IGNORED

Newbie 2600 soldering question

moonDungeon

I'd bet there's a clear enough picture of a board like yours on the internet to help you see which they go, if it matters.

Did you have audio before swapping the caps?

I've searched the net for pictures and I believe they show the positive ends of both caps facing the cartridge slot but I wanted to verify here since now I have now audio after replacing the caps.

Before replacing, there was audio, but it was filled with static.

Edited by moonDungeon

Is the TV you have it hooked to a newer or older one? If newer, before you replaced anything you should have run the autoprogram to attempt to lock onto a stronger signal with the Atari powered on. Sometimes this clears things up

Is the TV you have it hooked to a newer or older one? If newer, before you replaced anything you should have run the autoprogram to attempt to lock onto a stronger signal with the Atari powered on. Sometimes this clears things up

I'm using an LCD. It's fine. It has a clear picture when connected to the Atari. It had sound before I replaced the caps--very static sound, but I could here music in games that manage that.

Small polystyrene caps like that are not polarized. The red band *may* indicate which lead connects to the outermost foil leaf in the capacitor. In some circuits it may reduce noise/interference if this lead is connected to the lowest impedance end of the circuit.

Great! This does give me some confidence. Maybe it's just a bad connection. I had trouble removing all of the original solder with my copper wick.

I'm using an LCD. It's fine. It has a clear picture when connected to the Atari. It had sound before I replaced the caps--very static sound, but I could here music in games that manage that.

Great! This does give me some confidence. Maybe it's just a bad connection. I had trouble removing all of the original solder with my copper wick.

Hopefully when removing the initial solder you didn't burn any portion of the board in the process, I know I have made that error once or twice :P