IGNORED

Power button is evil

atari2600land

The power switch might be getting worn out (unsurprising, given the age of the console). Fortunately, those switches are still being made and sold today, so it shouldn't be difficult to open your 7800 and replace it. Here is the correct part number from Mouser Electronics. All four 7800 console buttons use the same switch, so you might as well order a few extras in case you need to replace one of the others.

My 7800 came from Best NOS with AV mod. They refurb the old switches before shipping it out so they are like new.

Regardless I would try contact cleaner first before outright replacement which involves desoldering. You can get a can at Radio Shack and they are generally plastic safe. I had a set of 2600 paddles that worked jitter free after spraying into the pots and vigorously rotating the swiping blade. I did however get Best NOS replacement switches for my 2600 and a pair of replacement pots for my 2600 paddles but have yet to install them. I still get sparkle with the old switches but since spraying contact cleaner inside the switches, I get much less signal bunce, which is a PITA on the select switch when you're trying to flip through like 80 variations and it skips the one you want.

• 3 years later...

While cleaning the switches does help I usually find it quicker and easier to just replace them out. They aren't that expensive as I get them in small bulks from console5.com when clients want original like switches. I also use more expensive Alps brand ones and those I do order from Mouser when I need them.

https://console5.com/store/tactile-switch-12mm-x-4-5mm-atari-7800-power-pause-select-reset.html

These switches also fit in the Sega Genesis to replace worn out reset switches as well. But I also normally use a higher grade switch for those.

*ducks*

Some slightly larger, smoother-edged switches/buttons might have been nice in the design phase. They're usable enough, but a little more use-testing and a few more pennies spent, would have helped with the aesthetics and feel. It's a small thing, but it's just one little extra that can act as an incentive / disincentive to play. Maybe something around the size of the Genesis Model 2 power / reset buttons. Still pretty small, but nicely rounded. Have the same feeling about the choices around the Jag power button... it was originally meant as a CD/Console all-in-one, wasn't it, before cost issues came into play - the power button being the CD eject button? I can just feel it. Or rather I've instinctively pressed it, thinking it was...my fault, but yeah. *grumble* I'm a fussy person.

Anyways, if Curt gets around to implementing his work-alike console, with added goodies, some things need not be dogmatically adhered to. Find some comfy buttons, from other consoles or wherever. :P