IGNORED

CPU BOOSTER DEVELOPMENT PCB

exxosuk

http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/16mhz/index.htm#AUG132015

post-7597-0-64133700-1439812891_thumb.png

As most know I am working with Rodolphe Pineau on various CPU booster designs. As we are working though problems one by one, I decided to create a development board to do testing on.

This dev-board has dual TOS (104 & 206 by default). Most CPU signals are routed though a Atmel PLD so we can have full control over signals. A socket for a oscillator as we hope to go fully async to investigate higher than 32mhz speeds. All the address and data bus have optional pulls ups as loading the bus more is causing stability issues. All PLD signals (at least CPU lines) are routed via resistors to snub oscillating and bad signals. Across the front of the board is every IO pin so a Logic Analyser can be easily connected. Also it holds the V3 booster expansion header for future upgrades such as IDE , fast-ram etc. Ideally we want 32mhz ROM, CPU, FAST-RAM. According to some people 50-80mhz is possible out of the CPU.

The PCB is about to go into production, so if anyone is interested in obtaining one of these dev-boards then now is the time to speak up. Then you basically come either a developer or a beta tester. This way you will be the first to try new features as they are developed and each new feature is free for you to program on your dev-system. You will also need a Atmel programmer to program the PLD.

The price for the PCB only depends on how many people want one. Probably around $50 each. Most parts are generic such as resistors, PLCC sockets etc, but I can work on a price for other items another time if needed.

• Like 1

You would need a STFM, the booster plugs into the CPU socket.

http://www.kanda.com/products/Kanda/ATDH1150USB-K.html

This isn't going to be a quick project as myself and Rodolphe do this in our spare time. We mostly spend some time each day on this, but firmware takes much time to release. So would be some months between firmware updates as new features take time to develop & debug.

Hello,

The computer is no problem.

I have STFM, STE, Mega ST, Mega STE, TT and Falcon. (More than one of each)

And Yes, I know the different CPU's in those.

I also have some 68020 and 68030 chips. (Pins below the housing and ceramic package)

Of course I do have some 68000 CPU's in DIL package. (Let me know if you need any chips.

I will look into the programming part. If it's J-Tag, it's no problem and $53 is not so bad for buying one.

I do have a good O-Scope but no logic analiser.

BR/

Guus

This board takes the PLCC 68000. Rodolphe is working on 020 booster but only so many hours in the day :)

If you PM me with your email I will send invoice for the PCB. Parts are basic resistor arrays and PLCC sockets so can be obtained easy, though I can probably supply any parts you can't obtain anyway.

Deadline for these PCB's is Monday (24th ), thats when the order goes off. So if anyone wants to get one of these dev-system boards then send me a PM and I will send a paypal invoice. Also please say where you are in the world as postage will vary.

Its a cheap way to get the latest boosters for a low cost, when the final boards go into production they will be built and assembled, and the cost will be a lot higher than the dev-system which is essentially the prototype of the final product. Please note you need a Atmel programmer and you will need to obtain parts and assemble it yourself. There is nothing SMT on this board, and all basically "off the shelf" parts. I will try and do a parts list tomorrow for it.

1uf 2mm capacitors x 6

100uf 5mm capacitor x2

10k resistors x3

2x50 way 1.27mm header x1

AT27C4096-55ns x1

ATF1508AS-10AU PLCC84 x1

PLCC84 socket x1

PLCC44 socket x1

10K DIP resistor array isolated x8

10K sil resistor array bused x5

2.54mm header pins

PLCC68 socket x1

PLCC 68000 CPU 16mhz

I think that is pretty much the parts list. The ROM will need to be programmed, any good universal programmer should be able to program them.

I will have a stock of most parts in the near future, so they can be obtained from me if needs be.

I would also suggest the resistor arrays be put in sip/dip sockets/headers as they might need to be changed or removed depending on "unknowns" in the development phase.

PCB order has been sent off :) Will be about a week while await for them to arrive.

I will post assembly instructions on my site (probably have a new page just for developers or beta testers) with the various firmware updates as they happen.

Initial firmware will be simply to prove the assembly and PLD programming is all good. So it should act like a stock machine. At least then everyone knows that is working stable before building in various updates like CPU boosting etc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...