IGNORED

Something to see here

ivop

Hi,

Here's two 160x240 no-flicker "new graphics modes" I have been experimenting with. Funny thing is, the viewers are identical. The conversion routines are totally different though. More info and sources will follow...

black and white (8 shades of gray)

6 images, e.g.

post-20947-0-46285600-1439498233_thumb.png

color (guess how many colors :) )

8 images, e.g.

post-20947-0-70129500-1439498309_thumb.png

Best viewed on real hardware and period display ;)

bw.zip

color.zip

Edited by ivop
  • Like 18

Nice images Ivop!

B&W are looking cool. Breaking bad one is great!

Standalone converter would be really nice to have :)

Looking at code looks like what we've been doing before and called it "Palblending".

Bitmap mode with color changes each scanline.

And I remember Polish coders were doing it earlier with Paint program and demo pictures.

Some examples taken from games are here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/197450-mode-15-pal-blending/?p=2609821

ps. Whole topic is interesting, there are even examples of scrolling game if I remember correctly ...

Edited by popmilo

Sorry for the long delay. I expected to post "how it's done" earlier, but life got in the way.

So, here's how it's done :)

The color mode does resemble PAL-blending a bit, but instead of doing APAC in graphics 15, which I also did before, I wanted a mode that did not have every other line without any luminance. So instead of mixing a line of luma only with a line of chroma only, I wanted both lines to have both components somehow. Going the RGB route would need three lines and looks horrible. I also did not want to page flip, which, especially on PAL, flickers horribly. Then I thought of YUV. One line contains YU and the other YV.

The conversion is pretty simple with some command line fu [1] (mainly netpbm)

Convert image to planar yuv

Make a copy

On the first image, set the V channel to 128 (assuming 8-bit per component)

On the second image, set the U channel to 128

Convert both back to RGB

Quantize both to 4 colors

Select the 8 closest colors from the GTIA palette (sometimes ignoring all gray values and sometimes ignore some purples to improve color spread)

Convert both images to Atari's graphics 15 paletted format, optionally use dithering or use spatial color quantization with built-in dither

Lastly, interleave both images, i.e. take line 1 from image 1, line 2 from image 2, line 3 from image 1, et cetera

That's it. The viewer just switches between two palettes every scan line.

Last Saturday, at the computer club we checked a whole bunch of Atari computers and monitors and this mode is highly dependent on a decently tuned GTIA and looks only mediocre on a TFT screen anyway. A CRT is needed for the full effect :)

As for the 8 shades of gray mode, this was actually a by-product of the above. The odd lines use a palette of 0,4,8,12 and the even lines use 2,6,10,14. Always. Conversion is even simpler. Just quantize and dither two copies of the same image, each using one of the two mentioned palettes. After that, interleave, and so on...

[1] https://xkcd.com/196/

• Like 7

Ingenious!

I had a similar idea but much less educated, unfortunately pic lost.

Basically get a picture without red colour (RED IS BAD) and then do the interleaving with green and blue lines.

It is not that bad on pictures with sky and forest :)

YU / YV much cleverer ;)