IGNORED

Which Mega Man game in the original series is your absolute favorite?

Which Mega Man game in the original series is your favorite?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Your favorite original series Mega Man game is?

• Mega Man
    • Mega Man 2
    • Mega Man 3
    • Mega Man 4
    • Mega Man 5
    • Mega Man 6
    • Mega Man 7
    • Mega Man 8
    • Mega Man 9
    • Mega Man 10

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I think Bright Man in Mega Man 4 is the absolute hardest level. I breeze through Flash Man and Magnet Man. I never cared for the 4th one at all. And it seemed to fall flat in comparison to the others. I agree with Yamato Man's stage in the 6th version. It is way too short!! It's funny, I can beat Mega Man 1 without losing a single life and die like 8 times in the 4th one. Well this past week I played and beat the 6 original NES games from start to finish.

post-32978-0-61861100-1441494409.jpeg

post-32978-0-24663600-1441494427.jpeg

post-32978-0-05718100-1441494440.jpeg

post-32978-0-33292600-1441494459.jpeg

post-32978-0-83584700-1441494474.jpeg

post-32978-0-36749400-1441494498.jpeg

• Like 1

I thought Flash Man was hard? His level was crazy for one thing. I often did him last just because of the level.

Do you mean Spark Man? He has a lot of bullshit with spikes (though worse when you revisit his stage to fight the dupes from MM2). I have an easier time with those then I do with the blocks in Magnet Man's stage. I simply cannot get the timing down (though granted I haven't put in much effort in the last fifteen years or so since I usually just get the Jet before dealing with those stages).

Flash Man is a boss in MM2 who has a super easy stage and is only marginally harder than Wood Man ;)

There's a boss in the first Mega Man that has those damn disappearing platforms too. The snow guy, Snow Man? Ice Man? I suck at that level too.

There's a boss in the first Mega Man that has those damn disappearing platforms too. The snow guy, Snow Man? Ice Man? I suck at that level too.

Ice Man's stage is a bitch. When I first played the game years ago, I had the hardest time clearing the long gap with those platforms that fire at you. As you are standing on them and when they fired there is a glitch of some sort in the game that made you fall and lose a life. I use to get so pissed. That is when the magnet beam is your best friend in that level.

• Like 1

Ice Man's stage is a bitch. When I first played the game years ago, I had the hardest time clearing the long gap with those platforms that fire at you. As you are standing on them and when they fired there is a glitch of some sort in the game that made you fall and lose a life. I use to get so pissed. That is when the magnet beam is your best friend in that level.

Yep, just like the Time Stopper is your friend in Quick Man's level. But in the case of Quick Man, if you don't want to waste too much time refilling the Time Stopper's meter by harvesting weapon capsules just before the boss door (since the Time Stopper is the weapon to use against Quick Man) you have to master passing the laser beam screens without using the Time Stopper. It's doable, but your reflexes must be downright perfect. :)

• Like 1

Yep, just like the Time Stopper is your friend in Quick Man's level. But in the case of Quick Man, if you don't want to waste too much time refilling the Time Stopper's meter by harvesting weapon capsules just before the boss door (since the Time Stopper is the weapon to use against Quick Man) you have to master passing the laser beam screens without using the Time Stopper. It's doable, but your reflexes must be downright perfect. :)

Yes, and also most importantly Mega Man's placement as you descend downwards. One wrong area will get you hit without any time to progress. I usually never use the time stopper as I have played Mega Man 2 for the last 25 years and is one of my all time favoritebNES games. I know the area by heart.

I am pretty terribad at Mega Man 9 but the shop system makes it easy enough to farm stuff to get through the bosses. Granted that doesn't really help with some of the stages. They really went crazy with spike traps in those games. But I'm awful at 9 for about the same reason I am awful at 1. Rush is a huge crutch for me LOL

10 has a "beginner mode" that blocks off all spike traps and reduces the damage you take. I dont think it is as rough as MM9 but both of them are absolutely unforgiving when it comes to instant death traps.

They both play more like MM1. No charge shot, etc. which made the later games a bit easier.

10 has a "beginner mode" that blocks off all spike traps and reduces the damage you take. I dont think it is as rough as MM9 but both of them are absolutely unforgiving when it comes to instant death traps.

They both play more like MM1. No charge shot, etc. which made the later games a bit easier.

That is kind of weird that 10 has a beginner mode. So a bridge covers spike traps and Mega Man takes far less damage? That is kind of lame and takes the challenge and aspect of the game away.

Never been able to get into this series. I've started the first one a few times, but it instantly seems like an unfair PitA and I end up quitting.

