Photo

What's a RS232 to WIFI converter good for?

850 RS232 WIFI

7 replies to this topic

#1 k-Pack OFFLINE  

k-Pack

Star Raider

• 59 posts

Posted Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:45 PM

As a follow-up to another message thread I searched Amazon for RS232 equipped devices that could be hooked to the Atari through the 850 interface.  A group of items were listed as RS232 to WIFI converters. I'm now wondering why I would want one of these?

I'm thinking that there's not a lot of existing software for the converter so I'm really wondering what would it do if there was? 

#2 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

Hexacorerunner

• 14,003 posts

Posted Tue Sep 1, 2015 11:32 AM

Actually there many uses, here's a few...

1) Being able to use your classic computer further away from your router (less cables).

2) Allows you to transfer files to and from the Classic Computer and your modern PC or Mac

3) Let's you call the MANY telnet based BBS systems running on classic hardware.

On my classic machine I use a CHEAP little Vonets "WiFi Bridge"

gallery_35324_1027_141322.jpg

I plug the WiFi Bridge into my << Lantronix UDS-10 >>, a device that easily obtainable on Ebay.  The UDS-10 is used by quite a few people in the Classic Computing circles.  

gallery_35324_1027_26764.jpg

It'll use any basic terminal program available for your specific classic machine.  The command set is "Hayes Compatible".

#3 gozar OFFLINE  

gozar

Dragonstomper

• 991 posts

Posted Wed Sep 2, 2015 6:11 AM

Good looking set up.

#4 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Cyborg Bounty Hunter

• 18,460 posts
  • Alita Jean

Posted Wed Sep 2, 2015 7:22 AM

I used a Mac Mini as a router to connect to internet when I first got my Wii we still had dial up.

I remember it taking over 3 hours to download Sin and Punishment to Virtual Console. That's a looooonng time watching Mario run across the screen... :P

Edited by stardust4ever, Wed Sep 2, 2015 7:22 AM.

#5 576XE OFFLINE  

576XE

Dragonstomper

• 780 posts

Posted Thu Sep 3, 2015 11:52 AM

I never thought that Atari Inet is WWWeb. (We need some PC conversion routine from 16M photo to ... Atari image. Some problems araises with simple test too.)

It may be telnet to SDX etc. (Very good thing...)

It may be ftp to files... (I love it!)

IMHO I only need the inet connection to PC programs like Steeve's APE etc.

It'll give me a freedom...

#6 ricortes OFFLINE  

ricortes

Dragonstomper

• 686 posts

Posted Sat Sep 5, 2015 9:50 AM

Just my personal experience. Most of the WiFi devices are being targeted at [Arduino, RPi, ...] for one off applications. WiFi doesn't not necessarily mean the internet so it is just a cheap solution to running wire. I should emphasize that small or one off projects does not mean a lack of passion for them.

Some of the projects are remote data collection and control. Amateur meteorologist collecting wind, temp, humidity, ??? kind of stuff. One of my Son's projects is trying to get a huge hydroponics system up and running. He wants it under a combination of automatic and remote control with the ability to monitor what is going on from home.

Most of my current fooling around projects are Arduino based but I want to emphasize there is almost nothing you can do with an Arduino that you can't do with an Atari. The only advantage the Arduino has is it does stuff ~30X as fast as an Atari. For many applications like temperature there is little need to get 14 million samples per second. Ditto for things like decision making and control i.e. the greenhouse is 80 degrees, turn on the fan for five minutes.

Invariably when I talk to people about applications like temperature monitoring, their eyes glaze over and they respond ~Just turn on the TV and watch the weather report. I say this because your first observation about a shortage of applications is accurate in that there are easy ways to get the same information. Read a thermometer, look out a window, flip a switch, whatever. You would be hard pressed to come up with an application that needed to be automated and accessible over WiFi. Even if you did, the path of least resistance would probably be a cell phone. Truly a hobbyist domain.

#7 k-Pack OFFLINE  

k-Pack

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 59 posts

Posted Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:59 PM

Thanks for the responses.  I've been on the S.A.M. (Software Automatic Mouth) band wagon so have drifted to thinking about how to use the Atari as a speech synthesizer over a WIFI connection.  Seems like this can be done but not sure why.

There is a program called SAMTERM that receives TEXT from the RS232 port and will speak it (have not tried it). I think that it would be a reasonable assumption that an ad hoc network connections could be setup between an Atari and any other WIFI equipped processor/computer for text/data transfer. I'm having a hard time believing that it would be that easy. and I am worried that I will have to assimilate so much information that my head will explode. I'm not looking forward to that.

I'm going to hold off buying the converter until my todo list is a little less crowded. 

#8 Kyle22 OFFLINE  

Kyle22

River Patroller

• 4,096 posts
  • broadway1.lorexddns.net 10001

Posted Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:25 PM

It would be a simple matter to receive data from the serial (or any) port and have the text spoken by S.A.M. or (better yet) the V: device.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 850, RS232, WIFI

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users