IGNORED

proto atari 2600 pepsi invaders . Anyone have any info on this one?

mr.bill

I have had this proto for about 30 years now. I thought it was cool, so it always was in my personal pile. I pretty much quit collecting carts around that time as thats when I got into arcade games.

I dug it out partially because of a thread I replied to last month that got renewed recently about a malagai cart I have. Now that I have found it(Have not tested it), I noticed that mine is an actual atari proto board and not the single chip production style that most people have/was normally out there. I was mainly curious if one like this has popped up before? It has a production date so maybe someone can see if it matches up with what the dump of it is.

I was reading in the wikipedia thread that the programmer did not remember putting the coke wins into it. I am pretty sure thats what this one says when you die, but its been at least 25+ years since I last plugged it in. I will report back with some screen shots.

here are pics of the cart. I don't exactly remember how I got it. but for those that know me, I have quite a few lab labels and other protos I found back in the day. I just never gave this one much thought as It did not occur to me that it was different. collecting info 30 years ago was far different than it is today..

front_10.jpg

back_1.jpg

This one was also in the box. I forgot I had it..

philly.jpg

• Like 1

I don't know as I don't have access to the regular one. I will play it and watch the youtube video. I might try to make a video if something is different.

Here are screen shots. I barely found parts to get it running. Video is pretty bad I need to work on that It does say coke wins before you start the game. the boot screen shows a time of 2:30 where another screen shot I saw online shows a time 3:00

screen1_13.jpg

screen2_11.jpg

Edited by mr.bill

ok, I watched the video online. 1 big difference I can see right away from the youtube video is that I can see my shot. For some reason you cant see your shot in the 4 youtube videos I found online.

here are the online vids with no shot. The sounds sound about the same. I shot the saucer twice. I guess I need to make a video. Seems like mine is a complete game.

correct that, the shot seems to look like it dissapears and occasionally comes back in the 2nd video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gbFuG90HeM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU6BSlp4o-w

the other big difference is the game play time. mine is 2:30

Edited by mr.bill

Cool! The no bullets thing is just a frame rate issue, the bullets flicker and somehow all those videos cut out all the frames that had the player's fire in them.

You are right though, the 'released' game played for 3:00, so that is a difference for sure right there.

Do you remember how you got this cartridge? Also, we'd love to see the other prototypes you have :)

Cool! The no bullets thing is just a frame rate issue, the bullets flicker and somehow all those videos cut out all the frames that had the player's fire in them.

You are right though, the 'released' game played for 3:00, so that is a difference for sure right there.

Do you remember how you got this cartridge? Also, we'd love to see the other prototypes you have :)

collecting back in the early 80's was far different than today. I used to hit fleamarkets all over california (I think I did like 7 in 1 day a few times, but usually it was just 3 or 4). you could leave a vectrex behind and it would be there next week.. Hell, I left the proto 2600 rc stella behind (2700) at a fleamarket as I thought it was just another 2600 knockoff.. I got home and did some research and figured out what it was.. The guy was a regular and back either the next week or the following week and I snagged that..

I really can't remember how I got it. I used to grab protos whenever I saw them. I remember some guy had a suitcase and it had like 20 5200 lab labels in it. Back then I did not know what a system x was. He probably had one and I left it behind. I found my system x many years later. that one was given to him by a former student or friend of his who was working at atari. I think it was system x, a few protos, and most of the production carts.

When I got into buying/selling arcade games, I used to ask people if they had any atari memorabilia. I got a few things like that too. Back in the day a few local collectors would meet and trade carts. But I doubt anyone would have traded that.

I got the rom archive from atari from a local surplus place. the owner called me and said he got about 1000 eproms of stuff from atari. Thats how I got 2600 sinistar and 2600 tempest. I think there are other protos in that box, but I have never sat down to look through them all. It had the ntsc and pal versions of the atari games with a log book tracking info on them. It has 2600, coleco, intv and atari 8bit eproms (but 95% is 2600).

