IGNORED

High Score Competition (April: Starfort)

arcadeshopper

One question, though: That screenshot indicates that the game was not over. Did you play on emulation and pause the game to take the snapshot? I'd rather not drop the joystick at that moment! ;)

I suppose you did the screenshot before the counter cycles, right? What was the end score?

• Like 1

Whoa, that's extreme... What level? I hope we'll get a new video clip! :-)

It was approximately wave 71. Yes it does roll over at 1 million. First time I did it, I didn't take any pictures till it rolled over.

One question, though: That screenshot indicates that the game was not over. Did you play on emulation and pause the game to take the snapshot? I'd rather not drop the joystick at that moment! ;)

I suppose you did the screenshot before the counter cycles, right? What was the end score?

Yes the game was not over. I was playing on a real TI-99/4a with F18A and a Slik Stik joystick. I grabbed my cell phone with one hand and clicked off several pictures. Since the score blinks, most of the time I got a blank score. That pic caught the score.

My end score on that game was just over 1million. The waves keep incrementing, but the score starts over at zero.

As for a new video clip...I could do that. it would be quite long though! We do have two weeks remaining in the month, I may give that a try.

• Like 1

Finally gave it a few spins. It’s actually quite a decent action game. My best score was only 28,700. I wasn't trying hard, only to have a bit of fun.

“Play the Original Arcade Classic in Your Own Home.”

- Yep, that’s what you get. I gotta love Atarisoft.

Considering that Defender is 8K ROM only, it's very well done and executes fast and on the spot. Graphics are functional, absolutely. Rather good use of sprites, and mostly avoiding the maximum of 4 sprites horizontally. Plenty of game elements; landers, shooting, explosions, humanoids, kidnapping/abduction, transformation/mutants, rescuing/catching, baiters, pod and swarmers, bombers and mines, flickering stars, scrolling surface, scanner/radar, hyperspace, smart bombs, mutant takeover, scoring system and difficulty settings. Did I leave out anything?

Back in the day, I already had Donkey Kong and Pac-Man (both 16K). Donkey Kong was impressive with arcade like feel and several screens. Pac-Man was arcade feel too, however a bit on the slow side. I guess I let Defender down a bit for perhaps the somewhat unimpressive starship explosion.

:)

• Like 1

Finally gave it a few spins. It’s actually quite a decent action game. My best score was only 28,700. I wasn't trying hard, only to have a bit of fun.

“Play the Original Arcade Classic in Your Own Home.”

- Yep, that’s what you get. I gotta love Atarisoft.

Considering that Defender is 8K ROM only, it's very well done and executes fast and on the spot. Graphics are functional, absolutely. Rather good use of sprites, and mostly avoiding the maximum of 4 sprites horizontally. Plenty of game elements; landers, shooting, explosions, humanoids, kidnapping/abduction, transformation/mutants, rescuing/catching, baiters, pod and swarmers, bombers and mines, flickering stars, scrolling surface, scanner/radar, hyperspace, smart bombs, mutant takeover, scoring system and difficulty settings. Did I leave out anything?

Back in the day, I already had Donkey Kong and Pac-Man (both 16K). Donkey Kong was impressive with arcade like feel and several screens. Pac-Man was arcade feel too, however a bit on the slow side. I guess I let Defender down a bit for perhaps the somewhat unimpressive starship explosion.

:)

The best I could muster was about 22500 with just dinking around. :) I'm good for this month, I think lol

Donkey Kong and Centipede are pretty darn good ports, I think.

• Like 1

Just a couple of days left until July 1.

Here is where we stand:

Mizapf 124950

Sometimes99er 28700

Digdugnate 22500

Sinphaltimus 6500

Globeron 750

Thanks for all those who have played so far. Maybe there are some more out there that want to share a score?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

(I am over the deadline already 0.30am here), but gave it a try in classic99 with the PS3 type joysticks, it is difficult, need a normal joystick.

I do not come higher than 12.500. (the 950 last time was on an Ipad Pro in a shopping center with JS99er in a browser window not ideal for gaming :-)

• Like 1

(I am over the deadline already 0.30am here), but gave it a try in classic99 with the PS3 type joysticks, it is difficult, need a normal joystick.

I do not come higher than 12.500. (the 950 last time was on an Ipad Pro in a shopping center with JS99er in a browser window not ideal for gaming :-)

I agree. I can't score nearly as well with my PS3 style joystick in emulation compared with real joystick on real TI.

Your iPad post did give me inspiration to try out gaming on my iPad though! Hadn't tried JS99er before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. I can't score nearly as well with my PS3 style joystick in emulation compared with real joystick on real TI.

Your iPad post did give me inspiration to try out gaming on my iPad though! Hadn't tried JS99er before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can use DB9 Joysticks and USB plug with emulators on windows like classic99,js99er and also with RetroPie on a Raspberry. For more details search for my channel on YouTube called TI99VIDEOS. Will try that tonight to see if I can get higher. b46e5be3f5682625fdcd610d869842a7.jpg

Sent from my VIE-L29 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

You can use DB9 Joysticks and USB plug with emulators on windows like classic99,js99er and also with RetroPie on a Raspberry. For more details search for my channel on YouTube called TI99VIDEOS. Will try that tonight to see if I can get higher. b46e5be3f5682625fdcd610d869842a7.jpg

A proper Joystick definitely makes a difference playing this game. 27900e9027673ab5a1ea1668b82bbebe910be.jpg

• Like 1

Here is my last one also. This is a video. My camera maximum mp4 length appears to be one hour. so it is split into two. I didn't match the times I have gone over 1,000,000, but this one is close.

• Like 1

Defender Challenge Final Results:

Here is where we stand:

Mizapf 266550

Globeron 87050
Sometimes99er 57000
Digdugnate 22500
Sinphaltimus 6500

Thank you all for playing and posting. It has been fun doing a "deep dive" into one game for 30 days. Defender was attractive to me because you flew a cool-looking spaceship and defended the planet. It was very challenging, but rewarded you for practice. Plus it has lots of cool buttons on the control panel and wicked sounds. I really enjoyed listening to Eugene Jarvis talk about the creation of the game and his other work on the podcast mentioned earlier in this thread. If you haven't listened yet, it is worth checking out. 30 plus years later, i am still amazed at how smoothly the arcade defender game plays.

Also, I want to thank Globeron for the tip and video on how to use a classic controller with emulation. I ordered a joystick-usb device yesterday and should have it in the near future. Next video I take should be in emulation instead of over my shoulder playing on my real TI. I think I missed a few smart bombs (instead hitting hyperspace) during my 1 hour plus video because the tripod was in the best seat. I was sitting off to the side. I blame that on holding me back from 1,000,000. haha

Well Misapf, it is time for me to pay up. Please send me your address and I will put your awesome prize in the mail.

I also believe it is your turn to pick a game for July!

Edited by jwild
  • Like 1

Thanks for the video!

By the way, I don't remember any rule that the person who picks a game is not eligible to win it, that is, he can win two in a row, or more. So I guess you are the undisputed winner of this month! :)

(If I had to pick a game, I would have chosen Shamus now, but it's obviously your turn.)

• Like 1

*********************************************************************************

*********************************************************************************

TI-99/4A High Score Challenge

Month: July 2017

Game: Shamus

ShamusBF.jpg

I have never played this game until 5 minutes ago. I found it on my FlashROM99, and it looks cool, so here we go!

Good Luck everyone!!

Oh wait..a prize! Same prize as last month since it is still available! Scroll back a few messages to the beginning of June for details.

I will ship it anywhere in the world. Have fun playing!

******************************************************************************************************
******************************************************************************************************

• Like 1