IGNORED

Which Mega Man game in the original series is your absolute favorite?

Which Mega Man game in the original series is your favorite?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Your favorite original series Mega Man game is?

• Mega Man
    • Mega Man 2
    • Mega Man 3
    • Mega Man 4
    • Mega Man 5
    • Mega Man 6
    • Mega Man 7
    • Mega Man 8
    • Mega Man 9
    • Mega Man 10

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Hey gang! I decided to make a poll about the "Blue Bomber". Out of all the original series Mega Man games released in nearly a quarter century span from the first in 1987 to the tenth in 2010. Which of the ten games is your favorite. Mine is a tossup between 2 and 3. But have to give the slight edge to the second installment. The music is superb, debut of passwords and energy tanks, two levels of difficulty (normal and difficult), difficult is still relatively not too hard, and some of the most innovative robot masters. 3 has some of the great features like the second and can do multiple things like jumping high (especially when falling into a hole), freezing enemies, and slow motion using controller 2. The debut of your canine companion Rush was a great feature. Help you navigate over pits, reach high places, and navigate underwater. And also his brother Protoman makes his debut. The negative though is Dr. Wily's Skull Castle was not much of a challenge and was too easy and short in my honest opinion. My vote goes for number 2 with 3 being a very very close second. Which is your favorite one in the series?

• Like 2

Oh I was just going on about the merits of 3 in that comfort food thread. I absolutely love the atmospheric music. The opening melody is haunting and memorable. The plot, which yeah is mostly told through the manual, is pretty great and I love the stuff they do with Protoman. It is a very long game and the idea of revisiting the stages after you beat them and seeing everything smashed up and destroyed is absolutely awesome.

The ending has quite a bit of finality to it. I've never looked into it but was this game meant to be the last one of the series before 4 came along?

• Like 1

Never been able to get into this series. I've started the first one a few times, but it instantly seems like an unfair PitA and I end up quitting.

1 is a bit of a bitch but even 2 and 3 which are the best balanced of the original series have some PitA parts where you're basically going to die the first time you see something. The series didn't get really accessible until Mega Man X came along. It's somewhat challenging but not very unfair and a good intro to the series. Though it will spoil you for a bit since you get a lot of extra powers and abilities that don't exist in the main series.

When 10 came out it had this hilarious "easy mode" where bridges spawned above every single spike pit.

• Like 1

Mega Man 1: Very tough game, but numerous times I've beaten it without losing a single life. Hate the instant death to spikes when temporarily invincible after being touched by an enemy. Great soundtrack and innovative robot bosses. Has more of an arcade feel as there is a score indicated.

Mega Man 2: My favorite and a great one to start with if you are new to the series. Can save your progress by jotting the password then inputting it later, the ability to stock up to 4 energy tanks to refill your life, the music and soundtrack is awesome and my favorite and most memorable, and the robot bosses again are innovative. A very high replay value.

Mega Man 3: A very very close second to my favorite. The difficulty is perfect but way too easy in Wily's castle. Rush and Proto Man debut, outstanding soundtrack again, excellent robot bosses, and battling Doc Robot who mimics the MM2 bosses. The gameplay is a bit smoother and like the sliding feature.

Mega Man 4: A total letdown and my least favorite in the series. The difficulty increases a bit. The level design in most spots are tricky to manuever, tougher robot bosses especially Bright Man (Biggest a-hole robot master in the whole series!), Rush jet was poorly exectued, and first of 3 games that another antagonist is who you go after instead of Wily, but will be later on. Eddie makes his debut and delivers a power up in some areas. The Mega Buster was a great feature but somewhat flawed in this game. The music was not as catchy, but some decent ones.

Mega Man 5: The most underrated and overshadowed in my honest opinion. Lots of the levels are unique and fun to play like Star Man and Gravity Man. Beat make it's debut after you collect the Mega Man V cards. I enjoy the newer sound effects. The robot bosses difficultybwas toned down. The Mega Buster was more polished and better. The soundtrack improved. The gripe is (fake) Protoman's fortress is a tad too dificult. All in all a very solid comeback after a disappointing fourth.

Mega Man 6: I thought that one was a little too easy. A terrible plot and the game seemed rush and had some of the lamest robot master names. Some levels you have to choose the right exit to acquire Beat. Who bought into the Mr. X guy thinking it wasn't Wily. Pretty obvious. I do like the Rush power suit though and is a pretty creative item. The music was not as good and disappointing.

Mega Man 7: A great effort on the SNES and highly anticipated to see the first 16 bit version. Like the idea of collecting bolts to acquire items, difficulty is tough but fair; except for Wily (a total ass in this one), fun levels to play, great soundtrack especially the Ghosts n Goblins music easter egg in Shade Man when you push all buttons when starting the level. Fun to find certain items with Rush Search. The mega buster sound is a bit weak and sounds like a pea shooter.A great effort and game for the SNES.