I played MM2 in emulation over the long weekend. I thought it was pretty great. I'd heard very little about the details of the game, but I got some advice somewhere to start with MetalMan - so I did.

I did use savestates in a few places just to avoid repeating some jumpy/platformy stuff and that also helped me prevent grinding by farming energy tanks after a continue. Nothing in the game made me think that I wouldn't enjoy playing it again with or without savestates.

Great music!

• Like 1

I played MM2 in emulation over the long weekend. I thought it was pretty great. I'd heard very little about the details of the game, but I got some advice somewhere to start with MetalMan - so I did.

I did use savestates in a few places just to avoid repeating some jumpy/platformy stuff and that also helped me prevent grinding by farming energy tanks after a continue. Nothing in the game made me think that I wouldn't enjoy playing it again with or without savestates.

Great music!

Awesome!! I'm glad you reconsidered and gave it a try. :) For an added bonus. Play Metal Man when you are in Dr. Wily's skull fortress when you have to fight the robot masters again. Mega Man 2 and 3 is the best ones to start with in the series. The difficulty is on the easier side. My preferred order is Metal Man, Wood Man, Air Man, Crash Man, Bubble Man, Heat Man, Flash Man, Quick Man.

Awesome!! I'm glad you reconsidered and gave it a try. :) For an added bonus. Play Metal Man when you are in Dr. Wily's skull fortress when you have to fight the robot masters again. Mega Man 2 and 3 is the best ones to start with in the series. The difficulty is on the easier side. My preferred order is Metal Man, Wood Man, Air Man, Crash Man, Heat Man, Bubble Man, Flash Man, Quick Man.

Don't you mean Bubble Man, then Heat Man? :)

• Like 1

In MM2 I always thought Wood Man and Flash Man were the easiest bosses. It is a great game though.

As someone just experiencing the game for the first time, I didn't always know the rock paper scissors combo to use on the bosses. I got lucky with one where I put up the wood shield and just stood there while the boss killed himself on me. I think that could'a been air man? Bubbles make the fight with Heat Man pretty easy, and I did guess that one. However the Wood Man battle was kinda tricky as his leaves are a bit harder to jump than some of the other boss attacks. I think I was using the MetalMan attack on him and it seems only slightly more effective than the regular attack.

For Flash Man, I'm almost certain that I beat him without a death on my first try - not sure which combo that I used.

For those who are interested, Mike Matei (the Angry Video Game Nerd's main henchman) did a Livestream of himself playing Mega Man 2 on Difficult. It's a pretty good run of the game. He's a lot better at controlling his jumps in Bubble Man's stage than I am.

http://cinemassacre.com/2015/08/29/mega-man-2-on-hard-live-stream-with-mike/

I don't recall ever getting so much utility out of Metal Man's power but I'm more of an X guy (because its an easier series, lolamirite?!) so I'm used to using the regular shot for EVERYTHING. I might have to replay this one again next weekend. Not as many memories of it as MM3 (thats the one we owned whereas MM2 was just a rental) but its still a fine game.

• 2 weeks later...

I just thought of another reason why Mega Man 2 is my all-time favorite NES Mega Man game: The ending music. The simulated "guitar solo" near the end still gives me chills even today! No other Mega Man game has had a better ending music tune since then, IHMO. :)

Agree!! I also like the segment after defeating Wily when Mega Man is walking home through all four of the seasons. The Leaf Shield representing Autumn, snowflakes that look like Metal Blades representing Winter, flower petals looking like Quick Boomerangs to representIng Spring, and then rain drops flash off into clear weather from Time Stopper representing Summer. The first three do have the best ending soundtrack. But my favorite is definetley Mega Man 2. Mega Man 3's is awesome too.

For those who are interested, Mike Matei (the Angry Video Game Nerd's main henchman) did a Livestream of himself playing Mega Man 2 on Difficult.

Just a heads up for those who still aren't aware of this, but there isn't actually a "Difficult" mode for this game. The localization added in an "Easy" mode.

anyone ever play the crazy terrible dos megaman games?

Oh yeah, I had both games years ago. I got good enough at the first one that I could finish it in just under 15 minutes.

But yeah, they were terrible. :P But strangely, they have a sort of cult following. Some re-drew the Robot Masters in the japanese style just for fun, while others tried to make NES-style level music for them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKkLmE8C-Rw

Some even tried to remake them, NES-style:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NO_cTl7hHlk

anyone ever play the crazy terrible dos megaman games?

Yep, I had both back in the day and played them a lot. Could run through both without any issues. Like a lot of early MS-DOS platformers, they were kind of clunky but still totally playable. Level design wasn't anywhere near up to par with the original Capcom-developed games, but I still liked them back then.