IGNORED

Popeye Arcade 8-bit conversion

miker

had fun playing this in the HSC - issues with the original game but worth noting here:

the accuracy of the punching is still not good; was this an oversite or can anyone do it reliably?

the round counter is only single digit: goes back to 0 on round 10 !

• 4 weeks later...

Just played it and it totally rocks! Much better control and even better graphics now. :thumbsup:

I had a small bug. After I died, there stayed some graphics of the pm-graphics of popeye.

Maybe there will be a PopeyeArcade_v5.xex without it? ;-)

post-31072-0-65392800-1445946889_thumb.png

• Like 1

Wow .. WELL DONE! That's so amazing!

That version could easily catch up with the NES version, which was considered to be one of the best arcade conversions on that platform.

I would be interested in a detailed comparison (thanks Poison for the screenshots). The differences in the first level are tremendous !!!

• Like 2

Interesting. I have played the 5200 version much more. I'll have to try to reproduce that. Might be in the A8 conversion.

Just played it and it totally rocks! Much better control and even better graphics now. :thumbsup:

I had a small bug. After I died, there stayed some graphics of the pm-graphics of popeye.

Wow .. WELL DONE! That's so amazing!

That version could easily catch up with the NES version, which was considered to be one of the best arcade conversions on that platform.

I would be interested in a detailed comparison (thanks Poison for the screenshots). The differences in the first level are tremendous !!!

Atari is my FIRST love, but I was so into drawing Popeye, I updated the NES version too. :)

It's a couple comments down from THIS POST.

I pointed to the post with the pictures.

Edited by darryl1970

1NG, on 27 Oct 2015 - 11:58 AM, said:1NG, on 27 Oct 2015 - 11:58 AM, said:

It's a bit tricky to fix as I can't reproduce it. However I've done a couple of things which may/may not help. I applied the same changes to the original A8 version and in my clear screen hook I clear the P/M area too in case the program decides not to for some reason.

Tempest, on 27 Oct 2015 - 4:14 PM, said:Tempest, on 27 Oct 2015 - 4:14 PM, said:

Can it be made into a .CAR or .ROM file?

Yes, I used Maxflash Cartridge Studio to make a Maxflash 1mbit .CAR image containing both versions.

PopeyeArcadeV5.zip

• Like 2

It's a bit tricky to fix as I can't reproduce it. However I've done a couple of things which may/may not help. I applied the same changes to the original A8 version and in my clear screen hook I clear the P/M area too in case the program decides not to for some reason.

Yes, I used Maxflash Cartridge Studio to make a Maxflash 1mbit .CAR image containing both versions.

What are the differences between the "PopeyeArcadeV5_A8.xex" and the "PopeyeArcadeV5_5200Port.xex" versions? Thanks.

What are the differences between the "PopeyeArcadeV5_A8.xex" and the "PopeyeArcadeV5_5200Port.xex" versions? Thanks.

The 5200 (Atari's best video game system ever) and A8 (xex -- Atari Computers) are almost identical hardware, but due to hardware changes, there are small differences in the memory registers.

Due to this difference, it's not just as simple as plug and play.

The versions should appear identical from a gameplay standpoint.

Finally got to try this. It's really really nice! One question though, I noticed that Popeye's punching sprite has been changed significantly. Now his arm no longer extends way out when he punches. Has the collision detection been changed as well? It seems like now you have to punch when the object is almost right next to you rather than a fair distance away.