IGNORED

Ultimate Cart (SD multicart) - Technical thread

electrotrains

• 5 weeks later...

ive got a problem when it comes to flashing the new bios (xex loading), i set up the software, load the pof file and press the program button, then the usb blaster activity light flashes and thats about it, nothing changes in the multicart still dont see the 1.1 update. what is it im missing, any help appreciated

• 3 weeks later...

A laser cut prototype has been completed for the layered acrylic shell. There is not enough internal clearance so the button and connectors on the back have been filed shorter. The corners on the left and right side will need a chamfer or rounded, to fit in XEGS. Fits in 800XL fine as pictured. Not sure on other systems. Due to variations in the plastic thickens (±10%) some shimming or filing of mounting surface is needed to center the PCB. The hole for the push button is drilled after assembly. The stock button doesn't extend out far enough but can be pushed with a toothpick or similar. The four screws are plastic screws with #2-28 thread (Amazon) about 6mm long. They may need to be filed shorter as well too. PDF of the design attached if anyone wants to build their own. I think there is enough thickness on the back to remove material for more internal clearance to fit an unmodified PCB.

attachicon.giflaser cut layout.jpg attachicon.giffront iso.jpg attachicon.giffront flat.jpg

attachicon.gifback view.jpg attachicon.giffiled to fit.jpg

Can I ask what thickness acrylic you used for the cart case parts?

Acrylic was 3mm thick. Seems like most sheets are ±10% thickness tolerance. Some filing or shimming the PCB mount might be necessary if the fit is too tight in the cartridge slot.

I was unable to get the PCBs to fit without removing (or shortening) the programming header. Adding a chamfer to level 2 where where the SD card connector is needed for a bit of extra clearance.

• 2 weeks later...

Acrylic was 3mm thick. Seems like most sheets are ±10% thickness tolerance. Some filing or shimming the PCB mount might be necessary if the fit is too tight in the cartridge slot.

I was unable to get the PCBs to fit without removing (or shortening) the programming header. Adding a chamfer to level 2 where where the SD card connector is needed for a bit of extra clearance.

What did you use to cut the parts from the acrylic sheet?

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

I cut out 1st one by hand using a Rockwell Blade Runner with a Bosch Plexiglass saw blade. The pattern to cut out was printed on laser printer and then transferred to the the acrylic using a 50/50 mix of acetone and denatured alcohol. (Cold toner transfer) This was quite tedious. If you go this route I'd leave extra stock on the outside until it is all glued up. Then file and sand sides down to final size.

2nd and 3rd I ordered laser cut parts. I ordered from Pololu.com. I think this ended up about $25 for the parts to make one shell.

I'd order an opaque color instead of the clear acrylic if I were to build any more. The parts are solvent welded together. I ended up with a lot of air bubbles in the joints, wouldn't be noticeable with opaque material.

• 2 months later...

hi

is there an editor or tool that can be used to create different boot menus?

ie - via boot_rom file?

are there collections of boot_rom files that can be used

cheers

There are only two boot menus: Robin's original and mine, which replaced it (and is based on Robin's). The minimum requirement for writing an alternative is unfortunately being an assembly language developer. ;) However, I think I also speak for Robin when I say we'd both be keen to hear suggestions on ways the boot menu could be improved. I have some ideas of my own which unfortunately require Robin to make changes to the VHDL, but I think he has a few ideas on the burner as well.

• Like 3

Let me begin by saying that I am not very informed about the technical aspects and the limitations of this product, so please excuse me if this is outside the realm of possibilities. :)

How about a File Manager built in that could copy, move, rename, delete files on the SD card? I have a FlashAir card in mine that is part of my network, so i just use Firefox to download something, then switch tabs to the Atari, and upload to the SD card. The script I have on the SD card doesn't handle directories, so my only option is to pull the card and use my laptop to move things around or rename them.

Possible?

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question - what is the signficant difference between this ulitmate cart and the atarimax IDE-II?

Well....

Not a quick answer. This cart has a slot for an SD card which may contain hundreds if not thousands of Atari cartridge images. It handles most types of carts ranging from simple 8K ones up to OSS and XE type bank switch carts, SpartaDOS-X type carts, and AtariMax 8M carts, plus many more.