It probably came from some random fleamarket guy who either worked at atari or got it from a friend who did. Like I said, I knew it was rare. I thought it was cool, so I kept it with my stash. Never gave it much thought that it could have been different.

There is one 5200 cart that I always wanted to find more info on. I think its in a 5200 sega style cart and I think it says "mr boston" or was it "readers digest"(or both) on a small white label. It did not work when I got it. I need to mess with it. MAybe get my buddy to check the rom data to see whats on the chips.

As for my other protos, I think all the rest are known. Back when I went through chemo I knew I had to deal with the rare UA protos I had. So I sold the pleadies, funky fish, and cat trax off so they would not get lost. I also sold the 5200 menu cart too. I Still might have a different rom version of stuff like last star fighter, mebzork, track and field, black belt, ect. Thats something I need to check. The only stuff that could be new is in the rom archive. I think there might be mindlink stuff in there. I remember one box saying something like mindmaze or something like that. There were some empty boxes in there that had interesting names.

Edited by mr.bill
  • Like 4

the log book is very interesting. but unfortunately, it was probably 1 book out of maybe 10 or 15 book collection. As labeled its outside developers. I think the guy that snagged it from atari, did not care about the books.

As for the protos, sinistar is the same version all of you have. My copy is probably the copy that all of you have. Way back in the day I traded it and tempest to kurt and he or one of his pals probably made repro carts out of it. I only took pics of the sinistar roms, so I am not sure on the tempest roms, I but I would bet that my data is out there too. I really can't comment on how complete of versions they are. Back when I got them, I was sort of done with collecting carts. Someone called me to save it and I did.

Just to let you know, thats just one box of eproms. There are 4 or 5 more cases like that. One is half filled as it deals with coleco, intv, and either 5200 or 8bit.

To answer the question of the other chips being dumped, No one has touched these since I got them other than to pull and trade tempest and sinistar. I did consider selling them all back about 15 years ago when I was going through chemo, but I put that off and only dealt the the UA 2600 protos that I am sure a few of you have.

When I have time, I might spend some time and catalog whats in the cases. I might mess with stuff that is/might be proto, but I don't have the time or the desire to check every single version. I would more than likely just sell it all to someone and they can decide on how generous they want to be with the data.

my biggest question is about the readers digest 5200 cart. Anyone have any info. Next chance I get I will take to a friend of mine and have him dump the rom data and try to look through the data to see what it is.

That cart is puzzling, I would love to see the binaries.

Am I the only one that noticed that log bok says Bugs Bunny 5200? I've never heard of Bugs Bunny for the 5200 unless that was an early name/placeholder for Looney Tunes Hotel.

That would make sense but I would love for logic to be misplaced on this one as Bugs Bunny on the 5200 would be sweet!

Just to let you know, thats just one box of eproms. There are 4 or 5 more cases like that. One is half filled as it deals with coleco, intv, and either 5200 or 8bit.

I'd love to know what the intv stuff is. Are you referring to M Network for Atari stuff or actual Intellivision protos? I might know a guy who'd be interested in buying that stuff. ?

I'd love to know what the intv stuff is. Are you referring to M Network for Atari stuff or actual Intellivision protos? I might know a guy who'd be interested in buying that stuff.

I am pretty sure it was the atarisoft intv games I did not test them as I did not have a proto intv cart. I think each case had 3 chips in it. But don't hold me to that they had 3 chips in each case..

I will make a point to check that box too see if the chips are inside and if they have a date code. Some of the cases that had labels were empty. Maybe they were out for test/update, but it makes to sense to me to make a label and not have anything in the box..

Edited by mr.bill

I am pretty sure it was the atarisoft intv games I did not test them as I did not have a proto intv cart. I think each case had 3 chips in it. But don't hold me to that they had 3 chips in each case..

I will make a point to check that box too see if the chips are inside and if they have a date code. Some of the cases that had labels were empty. Maybe they were out for test/update, but it makes to sense to me to make a label and not have anything in the box..

Well I'd definitely be interested in any of the Inty and CV stuff if you were going to be parting with it.