-player game, and solitaire mode was an afterthought. I just keep thinking how fantastic it would be to catch another tank in that chain reaction.

post-3658-0-16698100-1555998330.png

• Like 3

Still nowhere close to the highest, but better than my last posting. My biggest problem playing in Classic99 is the responsiveness, or lack thereof, of the keys. I'll press fire and it doesn't fire, or I'll go in a direction and it will either not respond quickly enough, or overshoots the amount of ground I'm trying to cover forcing me to backtrack or change my plan, wasting precious seconds.

chue's 44000+ is gonna be tough to beat by anyone!

post-39633-0-83042500-1556216859_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

This one is special...

Score 45630

TWO players (with my son).

And found a strategy how to boost up points. Still think we can do better.

You need to shoot the tanks and the opposite blow up himself as much as possible as the other get 1000 points each.

It seems Classic99 tank movement is slower compared to v9t9 and PC99 and others, but timewise it does not make much difference (cannot score higher).1b7bc393c6d3ef3c45c710cc099b990d.jpg

Sent from my VIE-L29 using Tapatalk

Dude? Share your insane score strategy!

It's persistence - when going for a high score above 40k, you need at least 30 seconds left on the timer, so if the timer gets down that low, hit alt-8 to redo and hope you get a better grouping. Try to make efficient use of time by lining up the next shot while waiting for exploding mines.

• Like 2

Yup, did that to avoid hand cramping... Tried a couple of different joysticks too. I did notice a definite lag between control input and actual tank motion at times on real hardware. Need to try the original TI joysticks just for kicks and giggles :) One never knows...

• Like 1

With a few hours remaining we have 12 entries! That has to be more than we've had in many months.

Blasto Scores

chue 44840 (classic 99)
PeteE 43340 (classic 99)
Vorticon 40030
JB 39560
globeron 39490
majestyx 37780 (classic 99)
jwild 37520
digdugnate 32130
Opry99er 30780
old cs1 29030
Airshack 28160
mizapf 14890

• Like 5

With a few hours remaining we have 12 entries! That has to be more than we've had in many months.

Blasto Scores

chue 44840 (classic 99)

PeteE 43340 (classic 99)

Vorticon 40030

JB 39560

globeron 39490

majestyx 37780 (classic 99)

jwild 37520

digdugnate 32130

Opry99er 30780

old cs1 29030

Airshack 28160

mizapf 14890

(I am already in the next day here in this time-zone and looking forward to the next game !)

For the future if persons not getting enough of playing Blasto, try to play with two players

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/241547-high-score-competition-april-blasto/?p=4265864

and beat this 2-player score 45630, it is difficult, but a lot of fun and shouting "faster, faster :-)"

Edited by globeron
  • Like 1

Super simple to learn, hard to master. The perfect combination for any successful game.

I've trying to get into some of the modern games like Elite Dangerous and such, but the sheer number of commands and controls is just overwhelming as it will take months of constant play to get any good at them. I just don't have the time investment available nowadays unfortunately... So yeah, Blasto was perfect! :)

• Like 2

Super simple to learn, hard to master. The perfect combination for any successful game.

I've trying to get into some of the modern games like Elite Dangerous and such, but the sheer number of commands and controls is just overwhelming as it will take months of constant play to get any good at them. I just don't have the time investment available nowadays unfortunately... So yeah, Blasto was perfect! :)

I enjoyed playing this game more than I expected. Impressed with what they did with a single screen and crude graphics. Wishing I knew more about the programmer and the deal with Gremlin to port this 1978 arcade title to the 99/4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1