IGNORED

"Growing The 8 bit Generation" film documentary

wyerd

Nope! Another Commodore heavy "history". Don't need anymore of those.

Why? The world needs to know about Commodore. It's the most-neglected topic in all of 8-bit-dom (with the possible exception of the NES).

• Like 1

"Another" Commodore heavy history? Have I missed some? I'm familiar with the "On the Edge" book, but I'm not familiar with any video documentaries...

I agree with the sentiment that something Commodore specific can be biased, but I think these histories are vitally important.

More than once, I've asked my fellow coworkers, bright programmers in their 20s, what they know about the Apple II. I'm depressed when many declare that it was the "first home computer", "best home computer", "most important home computer", and so on.

Apple still exists, where as Commodore, Atari, Amstrad, Sinclair, and so many others are gone. I'm afraid of the revisionist history that can inevitably come where Apple is the only player that anyone remembers. Of course, Apple is important, but I want some histories that give a better picture of the early days of home and personal computers.

• Like 4

[..]

More than once, I've asked my fellow coworkers, bright programmers in their 20s, what they know about the Apple II. I'm depressed when many declare that it was the "first home computer", "best home computer", "most important home computer", and so on.

[..]

Why's this upset you?

Read the description. The Commodore bias is obvious. Atari 8-bits are barely mentioned, and not at all in Joe DeCuir's paragraph. His work on the SIO port was fundamental to USB development.

I started "computing" in 1982 and never knew one person that owned an atari computer. Maybe it was my area of the country (SE), but by 1982 it was all VIC20, C64 and a couple of years later the 128, Amiga. It was as if Atari 8bit and their ST never existed.

The Atari 400 and 800 were the best selling 8-bits during 1980-1982.

http://jeremyreimer.com/m-item.lsp?i=137

Don't be so sure. First of all, from the spreadsheet it was only 1981-1982. TRS-80s outsold it in 1980.

Also, Tandy stopped reporting sales numbers for new machines in 1980 when the CoCo was introduced and Tandy repeatedly said that machine was their best seller.

After that they just gave sales in $ rather than number of machines.

So maybe, maybe not.

What bothers me about the video is it seems to completely ignore the first commercial machines and the hobbyist computers that paved the way for the C64.

People creating their own machines is what started moving things along. That's where BASIC got the foothold in personal computers and people got the idea that anyone might be able to afford their own computer.

• Like 2

Nope! Another Commodore heavy "history". Don't need anymore of those.

Exactly. Equally as bad are these so-called videogame "historians" who think that NES was the only gaming related company that existed in the 10 years leading up to release of the Playstation.

• Like 1

I started "computing" in 1982 and never knew one person that owned an atari computer. Maybe it was my area of the country (SE), but by 1982 it was all VIC20, C64 and a couple of years later the 128, Amiga. It was as if Atari 8bit and their ST never existed.

That's a shame.

Don't be so sure. First of all, from the spreadsheet it was only 1981-1982. TRS-80s outsold it in 1980.

What bothers me about the video is it seems to completely ignore the first commercial machines and the hobbyist computers that paved the way for the C64.

People creating their own machines is what started moving things along. That's where BASIC got the foothold in personal computers and people got the idea that anyone might be able to afford their own computer.

Oops. 1981-1982, then.

Agreed. The early homebrewers and kitbuilders are really the interesting story.

• Like 1

It was all C64 by 1982, I doubt that very much (only came out in US in Aug 82)

I got one of the first ones in my city in 1982 as we preodered so vic 20 would have dominated 82 and when I actually started meeting other kids with computers (into 1983) they all had c64s. And I was speaking of where I lived which I doubt you would know anything about. Timeline may be a little fuzzy but close enough to support my point. I noticed you totally disregarded the vic20 that was sitting in front of c64 in my comment which is where the 1982 comes in..

Edited by dudeslife

I got one of the first ones in my city in 1982 as we preodered so vic 20 would have dominated 82 and when I actually started meeting other kids with computers (into 1983) they all had c64s. And I was speaking of where I lived which I doubt you would know anything about. Timeline may be a little fuzzy but close enough to support my point. I noticed you totally disregarded the vic20 that was sitting in front of c64 in my comment which is where the 1982 comes in..

Is the Vic20 really worth mentioning?

Is the Vic20 really worth mentioning?

I never owned one so I can't say. Some of my friends that had c64s had upgraded from vic20s so someone was buying them. and out computer store was exclusively Commodore, so they must have been doing a pretty good business pre64. maybe PETs in the schools, I don't know but we had a Commodore store BEFORE there was a c64.

Has nobody paid attention this documentary was scheduled several years ago, then the makers spent all the money people had prepaid and went underground, not to be reached by anyone? Now the project surfaces again, asking for more money to finish what others already paid for but never got delivered. I wasn't affected, but several of my friends who paid good money for this clearly won't get a second of video out of it unless they pay again, which gives me quite a bad taste in my mouth.

Yes, things can happen and it probably is a good thing someone from the old project tries to salvage what can be salvaged from a rather big project that initially covered far more than the Commodore chapters, but one wonders your customer rights are when it comes to prepaying and crowdfunded projects that met the goals but never deliver.

• Like 1