Mega Man 8: Another great one in my honest opinion. The difficulty is spiked a bit but doable. The Mega Ball is a fun unique weapon. The soundtrack is great, but some sound effects are not as good especially the squishing sounds when landing. Fun to find all 40 bolts and decide which items to have in your arsenal. The robot masters I thought were too easy. The levels are fun and real colorful graphics. The hoverboard stages are pretty tough and hearing the "jump jump, slide slide" is rather annoying.

Mega Man 9: Never played

Mega Man 10: Never played

• Like 2

I confess, I'd really only played the first two games much when I was young, with a little of the third from time to time. I was never a fanatic for the series, just a casual player, and never had an NES of my own until about '97. I'm working on a play through of 1-6 now, and so far, Mega Man 2 has been my favorite. Everything clicks. The music is fantastic, the levels make some kind of sense, and it's tough but still playable. But that's also probably because I'm not very good, and the easier difficulty helps me make my way through. But who knows, I could be clouded by nostalgia. But boy-oh-boy is Mega Man 2 lots and lots of fun.

In fact, I'm going to go play it right now.

• Like 1

Mega Man 2 for me. At one point I would have said Mega Man 3, but playing both a lot again recently I can tell they rushed the last few Wily stages on part 3. Mega Man 2 is the better flowing game overall with a reasonable amount of challenge throughout and it's nice that some brainpower is required to see through Wily's stages.

• Like 2

Mega Man 5: The most underrated and overshadowed in my honest opinion. Lots of the levels are unique and fun to play like Star Man and Gravity Man. Beat make it's debut after you collect the Mega Man V cards. I enjoy the newer sound effects. The robot bosses difficultybwas toned down. The Mega Buster was more polished and better. The soundtrack improved. The gripe is (fake) Protoman's fortress is a tad too dificult. All in all a very solid comeback after a disappointing fourth.

Hi Keith,

I have Mega Man 1-6 for the NES loose. Out of all the titles that I collected for the NES, Mega Man 5 was the most expensive to acquire for my collection at the time. I do have to concur on what you mention that MM5 was definitely a title that was given the cold shoulder by many. Which was unfortunate because this was truly an excellent title from A-Z when playing it.

Hope others would give this a second chance. Truly a remarkable little gem I must say!

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224
  • Like 1

"I have Mega Man 1-6 for the NES loose."

Did you buy them when they were still a decent price? The prices have shot up so much.

Now the dirt cheap PS2 collection seems the way to go.

I purchased them when they were at a low price point period during 1997-2001 at local mom & pop stores when I was in H.S. at locations in the Bronx and lower Westchester county area in New York.

Mega Man was $3.00

Mega Man 2 was $2.00

Mega Man 3 was $5.00

Mega Man 4 was $8.00

Mega Man 5 was $21.00

Mega Man 6 was $12.00

Still remember the prices because they were too tempting to ignore. I don't know the latest pricing on them, But I can imagine they went up .

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224
  • Like 1

Look up how much Mega Man 5 is going for now, just for the cart. Holy crap.

The $21 that you paid now seems like a fantastic deal.

Thanks!

A $107.49 dollars for a buy it now auction for just a loose copy of Mega Man 5? And that's the cheapest? Amazing!

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224

I purchased them when they were at a low price point period during 1997-2001 at local mom & pop stores when I was in H.S. at locations in the Bronx and lower Westchester county area in New York.

Mega Man was $3.00

Mega Man 2 was $2.00

Mega Man 3 was $5.00

Mega Man 4 was $8.00

Mega Man 5 was $21.00

Mega Man 6 was $12.00

Still remember the prices because they were too tempting to ignore. I don't know the latest pricing on them, But I can imagine they went up .

Anthony...

Wow!! You got all six for just over $50!!?? That's awesome!! I still have all mine from when I was younger too. I got 2 first in 1990, 3 in 1991, the first in 1992, then 4 in 2000, and in 2001 got 5 and 6. I have 7 for the Super Famicom as the SNES version's price is insane and have 8 for the PS. I also have the Anniversary Collection for the PS2. I have the X Collection as well plus X7 and X8. I truly enjoy the Mega Man series.

post-32978-0-61027400-1441319266_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Wow!! You got all six for just over $50!!?? That's awesome!! I still have all mine from when I was younger too. I got 2 first in 1990, 3 in 1991, the first in 1992, then 4 in 2000, and in 2001 got 5 and 6. I have 7 for the Super Famicom as the SNES version's price is insane and have 8 for the PS. I also have the Anniversary Collection for the PS2. I have the X Collection as well plus X7 and X8. I truly enjoy the Mega Man series.

That's awesome Keith.

