Would like some info on this Wico converter

Wico command control converter box

6 replies to this topic

#1 Rajada OFFLINE  

Rajada

Space Invader

• 39 posts

Posted Wed Sep 2, 2015 12:29 AM

Hello, I'm hoping this is the right section because I found this little interesting thing that I think is for TI computers, and I'd like a little info on it. Here's a picture...

Wicosmall.jpg

I am under the impression that this is an adapter for TI computers, and looking for a little backup on that. From what I can tell, it looks like all it does is pull some pins from each controller and route them to other pins in a different, combined configuration. Not owning a TI computer, I'm not sure it has any use to me. I might sell it, but with something this old and dirty who knows if it works. I'd appreciate any info on this thing so I can make a more educated decision, and I'd really like to know if there's any way to safely test this thing, see if it's still working. I had a thought to test it on an Atari 2600, but I wouldn't want to risk shorting anything unless I was certain it would be harmless.

Edited by Rajada, Wed Sep 2, 2015 12:29 AM.

#2 jedimatt42 OFFLINE  

jedimatt42

Stargunner

• 1,815 posts

Posted Wed Sep 2, 2015 12:44 AM

If you google these words,

ti atari joystick adapter

You'll find a schematic, and can test it with a continuity meter.

It should allow connecting 2 2600 type joysticks to the TI's single dual joystick port.

It will do nothing useful connected to a 2600.

#3 Rajada OFFLINE  

Rajada

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 39 posts

Posted Wed Sep 2, 2015 1:21 AM

Nothing useful, or nothing at all? With a proper pinout of an Atari 2600 joystick port I thought I could at least verify continuity by observing effects on games. As long as it wouldn't short my system of course. I'm just not sure my multimeter probes will fit in those tiny recessed holes.

#4 Schmitzi OFFLINE  

Schmitzi

River Patroller

• 4,377 posts
  • ToXiC

Posted Wed Sep 2, 2015 2:05 AM

Hi,

I think it is for connecting the Atari-Joysticks to the TI-99/4 and 4A,

but not vice versa.

#5 Rajada OFFLINE  

Rajada

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 39 posts

Posted Wed Sep 2, 2015 2:12 AM

Well it turns out I had some leftover 9pin connectors from fixing my paddle controllers and building an Omega Race adapter, so I plugged those in and used them as contact points. That was far easier, and I got readings on all the proper pins. So now that I know this thing is working, I guess I just have to decide what to do with it. If it was busted I was going to use it for parts, but it would seem a shame to waste it after I read about how god-awful those TI controllers were.

#6 Rajada OFFLINE  

Rajada

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 39 posts

Posted Thu Sep 3, 2015 10:11 PM

Well, just to let anyone who stumbles on this topic know, I sold this device. Just hoping they get to use it, it certainly wasn't doing anything over here.

#7 Opry99er OFFLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• 9,797 posts

Posted Mon Sep 7, 2015 9:43 AM

Good to know it went to a good home. These are very good adapters.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Wico, command, control, converter, box

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users