Ok, on my PAL Jaguar this is now f*%cking fast. I can't see any tearing or missing road lines etc. I didn't see the previous version to compare this against though.
I really hope this is the case for you NTSC chaps too. If someone could test on a real one that would be appreciated.
Main changes made were;
- Changed the BG colour to the same green as the road sprites and remove the "Grass background sprite".
- Clip the height of the horizon mountain sprite so it never overlaps the road. I do this by setting R_sprite_height when the player presses up/down
- Move the sky sprite up with the mountains so that also doesnt overlap anything.
- Awesome Raptor patch applied to help/fix sprite wrapping. Sooooo, now the horizon moves correctly both directions and the speed changes according to turn angle and car speed.
- By default the horizon bobs and clips with the road height, however you can make it move with the road by pressing 2. Press 1 to go back to the default bobbing effect.
I prefer the default, this was just to test performance diffs.
- Changed the speed up/down code so it doesn't look so screwy now.
I really wanna get back to Astrostorm now and finish it off and iron out the last things so i'm happy so leave this as is for now (more so if NTSC is ok)
Next things to do though will be;
- Add a way to 'map' out tracks
- Have the road follow that map.
- Add a car graphic and have the player control that instead of the road.
- Other cars and scenery that all scale 90's style.
- A shitton of other stuff to make it into something playable etc etc etc
Edited by Sporadic, Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:08 PM.