IGNORED

C64 games without hardware sprites

José Pereira

It does for player and mobile enemies i think, but would have to look properly to be sure though.

If memory serves from idling in the IRC channel (i was Nostalgia's web/PR bunny at that time and coding the SID Burners music packs) all of that four player code was in there already but disabled, so the game was modified at an object code level to enable it in a similar way to how the trainers and N0SDOS were bolted in.

All interesting. I don't remember that version supporting the Commodore/Amiga mouse or a Trak-Ball. A friend of mine with a C64 had it back then. It was one of the few games him and his father actually legitimately purchased.

Yawn....

Hard Drivin' is of a genre, the A8 has never seen. So where is the question, what has to be converted and the priority?

That's not really any fun on a relatively powerful 68K with custom hardware to back it up - I'd probably prioritise Stuntcar racer if you want a racing game, or something running in freescape where the gameplay is slower paced.

"Revs" and "Grand Prix Circuit" look good. I would turn the sound off revs though, it's good that tv's can be muted.

As for GPC, this looks good. Would the tunnel effect be possible though? Didn't Elektraglide use quad width pmgs to achieve that? Perhaps there are other ways of doing it though.

Grand Prix Circuit could be done and from my old tries, playing and watching videos even the tunnel can probably not need PMGs like Elektraglide.

But the cars are still hardware sprites on C64. I could get one a little less wide and possible even on the higher zoom using the A8 4PMGs but it then, in this case (on the horizon untill about 1/3 of the road 2 per line seem possible), will only be possible 1car per line never 2 that I think C64 can achieve.

The car panel can be in charmode with the speed and others lines using PMGs and the same for the mirrors.

In the end apart from 'ripping' the gfxs of the fonts, car(s), road and the top sky/buildings/mountains (these like the panel can be in charmode and horizontal hardware scroll then DLIs change to bitmap mode for the road and grass colours. These will go well using the same hardware horizontal scrolling for the road turnings on each single scanline like in Pole Position and Elektraglide).

With all these it will end up in an A8 totally own colour done from scratch.

As for the BBC Revs it will be to just import the code to ours GR.15 bitmap mode just changing the adresses, but to be honest I don't see what it has to offer and driving alone in a road with not much more to offer.

What I always wish was that BBC/Electron had more and more real like Grand Prix Circuit cockpit view or even something like Out Run even if more simple but that we could, maybe, port it and then add our improvements.

Shame that the Amstrad CPCs that were to use 6502 at an almost late end of design, maybe because of prices, Alan Sugar and his team moved to the Z80 (looking to Amstrad, the 3 resolutions, overscan and 16colours on screen and is easy to see that is exactly the same as their same English 'pals' of BBC/Electron though a shame that these guys left the 2nd half of the pallete unused).

Edited by José Pereira

Hey, C16 Plus4 version remaking of Acccolade's Grand prix Simulator:

http://plus4world.powweb.com/software/Grand_Prix_Circuit

Still with problems to run the Vice's and all 'Commies' emulators and can't get anywhere a video of this version, hopefully the most imporatnt that are the A8 emulators Atari800WinPlus and Altirra runs just fine ;) :grin:!...

Like I said but here's Plus4 is just 4colours and DLIs will change change colours at the top sky/,ountains/road and panel. With that DLI on the road we can even have the better looking dark gray for the cars slicks.

The bottom panel at the bottom would be black and 2grays and lightest gray as white gives Gr.15 4colours I think I can then add the other colours by PMGs :)...

Hey this one would rock and if others from C64 can why not this from C16 Plus4?

:)

good idea - I know I keep banging on about 'throwing CPU power and memory at colour is all well and good but *you need to leave resources for the game logic*' but in this case you have a relatively small playfield of a couple of screens where you could probably just fix up a pointer to the right part, sidestepping a lot of the work the C64 has to do.

That means you should have a good chunk of runtime to actually throw at solving colour problems once you get the ball physics out of the way.

• Like 1

There is, was one or two of the levels gfxs ported to A8 in charmode I think and probably the idea to throw some colours in the table gfxs by DLIs and PMGs underlays.

I saw one or two level tables but can't remember if it had or not those 'add colours'. It was some years ago and I haven't heard more of it and I also haven't nothing to do with it but at least the man that show me the A8 tables is a well knowing 'here and there' :grin:, maybe he come up and say something :).

All I can say is that the table(s) were scrolling up and down but no ball nor nothing else and I think that nothing more was done :(.

Edited by José Pereira

There's even C64 source-code available.

I know it's not fully finished game, but still amazing as for 8-bit.

If memory serves, it uses hardware sprites for the ball... also the Ignition table graphics in that video were converted/reworked by me, so yays. =-)

• Like 3