IGNORED

Ultimate Cart (SD multicart) - Technical thread

electrotrains

Cool, thanks - I have one so will butcher it when my cart from Panos arrives :)

If you are getting in on the new batch it's actually slightly easier to fit. The center post does not have to be removed and the header is oriented differently.

Does anybody have the drawings for a shell design or the actual XE cart shell, in eagle I suppose would be the best.

There is a proto house down the street here, Id like to see what they would charge to manufacture a batch.

Thanks

• Like 1

Does anybody have the drawings for a shell design or the actual XE cart shell, in eagle I suppose would be the best.

There is a proto house down the street here, Id like to see what they would charge to manufacture a batch.

Thanks

I don't promise nothing for now, but....

In few days I will come in direct communication with a molding company here in Greece, in an effort to make again available the original striped Atari cartridge.

The goal is to make it again as the original, but with a way as to be possible to open easily, and in more colors like blue, orange, yellow, green etc..

I am almost sure cause I can't support the total cost for something like this only by my own funds.

But my point is to show all the details public, and if the community need it for REAL and wants to support it, to make it available in mass production for anyone in the world!

Of course first of all I will make samples from what I intend to made.

Lets see... :)

Edited by santosp
  • Like 9

Tip of the Day: The original Atari XE cart with stripes (made in Taiwan) has an Atari Fuji logo on the backside. If you re-create this cart., DON`T use the Atari Fuji logo on the backside. Otherwise some Atari lawyers will go after you...

The older 400/800/XL pcb`s do fit in this cart type, but I would prefer if the cart uses a screw in the middle instead of the snappers (this screw should be opened from the backside then, so one does not have to destroy the cart. label) and maybe two or four small "thingies" (whatever they are called) to hold the cart upright/in place. The 400/800/XL pcb`s and the pcb used in this Taiwan cart. has space / a hole for a screw...

Edited by CharlieChaplin

I don't promise nothing for now, but....

In few days I will come in direct communication with a molding company here in Greece, in an effort to make again available the original striped Atari cartridge.

The goal is to make it again as the original, but with a way as to be possible to open easily, and in more colors like blue, orange, yellow, green etc..

I am almost sure cause I can't support the total cost for something like this only by my own funds.

But my point is to show all the details public, and if the community need it for REAL and wants to support it, to make it available in mass production for anyone in the world!

Of course first of all I will make samples from what I intend to made.

Lets see... :)

If a "sample" where to come my way I could test it for you :D

I have update my two posts #53 & #106 with the final Eagle files which used in the manufacturing process. 66 (31 + 35) total cartridges completed based on these. This is my last action on this marvelous project of electrotrains.

Thank all those who supported it. :thumbsup:

Panos.

• Like 1

It didn't come out perfectly, but it's done! First I somehow managed to mark one of the cuttouts wrong, as in, off by half a centimeter! I still don't know how, I'm thinking there were gremlins involved. Then I struggled with making adjustments to get it to close properly, the button to clear, and the card to slide in and out (hey, it went in and out just fine before closing it up!). Anyway, another repurposed Bug Hunt cart! I don't even own a lightgun.

post-37301-0-99621500-1459825514_thumb.jpg post-37301-0-37842100-1459825527_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

In case anyone prefers to make an independent build of santosp's design (rather than my original), here are the part numbers where his revised board differs from mine:

1 x Capacitor Array 0805 X5R 6.3V .1uF 4 Element (Mouser 810-CKCL44X5R0J104M)
1 x Resistor Array 1506 10k 8 Element (Mouser 652-CAY16-103J8LF)
1 x IDT QS34X245Q3G 32-bit switch (Mouser 972-QS34X245Q3G)

Robin

A laser cut prototype has been completed for the layered acrylic shell. There is not enough internal clearance so the button and connectors on the back have been filed shorter. The corners on the left and right side will need a chamfer or rounded, to fit in XEGS. Fits in 800XL fine as pictured. Not sure on other systems. Due to variations in the plastic thickens (±10%) some shimming or filing of mounting surface is needed to center the PCB. The hole for the push button is drilled after assembly. The stock button doesn't extend out far enough but can be pushed with a toothpick or similar. The four screws are plastic screws with #2-28 thread (Amazon) about 6mm long. They may need to be filed shorter as well too. PDF of the design attached if anyone wants to build their own. I think there is enough thickness on the back to remove material for more internal clearance to fit an unmodified PCB.

post-44873-0-25610500-1460148218_thumb.jpg post-44873-0-18972300-1460148232_thumb.jpg post-44873-0-24926900-1460148244_thumb.jpg

post-44873-0-55007700-1460148277_thumb.jpg post-44873-0-23334400-1460148258_thumb.jpg

Ultimate Cart Shell v2.pdf

• Like 5

It didn't come out perfectly, but it's done! First I somehow managed to mark one of the cuttouts wrong, as in, off by half a centimeter! I still don't know how, I'm thinking there were gremlins involved. Then I struggled with making adjustments to get it to close properly, the button to clear, and the card to slide in and out (hey, it went in and out just fine before closing it up!). Anyway, another repurposed Bug Hunt cart! I don't even own a lightgun.

attachicon.gifCartTopFront.jpg attachicon.gifCartTopBack.jpg

How do you open the cartridge up to work on it?

Hi Robin.

Thank you for the last cart.

Here is my case. Came out very well, except the back..Did not position right so a larger hole that I wanted.

But I also made a hole on the front so that I can see the LED...shown in last picture in my XEGS.

Works great also in my A400, if I don't close the door ;)

Thanks again

Glen

post-40453-0-31882100-1460565645_thumb.jpg

post-40453-0-88854600-1460565645_thumb.jpg

post-40453-0-36322200-1460565646_thumb.jpg

post-40453-0-89986400-1460565646_thumb.jpg

post-40453-0-37820700-1460565647_thumb.jpg