• 965 posts

Posted Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:36 PM

I had TILT.

#52 HoshiChiri OFFLINE  

HoshiChiri

Stargunner

• 1,336 posts

Posted Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:31 PM

I used to go to an Aladdin's Castle in a mall in Hanford, CA in the early/mid 90s. It was sort of split into two rooms- the front was mostly ticket machines and a redemption counter, the bac kwas darker and dedicated to arcade machines. I remember encountering the first Virtua Fighter & the Holoseum there and being blown away by the graphical prowess. I also remember playing a lot of Revolution X (my sister was a big Aerosmith fan at the time.) We'd always hit the start button when we were out of token to hear the guy yell 'hey!' at us.

When we moved up here to Wa state, we had a Tilt in the area. It's still here, but it's slowly shrunk over the years. Used to have it's own building, then it moved into the mall, then into progressively smaller spaces in the mall. All the machines in it are several years old- but they're also usually for sale. They put up prices at Christmastime.

The good one is a place that opened a couple years ago called Round One- bowling, billiards, karaoke, and lots of shiny new machines. Quite a few import units too. The only omission is no classic arcade- but they have newer versions of several machines at ticket models. Makes me wish I was a lot better at Galaga/pac-man!

#53 Jumpman1981 OFFLINE  

Jumpman1981

Chopper Commander

• 205 posts

Posted Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:18 AM

An Aladdin's Castle location is still open, but it's nothing but a dull redemption centre

Aladdin's Castle.jpg

#54 Crimefighter OFFLINE  

Crimefighter

Dragonstomper

• 954 posts

Posted Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:20 PM

That the one in Quincy?  ALL redemption games?  Nothing else?

#55 SiberianSpForces OFFLINE  

SiberianSpForces

Moonsweeper

• 260 posts

Posted Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:19 PM

Used to be one at the Tippecanoe Mall. Had a couple b-day parties there. Good times! It then turned into a Sultan's Palace, where the games slowly became prize games. Still got a roll or 2 of tokens in those snazzy token holders.

#56 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Cyborg Bounty Hunter

• 18,437 posts
  • It's a secret to everyone...

Posted Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:35 PM

There is an arcade in one of my local malls full of ticket redeemers. They also have a Ms Pacman / Galaga machine, and a couple racing / bass fishing / buck hunting machines I could care less about. Honestly I've had better luck hitting laundermats and pizza parlours for arcade / pinball action.

#57 Syzygy1 OFFLINE  

Syzygy1

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 433 posts
  • Cyborg is hot.

Posted Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:52 PM

The Aladdin's Castle in the Spotsylvania Mall was where I fell in love with video games.  I played many of the classics for the first time there.  Off the top of my head, that would include games such as Pac-Man, Frogger, Donkey Kong, Centipede, Tempest, Tron, Turbo, Dig Dug, Pole Position, Time Pilot, Burgertime, Kangaroo, and my favorite, Atari's Star Wars!  It was so amazing to find a new awesome game nearly every time I would visit!  It was just a short walk from my home at the time, so the only issue was getting enough quarters to satisfy my constant urge to play these games!  (I was about 9 when it opened in 1980.)  

The lighting was always kept very dim, and a jukebox was always playing 80's top 40 tunes.  It was a super-popular arcade with a line forming around most of the hot games.  I loved that place so much!  It stayed open a pretty long time... I moved away in the early 90's, but it was still open on a return visit in the mid-2000's.  It's gone now, though.  :-(

Now did you know who Cyborg was at the time? That'd complete the quintessential 80s atmosphere.

#58 Syzygy1 OFFLINE  

Syzygy1

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 433 posts
  • Cyborg is hot.

Posted Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:57 PM

In 1978, we got the Louis Joliet Mall, and I believe Aladdin's Castle was one of the first tennants.

What did they have in 1978? Robot Bowl?

#59 Inky OFFLINE  

Inky

Gobs of money!

• 26,023 posts
  • Meh

Posted Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:45 PM

I think that's the one.

I want to think it recently closed up.  I'd love to do a road trip down there to find out.

#60 Shaggy the Atarian OFFLINE  

Shaggy the Atarian

Stargunner

• 1,302 posts

Posted Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:59 PM

This tweet posted today looks like it is still open and still just a redemptioncade :/

https://twitter.com/...351477569626112

#61 Syzygy1 OFFLINE  

Syzygy1

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 433 posts
  • Cyborg is hot.

Posted Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:33 PM

When they hit the awnings and gutter overhangs I convinced them to get me real rocket engines. And eventually I got a VCS and Apple II. And more electronics. It was now 1979 and soon enough a new obsession with Lunar Lander and modems would begin. And that was that..

And you forgot an obsession with Cyborg. (Though he wouldn't be introduced till a year later.) Don't tell me you didn't read The New Teen Titans BITD...

#62 Syzygy1 OFFLINE  

Syzygy1

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 433 posts
  • Cyborg is hot.

Posted Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:51 PM

Seems Aladdin's Castle was the arcade choice among girls and women. Especially when the big-hair era overlapped Aladdin's prime-time.

LMAO, also known as the Cyborg era.

#63 Syzygy1 OFFLINE  

Syzygy1

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 433 posts
  • Cyborg is hot.

Posted Thu Apr 4, 2019 5:00 PM

Atari Football (with trackballs). The latter seemed infinitely complex and cool to me.

I can only think of the Atari Sports episode of the AVGN. "TOUCHDOWN! AAAAAAAAAH!" (beats up the screen)

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users