80 column menu

BOOT MENU F18A GRAM

15 replies to this topic

#1 InsaneMultitasker OFFLINE  

InsaneMultitasker

Stargunner

• 1,731 posts

Posted Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:43 PM

While reconciling the Horizon Ramdisk ROS, CFG, and MENU programs I have been learning about GROM access.  In all these years, I've never had much interest in GPL or GROM.   That changed for a few reasons including the need to understand GROM to reconcile the source code and my curiosity of the magic that Tursi and Gazoo have been conjuring.

Since there is no better way to learn (IMHO) about something than to experiment with it, I found the source code for the 80-column Geneve version of BOOT.  In its native configuration, it resides in two GPL banks and over-rides the title screen.  Gazoo's XB27 suite does something similar with BOOT so I removed most of the Geneve-specific code and started playing around.

Gazoo, Atrax, and Omega have been most helpful testing and offering ideas.  Although the program is not quite ready for release, I can tell you a few things about it:

1. The menu and all options are presented in 80 columns.  F18A and V9938 80-column modes are supported.

2. BwG clock, MBP, Triple Tech, Geneve, and Clulow clocks are supported.  Classic99's clock has been tested but not currently implemented due to space constraints. (incorporation will occur with future consolidation of the clock routines).

3.  Menu files can be created as executables that are run from the menu itself. Chaining of menus is possible with this feature, allowing an "unlimited" number of selections. 

4. The menu program can save itself to the Uber cartridge, similar to the function provided by Gazoo's cartridge code. It can also be saved to disk as BOOT.

5. Ramdisk boot tracking has been added for "DSK*." support, though this may not be necessary.

6. The cartridge finder has been updated to scan up to 16 GROM banks from g>9800 to g>983C. It will also find name headers in the same GROM, such as those found in the Mini Memory cartridge or XB27 suite. The HSGPL exhibits some odd behaviour that we are trying to track down.

7. Re-entry hooks are in place for potential return to the menu from external programs (provided they do not stomp on the menu code).

This program is by no means a formal project and I make no promises on how far I will take it.  Once a few more tests are completed, I'll share the first release for folks to play with.  I haven't settled on a name for the program so for now, it will refer to its roots as the "9640 Menu System". 

Attached Files

#2 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

TI-Runner

• 10,600 posts

Posted Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:46 PM

You guys are gonna  :lust: LOVE  :lust: this menu system!  In my humble opinion...

IT'S THE BEST MENU SYSTEM EVER MADE FOR THE TI!

Guy's with F18A's are gonna be ecstatic, and the 9938 guys can use it too!

There is a short video << HERE >>.

#3 mizapf OFFLINE  

mizapf

River Patroller

• 2,583 posts

Posted Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:52 PM

6. [...] The HSGPL exhibits some odd behaviour that we are trying to track down.

In case you are testing this on a HSGPL emulation on MESS, remember to upgrade to at least version 0.153. I fixed several bugs with that release.

#4 InsaneMultitasker OFFLINE  

InsaneMultitasker

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,731 posts

Posted Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:59 PM

In case you are testing this on a HSGPL emulation on MESS, remember to upgrade to at least version 0.153. I fixed several bugs with that release.

So far the tests have used real hardware as both Gazoo and Atrax have HSGPL devices in there systems. 

For some reason while (or after) reading GROM the system crashes.  I don't know if there is a HSGPL DSR issue or some other oddity that is not apparent in a non-HSGPL system.  The trouble right now is that only one system exhibits the problem.

I would be happy to share the source for the cartridge review routine. Maybe you would spot a reason for the problem.

#5 Shift838 OFFLINE  

Shift838

Stargunner

• 1,950 posts
  • SHIFT838

Posted Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:31 PM

SWEET!  I know I'll be using it when it's released!

#6 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

TI-Runner

• 10,600 posts

Posted Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:49 PM

SWEET!  I know I'll be using it when it's released!

Dude, it IS sweet.  Rasmus is going to have to work over time to fill up that menu screen with new games!  :P

I don't know if its my imagination, but I swear the thing seems to catalog a disk faster than what I'm used to as well.