Yeah, most of the Mega Man NES (NES games in general) were disregarded when the PS1 was popular in my location. So they were practically giving them away during this down period. Most of my deals were in the Bronx and Westchester county were many were discounted so low that nobody wanted them.

Love the X series for the Super NES, did a lot of renting at Blockbuster for them! Unfortunately I stopped collecting Mega Man games after the NES. During my college years, I started to concentrate on getting into my passion with Neo-Geo. I always wanted to get back into collecting with Mega Man stuff, but Neo-Geo has been my primary objective as of late getting the NGDEVTEAM games and rare AES titles.

However, the Mega Man series will always play an important role growing up. My mother actually like the series as well and liked MM 2 & 3 the ,most! :-D

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224
  • Like 1

Forgot to mention that I have the complete series on Game Boy as well. I remember that there was going to be a compilation cart for the Game Boy Advance shortly after the release of The Anniversary Collection in Summer 2004. It was going to be called "Mega Man Mania", but throughout the rest of the year and throughout 2005 it was delayed and put off. Until early 2006 they decided to cancel the release due to Capcom unable to get the source code. I wanted to see it released due to the fact the games were going to be in all color.

post-32978-0-28114900-1441326511_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Forgot to mention that I have the complete series on Game Boy as well. I remember that there was going to be a compilation cart for the Game Boy Advance shortly after the release of The Anniversary Collection in Summer 2004. It was going to be called "Mega Man Mania", but throughout the rest of the year and throughout 2005 it was delayed and put off. Until early 2006 they decided to cancel the release due to Capcom unable to get the source code. I wanted to see it released due to the fact the games were going to be in all color.

attachicon.gif20150903_192016.jpg

That's one of the areas that I wanted to collect after the NES series of Mega Man. Now you got me pondering again Keith to go after them! :grin:

Anthony...

• Like 1

KB was glorious for NES games in the mid 90s. I think Metroid was the last new in box NES game I picked up, also at KB. I was actually pretty disappointed with it at the time because I'd already had Super Metroid for a couple years and it was SO MUCH BETTER.

This topic got me fooling around a bit with Mega Man 6, which is one I have not played very heavily. Holy crap Yamato Man is a laugher. He might have my vote for easiest stage in the original series.

I've played quite a number of Mega Man games in my day... I grew up more during the period of the latter series, (Mega Man X was the first Mega Man game in my early memories) and I have played a title from every series (if not a majority of titles overall).

Mega Man Legends was magical. I really enjoyed my time with this game. Super glad I obtained all the games in this series (First, second, N64 port, and Misadventures of Tron Bonne) because these games are all super expensive now. Fantastic series and just really, really, REALLY wish Capcom would let the third game be finished. T-T

Mega Man Battle Network was one of my favorite GBA titles. They were all pretty great in general, but I felt they lost their flavor at about 4.... Didn't play 5 or 6.
Mega Man Zero was too hard for me back in the day. I believe I beat the first one at some point, but I didn't give it a lot of time outside of that.

Mega Man ZX is one the least talked about gems. It's a mix between what Mega Man X was and what Mega Man Zero brought to the game. A great set of games that I'm hoping to re-obtain some day.

Mega Man Star Force was a strange twist on the Battle Network series. I only played the first title in the series, but they were still pretty cool for what they were. Never played past the first one although I'd certainly like to give them a shot...

When it comes to the Original and X... I'd honestly choose X every time (up until anything after the fourth title). I grew up with X and just enjoyed having a great and easier time. At the same time though, I've played through all of the Original series and beat everything except Mega Man 9 and 10. (I own them both though!) All of the Mega Man games are great for one reason or another... Having grown up with almost all the series BUT the one talked about here makes it hard for me to choose. XD

In the end, it would probably come down between 2 and 3, as most of you are. I'm going to choose 2 over 3 for a few reasons though.

2 has my favorite assortment of Robot Masters.
I really love the music from 2 (although 3 is easily equal in that regard).

2 is a nice middle ground of difficulty compared to the games before and after it. It's difficult but not absurd like the first one felt. (I also sucked at 3.)

Final statement? Mega Man is great no matter what iteration you play as him, but I'm choosing 2 over 3 for the Original series.

See people say 3 is hard but I don't see it. Not in the game that has the freaking Rush Jet.

My one issue is Magnet Man. He's the easiest boss but his level is total bullshit. I save him till I have the jet. Seriously fuck those disappearing platforms.

Top Man and Hard Man are ~super easy~ with the Mega Buster and hell, even though Shadow Man is a fast little bastard, I'd still rather take him on with the mega buster than try to use Top Spin on him.

Once those three are down the rest of them drop like flies. There's some shit in Spark Man's revisited stage once you're working on the clones of the MM2 bosses but nothing to tough. Wiley's Fortress isn't that bad either.

Edited by Algus