Basically, this cart will run almost anything that was ever put on an Atari cartridge, plus it will run Atari executable files directly.

Put a FlashAir SD card in it, and you can send files to it via WiFi.

The AtariMax MyIDE-II cart, like the SIDE2 is a hard drive on a cart, which is used for a different purpose. The MyIDE-II will run some cart format stuff, but is nowhere near as flexible.

For more info, look here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/241796-ultimate-cart-sd-multicart-preorders-thread/

Highly recommended piece of hardware!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Robin, since this is the technical thread, i thought it would be appropriate to ask the question here.

I am not an electronics expert but i like to assemble my own hardware whenever possible as i like the hobby. So recently i decided to go ahead with assembling the Ultimate cart.

Thanks to your excellent open source work and complete documentation the task shouldn't be too difficult. So I am ready to order the parts but I have one question.

I found 2 versions of Max 10 that are very close in terms of specs, but there is a price difference, so i checked the datasheet and found the differences.

One product is: 10M08SAE144C8G (the one you used in your design) and the other (less expensive one) is 10M08SCE144C8G and the only difference between the two appears to be on the Feature Options

SA: Single supply - analog and flash features with RSU option, vs. SC: Single supply - compact features

I am not knowledgable with FPGAs so my question is: For this project's purposes does it matter which one i use and why?

Just trying to save a few bucks here :) but i am also curious to know what those differences mean.

post-48023-0-04276800-1489103004_thumb.jpg

Let me begin by saying that I am not very informed about the technical aspects and the limitations of this product, so please excuse me if this is outside the realm of possibilities. :)

How about a File Manager built in that could copy, move, rename, delete files on the SD card? I have a FlashAir card in mine that is part of my network, so i just use Firefox to download something, then switch tabs to the Atari, and upload to the SD card. The script I have on the SD card doesn't handle directories, so my only option is to pull the card and use my laptop to move things around or rename them.

Possible?

i have a flashair but can only download from the card to the pc please tell me how to send to the card!

Doc, start here: https://flashair-developers.com/en/documents/api/config/#EXAMPLE

Read everything you can on that site.

Attached is my SD_WLAN folder. Put it on the card at /SD_WLAN/ and make sure to use Notepad++ or similar on the CONFIG file because of the *nix style LF EOLs.

You'll need to set APPNETWORKKEY=******** to your actual WiFi key. It will get replaced automatically with ******** after the card reads it, that is normal.

After you get it set up, point your web browser at the card's IP address (that you set in CONFIG).

I simply searched, downloaded and modified this to work for me. I'm sure a much better job could be done, but it works.

Let us know how it works for you.

I would love to see an XTreeGold style file manager on this thing :)

SD_WLAN.zip

my flashair is a w02 card so no drag and drop..... I simply set up short cuts using cgi to do the following operations on the card

read and display a directory

set a directory

upload file (save a file to the set directory)

delete a file

I no longer need to put the card in an x86 at all... one at a time operations though

http://flashair/command.cgi?op=100&DIR=/

http://flashair/upload.cgi?UPDIR=/

http://flashair/upload.cgi

http://flashair/upload.cgi?DEL=/ATARI/

just put what you want after the / and away you go!

The Ultimate Cart Flashair card is now fully wirelessly browsed, saved to, and downloaded from...... in fact I am connected to AtariAge and typing this post through the card as I have set it to be a station and an Access Point in bridge mode..... and as you look it over it has a shared memory mode as well as iSDIO mode... the dang thing could possibly let the Atari itself do all the IRC, BBS stuff without a lantonix.... this thing is slick Redirection and DNS nice!

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There are only two boot menus: Robin's original and mine, which replaced it (and is based on Robin's). The minimum requirement for writing an alternative is unfortunately being an assembly language developer. ;) However, I think I also speak for Robin when I say we'd both be keen to hear suggestions on ways the boot menu could be improved. I have some ideas of my own which unfortunately require Robin to make changes to the VHDL, but I think he has a few ideas on the burner as well.

Only improvement I can think of at the moment (the menu software is quite well done!) is speed. If I open a directory with a few subdirectories it is quick, but with say 15 directories it takes quite a long time to see those entries (there are lots of files UNDER those directories in some cases, but not at the level of the directories themselves). I can characterize this better for you/test things and PM you more info if you'd like.

Edited by telengard