#7 wyerd OFFLINE  

wyerd

Moonsweeper

• 407 posts

Posted Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:03 PM

You guys are gonna  :lust: LOVE  :lust: this menu system!  In my humble opinion...
IT'S THE BEST MENU SYSTEM EVER MADE FOR THE TI!

Guy's with F18A's are gonna be ecstatic, and the 9938 guys can use it too!

There is a short video << HERE >>.

Great video and explanation of the features Omega.

#8 wyerd OFFLINE  

wyerd

Moonsweeper

• 407 posts

Posted Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:04 PM

Can't wait to get my hands on it. Boot has been crying out for 80 columns.

#9 RXB ONLINE  

RXB

River Patroller

• 2,798 posts

Posted Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:48 PM

At one time was there 80 column version of Boot using the 80 column cards taking advantage of the 9938 and 9958 chips?

Also FW had one built in for 80 columns.

#10 sparkdrummer OFFLINE  

sparkdrummer

Dragonstomper

• 777 posts
  • Status? I don't need no stinkin' status!

Posted Tue Sep 8, 2015 7:53 AM

Just wondering if there's any update on this?

#11 InsaneMultitasker OFFLINE  

InsaneMultitasker

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,731 posts

Posted Wed Sep 9, 2015 7:32 PM

Just wondering if there's any update on this?

I have been unexpectedly out of town, among other things.   I will plan to post something when I return. 

#12 aftyde OFFLINE  

aftyde

Chopper Commander

• 219 posts

Posted Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:00 AM

Been setting this up on my system - awesome!  :)  Any chance you could read the clock from Fred's HDX?  

100 OPEN #1:"HDX1.TIME",INTERNAL,FIXED
  110 INPUT #1:SEC$,MIN$,HOUR$,DAY$,MONTH$,YEAR$,DAYOFWEEK$
  120 CLOSE #1

Near as I can tell, all current HW clocks are out of production with the exception of HDX...  

Not complaining!  :)  Love the new menu - much better than Boot - which I used for years!!!

Cheers, Arthur...

#13 InsaneMultitasker OFFLINE  

InsaneMultitasker

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,731 posts

Posted Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:12 AM

Been setting this up on my system - awesome!   :)  Any chance you could read the clock from Fred's HDX?  

100 OPEN #1:"HDX1.TIME",INTERNAL,FIXED
  110 INPUT #1:SEC$,MIN$,HOUR$,DAY$,MONTH$,YEAR$,DAYOFWEEK$
  120 CLOSE #1

Near as I can tell, all current HW clocks are out of production with the exception of HDX...  

Not complaining!   :)  Love the new menu - much better than Boot - which I used for years!!!

Cheers, Arthur...

I'll add it to the list of 'possibilities'.  I was hoping to add the IDE clock to the mix as well.

My programming availability/time has been quite limited this year.  I don't know when things will change, so don't anticipate anything too soon  ;)

#14 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

TI-Runner

• 10,600 posts

Posted Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:23 AM

Been setting this up on my system - awesome!   :)  Any chance you could read the clock from Fred's HDX?  

Let me know if/when you get CorComp or compatible RTC.  Since you are getting into Forth I have a real nice startup for fbForth that gets the date and time on start up.  Thanks to the able assistance of Guru Lee Stewart.  

Getting the HDX to read time in fbForth would be cool too!

#15 aftyde OFFLINE  

aftyde

Chopper Commander

• 219 posts

Posted Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:25 AM

I do have a CorComp FDC actually - but have been using my TI 80 track controller here because I feel it's more reliable.  I have been experimenting with fbForth from HDX and it appears to run well.  Right now however I have been focused on getting TI-Base to run properly from HDX.  I am going to write up a post on that as it's a pretty interesting story.

#16 aftyde OFFLINE  

aftyde

Chopper Commander

• 219 posts

Posted Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:53 AM

Any updates to the 9640 Menu System?  Where could the most recent version be found?  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: BOOT, MENU, F18A, GRAM

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users